snowshoe hares in the hole?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

adirondackjoe

snowshoe hares in the hole?

Post by adirondackjoe »

hey all you hare hunters out there,ever had a hare "hole up" on you? in 50 years i've seen it twice. once in a rock ledge and once in a woodchuck hole yet i've had guys tell me they NEVER go in a hole. what say u guys?

Budd

Re: snowshoe hares in the hole?

Post by Budd »

Once in a ground hog hole, dogs were putting it to him.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

They most certainly do, I think more often than we think. Usually under a blow down or natural depression or in a rocky area. Most often it is to stay out of severe weather. Although it is more the exception than the rule I have seen them go into rocks, stumps and pipe culverts when they are extremely pressured as a last resort. Glad they do it, as I don't like to see a dead hare anymore.

44magman

Post by 44magman »

I have only had it happen once that I know of the hare was hit with a couple pellets but ran a couple more circles and the dogs were putting the pressure on and he went into a pile of lumber scraps most of the dogs milled around looking for the track but one of my males wanted him and tried to follow him in the lumber pile. Thank god my dogs handle good I was able to call him out .had a shock collar on but did not want to shock him for showing desire to get the hare.

island hare chas'r

Post by island hare chas'r »

COUPLE OF YEARS AGO WATCHING BEAGLES, SHOW TREED ON GARMIN. WHEN WENT IN TO INVESTIGATE HAD A "SHOE" IN A CREVISE ON A ROCK. I THINK IT WAS JUST TOO MUCH HEAT THAT THE GRANPY DOGS WERE PUTTING ON IT!!!!

packmaster

Post by packmaster »

had them go in root systems under the cedars,and also in some hollow logs,but most of the time they dig em out.

Sundown Beagles

Post by Sundown Beagles »

Im no expert on hare but we had 3 go to holes this year that we verified. One we watched get jumped ran right to a rock pile. I dont think it happens alot but in some cases it does happen.