A good hard hunt line??

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

NorthBranch Rummer

Re: A good hard hunt line??

Post by NorthBranch Rummer »

We used a Half Lesage Patch- half Reffetts/Northway dog and had great luck increasing the hunt in our dogs. And put more control without sacrificing much of our foot.
Last edited by NorthBranch Rummer on Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluegrass Boy 01

Post by Bluegrass Boy 01 »

Northern tracker or Jiggs bred hounds are some hunting machines & cross good with Indian hills
MF Kennels
Home of- FWR HBCH GRCH LPRCH TURNER'S TRAP SHOOTING LUKE (R.I.P)

Former Home of-
HBCH Flannery's Good Juke Bo Duke
HBCH Flannery's Deuce's Wild (R.I.P.)

www.facebook.com/mfkennels

Chase Em' Down

Post by Chase Em' Down »

Thanks all of yal. He already has tracker up close. What about ranger dan or tadpole?

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

I have 2 Awful Bawlin Verswacker females with different dams. They both have really good hunt.

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

i have both line you mentioned and both hunt hard. both jump dogs.

hurryup

Post by hurryup »

I guess people have different idea of what a hard hunter is.. Funny when you draw them in a hunt they are not. :D
Visit Our Website

Hurry Up Beagles.Com

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

hurryup wrote:I guess people have different idea of what a hard hunter is.. Funny when you draw them in a hunt they are not. :D

Amen to that !!! Lots of guys think a hound that walks thru the woods with its nose to the ground looking for a line is hunt. Said it before and will say it again, A lot of guys don't know what a good hound is.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

Hound bashing. How did this thread turn into hound bashing. If you aren't contributing positively STFU!

hurryup

Post by hurryup »

Your exactly right Like fast. I feel like if you wanna judge a dogs hunt turn them loose solo an see how hard n far they range an how many they jump with minimal walking. Other words don't walk them onto a rabbit.
Visit Our Website

Hurry Up Beagles.Com

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Buckeye Blues wrote:Hound bashing. How did this thread turn into hound bashing. If you aren't contributing positively STFU!

I don't see any bashing going on.

I agree likemfast... I noticed some are satisfied that their hounds aren't standing at their feet.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Stress from life and the holidays brings out our best.....lol :lol:

I agree with what people call hunt, varies greatly.

Dogs leaving an area also doesn't define hunt....means dogs look wider....doesn't mean they hunt just means the go farther.

Good hunters can range out 30 yards, then some blow out 200 and they are the hard hunters? Why not find the rabbit where they are not the next hillside over?

I have seen many ranger Dan hounds. Some hunted hard some average. I have seen many stay busy but not jump rabbits, even ranged out farther like some enjoy, ones that really looked for rabbits were best hunters. Seen a few of those in ranger Dan line.

Yet to see a line, or strain, of hounds that all hunted hard and jumped a ton of rabbits. Seen lots of busy lookers, not jumpers. Big difference......IMO.

Chase Em' Down

Post by Chase Em' Down »

Im meaning i want my male to throw more hunt/search because when hes hunting in a big pack he likes to just run around full speed trying to hurry and get the front. Yes i like this but then again look at all the rabbits he could be passin up bunkered down tight. And at loss he likes to swing on the check. I want him to throw something that is just a little tighter.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

chase em down, Not bashing your hound but just consider this for a moment. have you considered breeding a hound that has the positive attributes you like to another just like him. Instead of trying to breed something that has attributes you don't like to something that does. Do you think that when mating hounds that if both have the qualities you like , your chances if ending up with what you like would be higher than if only one parent had what you were looking for. It is called breeding similar hounds as opposed to breeding dis-similar hounds, good luck!

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

I've owned and ran with and hunted a lot of Indian Hills,Ace In the Hole,Jigs,New City hounds.Most had respectable hunt and were looking for a rabbit instead of a track once they figured things out.I knew of some tight line bred Jigs dogs that were briar busten maniacs.They had one big fault though they were hot blooded and would fight at the drop of a hat just about to the death.The guy that had them liked them that way.Tough and gritty doesn't began to describe them though.Lately I've seen some young dogs off of Mtn.Ash Dino that I liked real well. Real Good hunt,sense,plenty of foot for a cottontail with gears.When it comes to breeding an old breeder once told me that "If you wouldn't want a whole Kennel full of ones just like the two you are breeding.Don't breed them " I've had much better luck the times I've followed that simple rule.

transman63

Post by transman63 »

I have had good luck with IFC cedar beck blazer II ,hard hard hunt, brains, line and foot . go's real good with branko, stricker, shaker,jeg's female's one of the females I bread to him was grand pup to Indian hills princes II, came out very nice!!! I liked them all. bob king is his owner mt pleasant mi.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .