Log Splitters n Firewood

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Rabbit Fever

Re: Log Splitters n Firewood

Post by Rabbit Fever »

any wood you cut make sure its stacked under roof or some kind of cover so it has good air flow for drying. I have my own tree service business for 32 years now and I heat my house with wood. I let my wood dry for a year before I use it. whether its oak, maple, poplar ect. one year is fine. I have a wood furnace that is attached to my forced air plenum. heat the whole house with 5 to 6 cords a winter.

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

650 dollars appx 18 yr ago. Made 1973 still goin.
My neighbor got tired of splittin by hand. My splitter, Wink few cans of BUD and wah la fire wood. He does this every day.
Come Run

andrew_kirby

Post by andrew_kirby »

likeemfast check these sites below. Lots of information on just about every aspect of heating with wood even pellet and coal. I have a free standing wood stove on the main floor that can heat the whole house that we use most of the time. I have a wood/coal furnace in the basement that is hooked directly up the duct work that works well just tends to burn more wood than the free standing. I grew up splitting and stacking wood to fill a taylor outdoor wood burner and while it certainly fit the bill for heating the water and house of 7, it wasn't very practical when I moved out and bought my own house with just me and my wife for all the more water and heat that we need in a house we don't plan to stay in. However if I was going to be living here forever that would definitely be the route I would have gone and I would have bought a central broiler I looked at them 2 yrs ago and they are definitely the top of the line and everyone around here burns with wood and those that have them love them.

Like has already been posted unless you buy a insert specifically made to go into the existing fireplace all you are doing is sending it up the chimney.

In regard to splitters I am using the same splitter for 15 years now, it runs off a old briggs and is a 27ton. However when this one dies I plan on going with the Huskee 27ton or building another. My uncle just purchased one this year and it is very nice and runs well. However I cut the rounds in the woods load the truck drive it home and unload it and usually try and split and stack then and usually by hand however if in the spring I cut a lot over the winter and piled it in the drive thats when the splitter gets fired up and run all day till it quits or I quit.

Whatever you do if your burning inside make sure you let season properly. I have roughly 3 years c/s/s in the yard and rotate accordingly it takes some work to get there but once your there its no different than cutting year by year and its definetely worth it.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/

golden acres

Post by golden acres »

Like others have said invest into a nice efficient wood burner. I have a vermont castings stove heat about 2700 square foot with about 4.5 cords ayear. If i were cutting 30 cords a year I would sell the wood and come out ahead using gas.
Golden Acre Supplies 616-813-0814 (Cell)
http://www.goldenacresupplies.com

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

We use a Taylor. It's pretty decent size. I have a picture will post tonight.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

Tsa la gi
good to see another tree guy here. my co. is redwood. yours?

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

Hope this is what your asking, red/w oak, ash, hickory.
Come Run

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Good info guys and thanks again, been reading up on splitters and i see some that advertise log strippers to get the log off the wedge. Is this a must on a splitter? Do they all come with it and only some advertise it as a selling feature?
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Dad and I have more wood cut in our forty acres, this is mainly the dry wood, we have more that is around the other side on pallets....
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

Tsa la gi
the name of your tree service.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Still got the same ole Timer Wood stove we bought 33 yr ago. Heated with only wood 13 yr till we got a gas furnace. boy what a wonderful thing to take a load off your mind, set the thermostat and have a warm house when you come home.
Now the wood is the back-up, nice to have when the cold winds of Jan & Feb. suck the heat out of the rooms.
We made a wood splitter to fit on the 3-pt hutch of the tractor, the tractor hydraulics could crack most any knotty oak, I liked to split red oak the best but you gotta be careful, sometimes it "POPS" and will leave a bruise on your leg if it hits ya. Stringy hickory is the worst to come apart and pee oak with all it's knots.
When I was young, our 100ft driveway was lined with pallets and stacked wood 4' high all the way to the road. Sold fire wood for a couple yrs but folks seemed to run out and only call you on the coldest of days. Glad those days are gone.
I had made a couple trailers out of a couple old ford pickups, we cut the frame under the cab and formed unto a tongue and pulled them behind the tractor to get wood out of the woods and then pulled them behind the truck to deliver. I remember that was my first wielding job and they never did break apart so I musta did ok... :lol:

Rabbit Fever

Post by Rabbit Fever »

Sorry tsa la gi, haven't been on in a while. The name of my company is Woodland Tree Service.

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

Rabbit Fever,
The guy in the pic is my neighbor Wink Parham. Parham tree services. He told me if I would let him keep my splitter up at his place, he would keep me in firewood. Didn`t figure I could go wrong.
Come Run

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

When I get low on wood.I tell my wife.We are about out. No No.I was raised on wood now I ve got this new heat pump.I like it better.