SAVED PUPS

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beaglebill

SAVED PUPS

Post by beaglebill »

I READ A POST THAT SOMEONE HAD LOST A LITTER OF PUPS THAT THE MOTHER DIDNT TAKE CARE OF THEM..SO I THOUGHT I WOULD THROW THIS OUT...WE HAVE ALWAYS HAD BEAGLES BUT ALSO RAISED BORDER COLLIES AND OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOGS. ONE OF THE SHEEPDOGS DELIVERED ABOUT 10 PUPS LATE ONE NIGHT. AFTER MAKING SURE SHE WAS FINISHED WE WENT TO BED. I AWOKE TO A SCREAM FROM MY WIFE AS SHE HAD GOTTEN UP TO FIND ALL THE PUPS LAYING ALL OVER THE DOG HOUSE WHAT LOOKED TO ME LIKE ALL DEAD. MY WIFE HAD READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT NOT GIVING UP ON THEM WHEN FOUND IN THIS CONDITION. WHAT WE DID WAS HOLD THEM UNDER THE FAUCET WITH FAIRLY HOT WATER RUNNING ON THEM AN MASSAGING THEM ALL OVER...PLUS BLOWING IN THERE FACE...I THOUGHT THIS WAS A WASTE BUT AS SOON AS I SEEN ONE START MOVING I RUBBED LIKE HE**. NOT ONLY WAS I SAVING A LIFE BUT THESE LITTLE SQUIRTS SOLD FOR ABOUT 300 AT THE TIME. THE MOTHER WOULD NOT LAY WHILE NURSING IF WE DID NOT SET THERE WITH HER...WE DID THIS UP TO THE TIME WE COULD GET THEM ON SOME MIX MADE BY BLENDING PUPPY CHOW WITH POWDER MILK....WE SAVED ALL BUT ONE...BELIEVE ME I WOULD HAVE BURIED THEM ALL..WE NEVER BRED THE DOG AGAIN AS A MATTER OF FACT WE HAD HER FIXED...I GUESS WE SHOULD HAVE STAYED UP ALL NIGHT WITH HER BUT IT APPEARED SHE WAS DOING WELL ..SHE MUST HAVE PACED THE FLOOR ALL NIGHT..

Vickie

Post by Vickie »

We used to save little pigs and lambs like that. You would swear they were dead, but we wrapped them in a towel and stuck them in the oven (door open) and they came back to life. Lots of work, but well worth it.

travel

Post by travel »

Same here Vickie. One of the few times my Mother was directly involved with the Beagles. But them pups were cold! You have jogged my memory. My sisters would get them next, bottle feed for weeks, never complained.

I recently had a litter of pups, six. Mother died of c-section (lost three), tried to raise them on a bottle, found a kennel of miniature type dogs and a mother that would nurse any dog. So there were two miniature long haired dachshunds, two miniature dobes, and three beagles nursing on a miniature poodle!! What a sight! Two made it from the poodle and I ran over one! One beagle.....and a bunch of money. We must all be nuts!
"The best view of big government is in the rear view mirror as you are driving away from it" -- Ronald Reagan

jrob

saved puppy

Post by jrob »

Thanks for the post on saving puppies. I had a pup, about 2 weeks old , that got out of the kennel and was hung in the fence. I thought he was dead but when I tried to get him out I saw that he was still barely breathing and was ice cold. I had read your post a week or so earlier and decided to try the hot water and massage. When I finished I lay him in front of a space heater in my shop. I thought he was dead. I left him there while we hunted for about 4 hours. I fully expected to find him dead when I returned. I was surprised to find him moving all around the room when I returned. I returned him to his mother and other sisters and brothers. Wouldn't you know, that pup was out again a few days later. He is about 4 weeks old now and doing find. I think he may be the one I keep. Thanks you saved this pup for me. :D :D

beaglebill

Post by beaglebill »

THANKS JROB....YOU MADE MY DAY...SOUNDS LIKE THE PUP HAS GOT SOME GRIT...I JUST SOLD 3 OUT OF A LITTER OF 5...I STARTED OUT I PICKED 2 FEMALES I WAS GOING TO KEEP BUT ENDED UP SELLING THEM AND KEEPING A FEMALE I WAS ORIGINALLY GOING TO SELL..LOL..HARD TO TELL WHEN THAT YOUNG..