Warning

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

KeithC

Warning

Post by KeithC »

Fellow Rabbit Hunters,

This evening while running my dogs at the Robert C. Byrd Locks and Dams in Apple Grove, West Virginia my best female was caught and killed in an illegal snare. I am typing this to make everyone aware of the situation, and so no one else has to bury a good dog. I am not against legal trapping, but this trap was not tagged with the trappers name and as far as I am concerned was set on government property that is closed to hunting and trapping. Why would someone set a snare where hundreds of people go to run their beagles?

Best Regards,

Keith Clagg

ironjawdawgs

Re: Warning

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Sorry about your loss Keith!

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Sorry to hear. I thought snares were "safer" than Conibears because the dog would recognize the restraint like a leash. Guess I was wrong. In Michigan snares have to have stops, but I don't know if they would stop before choking a dog. I think it depends too on whether the snare is set in a tangling situation. The guy was a slob, but the warning is well heeded.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

barnold1

Post by barnold1 »

They do it cause they only care about their own interests. And where the states allow it, like kansas, they dont seem to mind the lack of accountability when they can unintentionally kill your dog on shared public land while they're sitting on their ass eatin cheetos and watching the NFL games.
LP GRRCH HICKTOWN HANKY PANKY
FCGD LP GRRCH LP BCH HICKTOWN WAILIN JOSIE
LP RCH OVER DA TOP MACI

RIP LP RCH PP RCH HICKTOWN TICKLE ME WILLIE

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

I had a pup caught in an illegal snare a couple of years ago, in Ohio, snares are legal with a stop, this one had none. Lucky for me I was close enough and saw him get caught and released him. I went around and found all his other snares and pulled them and took them to the land owners door and informed him of the rules. He was grateful and kicked out that trapper. Sorry for your loss. Some dogs can't be replaced.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

sem

Post by sem »

I was planning on running there in the morning. Did you report it to anyone?

Dan R

Post by Dan R »

Had the same issue on public land. The dog was wearing a dc40. I believe that was the only reason she survived. The collar was protecting her from the snare tightening up any more. I heard her yelp and had seen no movement on the Garmin. I guess the garmin payed for its self that day. Sorry for your loss.

KeithC

Post by KeithC »

Thanks for the replies. There were no DNR officers on duty when this happened. A State Trooper came and spoke with me.

Welshman

Post by Welshman »

In Ohio, if I read the law correctly and I believe I did, it is illegal to set snares on public ground. Had a similar experience with a young dog getting caught last month. I was lucky to be there. Our property borders some government land and the fellow was illegally crossing our property to set traps on government land. His second illegal act. Needless to say he is now missing a few snares.

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

It does not have to be public land. A fellow hunter had a dog caught in a trap on private land less than 1 mile from my house. This is on a spot where Johnny and I train our dogs. EASTERN NC. ROWCO

west virginia doug

Post by west virginia doug »

thanks for warning I also run dogs at byrd its sad between deer hunters and now trappers beaglers do not have a chance!

WKT

Post by WKT »

btt