dog just quits

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mainstreet

dog just quits

Post by mainstreet »

I have a 3yr old female that when running she will just stop and come back to spot where rabbit was jumped. Was going to try and run her with another dog to see if she would stay on track. Think this might work or any other ideas? Thanks

Gabby's Beagles

Re: dog just quits

Post by Gabby's Beagles »

Run her with another dog for awhile. If she is 3 and been running awhile she may keep doing it. But running her with another dog should help

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I think you got the rite idea, tho her age an habit may stay with her.
My buddy had a young female yrs ago that started doing that, she just didn't figure out the track went on and would backtrack to the jump. A good steady hound may help her figure out to stay and work out the check.
Best of luck.

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

Had this problem before------culled mine

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Time to be the trainer and train your hound, she didn't just start doing this I would imagine so the best thing for you to do would be follow as closely as possible behind her as she is running and stand on the line she came in on and encourage her to keep looking in the check area where she lost it, when she starts trying to go back get her off of it and say NO and then get her back to the check area to search, after awhile she will figure out what to do, if not then its time to CULL. Hounds need to be trained just like we start them, they are trained to start, sometimes we are responsible to finish training them on what to do and it sounds like she needs the extra training!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Newt

Post by Newt »

mainstreet wrote:I have a 3yr old female that when running she will just stop and come back to spot where rabbit was jumped. Was going to try and run her with another dog to see if she would stay on track. Think this might work or any other ideas? Thanks
How many days in the field has she spent running rabbits. If she has little experience I would not be concerned and follow Johns advice. The second beagle that I owned was eleven months old and slightly started. When ran solo, at a hard check, he would turn around and run the rabbit back to me. I started standing on the line and when he came back I would throw a stick at him. I don't know if that is the method of choice but it worked. He quit coming back and became a very good hunting dog.

If she has a lot of experience and was doing that, I would follow 19rabbit52's advice. She probably won't quit.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

mainstreet, You don't say if she was actually running the track back to the jump or simply going back to the jump point at whatever route, ( cutting across country to get there,) This makes a difference, Again you weren't clear if she was at a loss ( check) or she after traveling a distance from the jump and still on track decided to leave the trail and return. Even though you did seem to indicate that she was still on track and returned. I have seen all of those scenarios and they call for different approaches. Give us a little more.

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

I hate to say this but 3 years old. You guys are telling him to fool with it like it is a pup. CULL!

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

19rabbit52, most likely you are right. I think most know that. But against the odds sometimes you can " fix" 'em if the proper therapy is applied. Perhaps the hound means a lot to him or his kid and if someone is asking perhaps they wouldn't mind the time expenditure, assuming that they want to try, understanding what to try is probably their best bet. He apparently cares enough to ask. If I had to put any money on it though, I wouldn't bet against you on this one, but let's give him something to try if he thinks it is worth it, we may end up being wrong.

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

ALL THOSE IDEAS ARE GREAT BUT I WOULD SAY YOU NEED TO NOW THE HISTORY OF THE DOG AND THE PEDIGREE ALONG WITH WHAT KIND OF TRAINER SHE HAD AND HOW MEANY OWNERS. ALL THAT WILL HAVE A BEARING ON IT. SECOND HOW MUCH WORK DO YOU WANT TO PUT INTO HER WHILE MOST BAD HABITS CAN BE BROKE YOU HAVE TO THINK OF YOUR TIME AND HOW GOOD IS SHE GOING TO BE AFTER MONTHS OF WORK COULD PUT INTO ANOTHER HOUND THAT IS YOUNGER AND COULD DO RIGHT AT A YEAR OLD.
JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT EVERYBODY IS DIFFEENT SOME PEOPLE LIKE A YOUNG HOUND TO WORK WITH AND OTHERS WANT AN IMPOSSIBLE HOUNDS THAT NEEDS A TONE OF WORK.
GOOD LUCK

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

dhoundman wrote:ALL THOSE IDEAS ARE GREAT BUT I WOULD SAY YOU NEED TO NOW THE HISTORY OF THE DOG AND THE PEDIGREE ALONG WITH WHAT KIND OF TRAINER SHE HAD AND HOW MEANY OWNERS. ALL THAT WILL HAVE A BEARING ON IT. SECOND HOW MUCH WORK DO YOU WANT TO PUT INTO HER WHILE MOST BAD HABITS CAN BE BROKE YOU HAVE TO THINK OF YOUR TIME AND HOW GOOD IS SHE GOING TO BE AFTER MONTHS OF WORK COULD PUT INTO ANOTHER HOUND THAT IS YOUNGER AND COULD DO RIGHT AT A YEAR OLD.
JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT EVERYBODY IS DIFFEENT SOME PEOPLE LIKE A YOUNG HOUND TO WORK WITH AND OTHERS WANT AN IMPOSSIBLE HOUNDS THAT NEEDS A TONE OF WORK.
GOOD LUCK

What does the pedigree have to do with?
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

mainstreet

Post by mainstreet »

I got this dog in the spring. My sons are hitting age to start carrying a gun, thought thus would be fun for them. Not sure about her past. She will come back shortest way possible. I have taken her out a dozen times or so. She just doesn't seem to get it to click. I don't have much faith in her becoming what I'm wanting. Just thought I would give her a little more time. Thanks for the help and I will try these ideas. Also, I have a dumb question. When you talk about check area, what are you referring to?

Newt

Post by Newt »

Area where last scent was detected. Where she lost the rabbit line.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Newt wrote:Area where last scent was detected. Where she lost the rabbit line.
Where she seems to lose the rabbit and stop barking "hopefully not barking all over" where she should stick at when trying to regain scent to continue running the rabbit.
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Well, she is not backtracking, that is one good thing. I don't know what caused your hound to do what it is doing . I have seen this before. But I know how you can cause them to do it. I knew a guy ( actually I knew a guy who knew him, he took me over to his place) who enclosed part of an old field ( it was actually a local softball field at one time) there was no brush in it at the time , so he made a nice brush pile in the middle of it, He also felt that the rabbits needed a permanent escape route so he laid a piece of pipe down and covered it with brush for a hole. The distance between the brush pile and the hole was about 75 yards The pups would jump the rabbits from the pile run them straight to the hole some sight chasing all the way and some a combination of sight and tonguing on the line. But all of them would turn and run right straight back to the brush pile at the loss looking for another rabbit, he had several rabbits in there most would go to the pile and when jumped go to the hole. After the pups ran them all to hole but one he would cover up the hole, as soon as the last one was jumped it couldn't get in the hole after running to it, so it hunkered down somewhere or returned to the pile. the pups would run right back to the pile and search for another. most wouldn't look anywhere else. After he took the pups out of the pen he dumped the rabbits out of the pipe and prior to putting the pups back in he ran all of the rabbits under the brush pile. I knew what he was doing but I asked him what he "thought" he was doing, he said he was teaching his pups to hunt brush piles as that is where the rabbits are. Of course that was not what he was doing but it was what he thought he was doing. At any rate I think after losing the trail your hound wants another rabbit. However, your hound got that way it believes that the best and quickest place to get another one is the same place she got the last one. Actually not too illogical to a hound that never learned otherwise, is it? She has to be shown that rabbits can be found in more than one location . In my opinion the best way to do this is to take her out to a place with a good population of rabbits, with another hound that is a good strong hunter and track dog. You need a good hunter to jump one quickly after the first one is gone, and a good track dog to make sure that the rabbit is trailed a good distance away from the original jump site, this will also discourage her from returning, good luck, but as some have said, she is 3 years old , and 3 year olds generally have a lot of confidence in themselves, in certain matters whether it is right or wrong !