Living next to the train tracks

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bigcfromrbc

Living next to the train tracks

Post by bigcfromrbc »

My beagles are at my dad's. I currently live next to a set of train tracks. By live next I mean 20 yards or less away. I can't put them in the back yard, cause it goes down hill next to the river which floods. I'd hate to build a nice kennel, here comes a flood, and there goes my wood.

I can put them higher up, but that's closer to the train. Does it effect their ears and stuff a lot. Whats your suggestion? I don't like leaving my dogs at my Dad's. Makes me nervous.

bigcfromrbc

Re: Living next to the train tracks

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Anyone? I really want the dogs at my place, but not at the expense of it causing damage to them some how. I figured someone would know?

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Big, It would be hard to speak to that if one didn't have any experience with it. But I will take a guess if you want. I think the train would annoy them as much as it does you. But I don't think it will damage their hearing. I would not try to raise pups in that environment! If it were me and I had a choice I would leave them somewhere else. I know how inconvenient this is, but I am sure the dogs would prefer it.

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

It's not that it's inconvenient. Me and my Father are two completely different people. I love him, but there's nothing about his lifestyle I agree with. Over the years guns have went "missing" and I'm scared that he'll get a wild hair and sell the dogs on me for his next fix. He may not, but I've caught him looking through my wallet for money in the past without asking for any while I slept. Nothing surprises anymore.

blackrockbeagles

Post by blackrockbeagles »

Big I live next to a set of train tracks, they are about the same distance away that you are hasn't bothered mine at all. They would howl when i first put them there but they don't pay attention to them at all now. If your worried about the noise build your kennel's facing away from the tracks(put the back of the dog house toward the tracks) this will give it a little sound dampening. Or if it still worries you insulate your boxes. i have used this material form Lowes before its called silver board insulation comes i 4x8 sheets you can cut to size and put it between your walls meaning you have a piece of plywood then insulation then another piece of plywood. This will not only make your boxes a lot quieter for your dogs but a lot warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer as well.Hope this helps Buck
Last edited by blackrockbeagles on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Dogs like people can adapt to about anything. When I was in military service, me and a couple buddies rented a house located very close to a rail road. To make it worse it was located outside of a curve in the track. The first night we were awakened by what sounded like a train coming straight toward the house. After a few weeks it never awakened us.
The dogs will adapt to the noise.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Really sorry to hear about that. Bring the dogs home, I believe they will be fine and if you don't you are going to be worried all the time, hard way to go through life. If you could somehow use your house to block some of the disturbance out as well as turning the dog houses to do the same it would probably help. Like I said I wouldn't raise pups under those circumstances though!

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

I live right next to not just the tracks, but to an actual crossing. My kennels sit about 10 yards from the tracks very close to where the whistle blows when approaching the crossing from the North. I can tell you this much. My dogs are not gun shy! 2 of the dogs will sit out and watch the train. The other one I think is a little frightened of the train itself, but even she goes in the box and then sticks her head out to watch.

Out of the few years (7) I have been raising beagles, and the 4 dogs I have raised there have been no negatives to how the dog hunts or reacts to noise. They don't bark at the trains or in thunderstorms like I have seen some dogs do.

The only bad part of living next to the tracks is all the trash that travel them. Cats, groundhogs, coon, people. They get the dogs barking at night, and that is not a good thing.

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

Coyotes live in holes on the side of the tracks. When the train goes though our area, you can hear them howl as the engine blows his horns. Each pack does the same thing when it comes to them. They could move back in the big woods up on the mountains if they wanted but don't so it doesn't bother them.

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

See my uncle has a dog, and in four years you can tell she can't hear as good. I believe I'll look on Lowes for that stuff, and hand build some boxes for them. Thanks guys for the advice!

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

You migt also want to plant some bushes or shrubs to help block out some of the sound, like a natural sound barrier.

Newt

Post by Newt »

bigcfromrbc wrote:See my uncle has a dog, and in four years you can tell she can't hear as good. I believe I'll look on Lowes for that stuff, and hand build some boxes for them. Thanks guys for the advice!
How do you know the train caused the hearing loss? It could have been the result of ear mites and infection.

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Newt wrote:
bigcfromrbc wrote:See my uncle has a dog, and in four years you can tell she can't hear as good. I believe I'll look on Lowes for that stuff, and hand build some boxes for them. Thanks guys for the advice!
How do you know the train caused the hearing loss? It could have been the result of ear mites and infection.
That is true. If no one else had trouble I might be safe.