safeguard horse wormer is it safe for pups.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mandi Schafer

safeguard horse wormer is it safe for pups.

Post by Mandi Schafer »

I need to know at what age is it safe for me to give my pups safeguard horse wormer, ive gave it to my older dogs with great results and I give them a pea sized amount but not sure how much to give a pup? I was told before that 12 weeks was ok to start worming them. but need more info please.

sammiller03

Re: safeguard horse wormer is it safe for pups.

Post by sammiller03 »

I use safe guard goat wormer at 1cc for every 5lbs. dont know about the horse wormer i have always used the goat cause its easier to get a syringe in the bottle.

sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

Mandi Schafer

Post by Mandi Schafer »

thanks sam you are the 2nd person to tell me that so I will probably try that instead, don't want to take a chance and make a pup sick or kill it! I know I give my adults only a pea sized amount once a month and it cleans them right up. So I could only imagine how that would affect a little puppy.

JJWI

Post by JJWI »

I use the Safeguard cattle wormer. 1ml per 5 lbs. I start worming them at 2 weeks old and once a week after that until they are 6 weeks old. After 6 weeks I work them into the worming schedule of my other dogs.

Collins Country

Post by Collins Country »

All I use on my puppies is Safeguard Horse Wormer, works great and you can't OD them.
Robert Collins
Eubank, KY
606-383-2767

http://collinscountryky.tripod.com/

rackhntr

Post by rackhntr »

Pea size for puppys. Big dogs about 4 pea sizes! JMO
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Rebel
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Dixie
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

rackhntr wrote:Pea size for puppys. Big dogs about 4 pea sizes! JMO

What he said 3 days in a row to be effective ;).

tinymwoods

Post by tinymwoods »

Just my experience with it. I had some pups I had wormed at 2,4, and 6 weeks of age with Nemex2. At 8 and 10 weeks I wormed them 4 days in a row with Safeguard, doubled the dosage as I always have. At week 11 I noticed they were looking a little rough. Took one to the vet and she had tape worms. I told the vet what I had used and she said it seems like a lot of animals are getting used to it and it doesn't seem as effective. She had just lost 2 goats to worms that had been treated religiously with Safeguard. I don't use Safeguard any more. I use drontal or generic for it. Not worth the chance for me to almost loose another litter of pups.
Mike Woods, Co-owner of Mtn Way Kennel
Visit me at http://www.mtnwaykennel.com
Come run with me in Saltville, Va!
Call anytime! 276-492-0852

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

tinymwoods wrote:Just my experience with it. I had some pups I had wormed at 2,4, and 6 weeks of age with Nemex2. At 8 and 10 weeks I wormed them 4 days in a row with Safeguard, doubled the dosage as I always have. At week 11 I noticed they were looking a little rough. Took one to the vet and she had tape worms. I told the vet what I had used and she said it seems like a lot of animals are getting used to it and it doesn't seem as effective. She had just lost 2 goats to worms that had been treated religiously with Safeguard. I don't use Safeguard any more. I use drontal or generic for it. Not worth the chance for me to almost loose another litter of pups.
Safeguard will kill dog tapes that usually come from flea's, but not common tapes that come from things like rabbit guts etc...
Usually takes something with Praziquantel for common tapes.

craig miller

Post by craig miller »

I use equimax and ppo pills for pups and safeguard for horses and equimax for adult dogs just alternate them but use more equimax then anything
lpgrch Wilburns little rocket(7th little world)
lprch pkc champ Ona lika spyder monkey(pa state champ 5th nationals)
lprch Rices Kristy Kris ('14 KY state champ)
lprch lpbch Haywoods dam strait