Hybrid coyotes

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

DINGUS MAN

Hybrid coyotes

Post by DINGUS MAN »

A friend of mine told me that the West Virginia DNR has released several hundred hybrid coyotes. Hybrid coyote is half wolf and half coyote. 2 of them attacked some hunters in the pipestem area of wv. Thank God they were hunting and had guns. Just image if they were just hiking/walking and no gun. Have u heard this? What u think about this? Why would the DNR do this?

mdbeagler

Re: Hybrid coyotes

Post by mdbeagler »

DINGUS MAN wrote:A friend of mine told me that the West Virginia DNR has released several hundred hybrid coyotes. Hybrid coyote is half wolf and half coyote. 2 of them attacked some hunters in the pipestem area of wv. Thank God they were hunting and had guns. Just image if they were just hiking/walking and no gun. Have u heard this? What u think about this? Why would the DNR do this?

I hear story's like this all the time and not once have I found them to be true, just hear say!

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

I know people are talking more and more about seeing and hearing coyotes. I keep a gun with me anymore. Not just for myself, but I'd be highly upset if something happens to one of my beagles. I hope the bells ringing do keep those suckers away from the dogs.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Lots of coyotes hear, they are always an issue.

I would have a very hard time believing that release....JMO.

jerwane

Post by jerwane »

This is just my opinion and what I have heard. Usually hybred anything can't reproduce. If the DNR did release hybreds, it might be to try and keep the yote population in check. They breed and no litters. I know for a fact that coydogs (cross between coyote and domestic dog) can't reproduce. Just my two cents.

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

check out wikipedia it can clear some thind up.. here are a few statements
1) Members of the genus Canis can, however, all interbreed to produce fertile offspring,[3] with two exceptions: the side-striped jackal and black-backed jackalAlthough these two theoretically could interbreed with each other to produce fertile offspring, it appears they cannot hybridize successfully with the rest of the genus Canis
2)Many animals commonly referred to as "eastern coyotes" or "northeastern coyotes" have wolf and dog genes, a larger size and a more wolf-like skull shape than other coyotes.[citation needed] This has become a problem for taxonomists, as it is unclear what new taxon will be used to refer to this new population of animals

i have heard many storys of coyotes/wolves being released by dnr and insurance agencies but have never seen any proof of it.

sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

wvdaniel

Post by wvdaniel »

On the dogs wolfs or what ever you want to call it. That's was killed in Pipestem wv. The one that was the biggest is in a local taxidermist shop getting mounted that's all the proof I need.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

How big was it?

I have seen coyotes in heavy coat appear to be 60 pounds but probably be a legitimate 45 or so.

baj

Post by baj »

Never use wikipidea as a fact source. Wickipidea is not a reliable source as much of it's information is not factual but idealistic and opinoin based. But it seems that the name sounds professionally convincing. Many a school teacher have taught their students to never use this as a source when presenting a factual report.

Crow

Post by Crow »

baj wrote:Never use wikipidea as a fact source. Wickipidea is not a reliable source as much of it's information is not factual but idealistic and opinoin based. But it seems that the name sounds professionally convincing. Many a school teacher have taught their students to never use this as a source when presenting a factual report.
Not to mention anyone can edit anything on there. Wiki is fun to browse but a terrible source.

wvdaniel

Post by wvdaniel »

Friend of mine hunts them. They killed 3 in nov. On the same day one we 30lbs one was 38lbs and a big male 61lbs. He said they have killed several males over the past few yrs over 55lbs. A dnr officer that use to be in McDowell co wv had one in his freezer that was almost 75lbs

rackhntr

Post by rackhntr »

A friend of mine killed the TN record here a couple of years ago. 102 pounds! It would have weighed more but he hauled it around in back of his truck a couple days showing it off.
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Rebel
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Dixie
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo