heat lamps?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

heat lamps?

Post by Joeyman »

what kinda heat lamps are you guys using. or do you guys just use a regular light bulb? home depot has actual heat lamps. Not sure what to buy.

i want to set my kennels up this weekend cause we're getting this deep freeze and they put out a notice that they will confiscated dogs and owners sited and they are sending teams of people out to look for dogs outside. they dont mention dogs in kennels though. I have the boxes filled with fresh straw and the hounds are out of the wind and 3 dogs per box. but i want to put heat lamps in there anyway. i already have heated water bowls for them.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

jim matuszewski

Re: heat lamps?

Post by jim matuszewski »

just need a 60 watt light bulb,does need some form of sheild around it from dogs and straw they might push up against bulb for fire hazard . that being said the way you are doing things now is more than good enough for your region of the country in my opinion

billpapas

Post by billpapas »

Small dog house with 2 inches of insulation all the way around, lots of dry straw is all I use with no problems.

Andy C

Post by Andy C »

Your dogs cant be outside? How cold does it have to be for that?

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

Never gave a beagle a heated house in the last 45 years and never will. Just need a good dry dog house with lots of straw. This giving hunting dogs heat is what I call the Fifi factor. Also well fed and watered are what will keep them warm.

billpapas

Post by billpapas »

:check:

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

tell the mayor that.......lol

he's the one that put this into effect as of today because of the frigid temps that are coming. im just doing it because I don't want to deal with any B.S.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

Sorry world we live in with foolish politicians telling us what to do.

bluecollar beagler

Post by bluecollar beagler »

tell them they can come on ur property with a search warrant.! I keep my dogs in the barn two per kennel w plenty of bedding in houses. I still use the heat lamps above them when it gets in the teens or below. i just use the $10 clip on flood lights from wally world w a 60-100 watt bulb in it. Use the same setup in my welping box too.

billpapas

Post by billpapas »

Andy C wrote:Your dogs cant be outside? How cold does it have to be for that?
It's going to be -20 tonight and I have no concerns at all.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Joeyman wrote:tell the mayor that.......lol

he's the one that put this into effect as of today because of the frigid temps that are coming. im just doing it because I don't want to deal with any B.S.
I wonder if that applies to farm animals as well such as cows, horses, sheep, goats, pigs! How about deer, squirrel, rabbits, and the birds, turkey, quail or even the lousy coyotes! Who in their right mind would subject things to something they could not withstand! I suppose that God should be held liable for such a condition and mother nature thrown in jail for not providing her creatures heat lamps in the cold of winter and air conditioners in the heat of summer.

Andy C

Post by Andy C »

Ya I just got mine in a wood house full of straw. Sunday night thru tuesday morning will be below 0 here with windchill to -44. Im gona pair mine up in the dogbox at night bit otherwise they'll be outside

Salzer mtn

Post by Salzer mtn »

I heard it was going to be a 3 dog night in TN. as well.

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

This is what I've been using the last 8 yrs or so ....I use a 60 watt bulb when it's above 20 degrees and then when it drops below 20 I switch to a 75 watt bulb....I've got them plugged into a thermostat controlled outlet set at 50 degrees....when it gets under 50 the lamps come on and don't shut off until it's warmer than 50. At first I didn't have a thermometer controlled outlet but you'll find in the spring and fall the nights/mornings are in the 30's so you leave your lights on and then mid day it's in the 70s again and it's too hot....thermostat is the only way to go in my opinion. :nod:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1-Gan ... 202077382#

I haven't needed any bedding with it, this latest cold snap has been brutal though....20 below zero and windy....I decided to get a couple hound furnaces to put in my boxes....they aren't cheap at $100 a piece but they should last quite awhile and any reviews I've seen on them have been great.

didion419

Post by didion419 »

What do you guys think of this My dog box are 4 foot off the ground I was going to put trouble light under dog box with 60 watt bulb then mount a 2 foot by 2 foot box around the trouble light maybe even put tin foil inside of box that goes around light ,That way no wires for dogs to get at and no light in dog box Heat should rise to dog box I think, Do you guys think this will work One more thing do you guys way up north have doors on your boxes