young dogs haveing trouble the first time on powdery snow

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dhoundman

young dogs haveing trouble the first time on powdery snow

Post by dhoundman »

This is a qeustion for central OH beaglers where we don't get a lot of snow some years we may noot get any. i have yet to see a young dog start out fast on powder snow. any body else have that.
CAUSE PEOPLE KEEP ASKING ME IF MY YEAR OLD DOG CAN RUN ON SNOW ? WELL FIRST OFF THIS IS HIS FIRST WINTER TO RUN ON THE FROZZEN GROUND AND SECOUND HE HAS NEVER EVEN BEEN ON SNOW YET SO WHY WOULD YOU ASK THAT :argue: THINK ABOUT IT FOR MINUTE IF THE DOG IS A YEAR OLD IN SEPT HOW CAN HE NOW EVERY THING ABOUT HOW TO RUN DUM :moon: YOU JUST CAN'T OPEN PACKAGE OF INSTANT BEAGLE MIX ADD WATER STIRE AND DUMP OUT :bash: THIER IS NO SUCH THING AS A DOG THAT CAN DO IT ALL AS SOON AS THEY HIT THE GROUND. :hammer:

OR HAS SOME BODY GOT THE INSTANT MIX FOR A THREE YEAR OLD BEAGLE IN A BAG CAUSE MAN I WOULD PAY BIG MONEY FOR THAT. JUST ADD WATER MIX AND POUR OUT RABBIT DOG. :lol:

rabbit chaser

Re: young dogs haveing trouble the first time on powdery sno

Post by rabbit chaser »

heck I had a older hound that couldn't smell his a$$ from a hole in the ground on snow unless it was above freezing and the snow was wet and melting. It drove me nuts. Come spring when I would have him down with other dogs and the snow was melted off on the hill tops he would open good on the dry ground until they hit snow again and then just stayed with the pack on the snow and ran silent. Here in Iowa we have snow 4-5 months out of the year and if they can't run on it i'm not feeding them. I gave the POS away as a pet. Personally I would take an august drought to run in over a 0 degree powdery snow. I have a couple young dogs now that can smell them in snow but not run them great as its their first winter on snow. After seeing the before mentioned dog not even have a clue the rabbit was ever there I feel my young hounds will only get better with time. Its a whole new "landscape" for a young hound and they have to learn what its all about and adjust to it. just my two cents which wont get you much!! :D
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

We got 10-12 inches of snow yesterday/last night with a lot of drifting. My dogs are 15", one even taller. They'll have trouble just getting through. I'll give them a couple of days rest; it's supposed to warm up some in a couple of days.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

island hare chas'r

Post by island hare chas'r »

JUST BACK FROM THE UP THIS WEEKEND TEMPS FROM -25 DEGREES TO + 28 DEGREES IN ONE DAY, SNOW JUST LIKE SUGAR. HAD A 9 YR OLD KNICK DOG- 2YEAR OLD COBY HILL DOG-AND ONE YEAR OLD PUP. WE WERE GLAD WE HAD THE OLD DOG TO GET US GOING AND TAKING US THROUGH THE TOUGH STUFF BUT THE YOUNG PUP DID TAKE ITS OWN HARE FOR ABOUT 20 MINUTES IN 18 INCHES OF SNOW, I WAS PRETTY PROUD OF HIM, THE OLDER DOGS THEN PACKED UP WITH HIM, LINED UP AND DID A GOOD JOB. THE YOUNG ONE IS A REGGIE-NEW YORK KNICK CROSS, THE REGGIE SNOW NOSE HASNT PROVEN ITSELF AROUND NORTHERN MICHIGAN YET :-o , I HOPE MY YOUNG ONE KEEPS COMING ON, LOOKING FORWARD TO MANY YEARS OF ENJOYMENT.