Dogs ran one stiff

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

Dogs ran one stiff

Post by Joeyman »

I've only read about it on here never really happened for me yet till this past saturday. Dogs locked on a rabbit like white on rice. They were pushing him as fast as they could. this rabbit ran pretty big way out there. Dogs all shut up and here comes one of my hounds bringing me the rabbit. I get the rabbit and its stiff as a board. front legs pointed straight down stiff and rear legs pointed straight back stiff. I even gutted the rabbit to make sure the guts were hot and they didnt pick up a random dead rabbit..lol

Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

BCBeagles

Re: Dogs ran one stiff

Post by BCBeagles »

He was lacking in potassium from poor nutrients.....your dogs couldn't really do that could they Joey?? LOL!!

Good pic and just kidding!

begles

Post by begles »

nice batch of rabbits. is that a brouning 12 auto.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

lmao...I think its that supplement i have my dogs on..they've been running twice as fast now.. :biggrin:

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Joey I was out in your neck of the woods last Saturday and oh my did I see a lot of rabbit tracks, I could have shot my limit within 10 mins!!! There was probably 20 different rabbit tracks to 1 coyote track. Hope you have a good rest of the year, I haven't seen many tailgate pics from you this year.
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

johns03272008 wrote:Joey I was out in your neck of the woods last Saturday and oh my did I see a lot of rabbit tracks, I could have shot my limit within 10 mins!!! There was probably 20 different rabbit tracks to 1 coyote track. Hope you have a good rest of the year, I haven't seen many tailgate pics from you this year.
What part of Mo did you visit?

are you on facebook? i have tons of pics from this season on there. PM me your name on FB if you'd like. We've gotten alot of rabbits this season.
Last edited by Joeyman on Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

begles wrote:nice batch of rabbits. is that a brouning 12 auto.
yes thats a 1971 Browning A5 Light twelve my favorite rabbit gun.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

I was in Memphis Missouri and I don't have FB just instagram
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

thats way up there a good 4 hours away from me. i been hunting up there once before. lots of open ground kinda like cow pastures everywhere.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

Ya there was a lot of open ground and a lot of rabbits, I was there to get some coyote hounds and ended up wanted to run some beagles with all the rabbits we saw and then tracks on top of that!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

johns03272008 wrote:Ya there was a lot of open ground and a lot of rabbits, I was there to get some coyote hounds and ended up wanted to run some beagles with all the rabbits we saw and then tracks on top of that!!
whos property? road trip? I'll meet you up there for a weekend of gunning?

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

A coyote guys property but I don't think he likes me any more cause I didn't buy his junk coyote dogs!!
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

johns03272008 wrote:A coyote guys property but I don't think he likes me any more cause I didn't buy his junk coyote dogs!!
lol....well there goes a good rabbit hunting spot..haha

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I'd heard about guys running a rabbit stiff but had never seen it and didn't really believe it.About 10 years ago I was running with Mike Grosch at night on his farm.The dogs had been absolutely pounding a cottontail for an hour or better.The rabbit had circled close to us in the dark several times and the dogs were right on him.
I said to Mike "they're about to catch that rabbit" and right in front of us I heard them catch and the rabbit squeel. I turned on my light and grabbed the rabbit away from the pack and he was just as stiff as a board! I could hold him straight out by his hind legs like a pistol.
Had a hare race up north that lasted three hours of petal to the metal running and when I shot that hare he also was rock stiff.
Asked several vets. about it and they thought it had something to do with heightened adrenaline and stress during a very hard run and triggered when caught/shot?? I have shot a lot of rabbits but only seen it happen in several??
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:I'd heard about guys running a rabbit stiff but had never seen it and didn't really believe it.About 10 years ago I was running with Mike Grosch at night on his farm.The dogs had been absolutely pounding a cottontail for an hour or better.The rabbit had circled close to us in the dark several times and the dogs were right on him.
I said to Mike "they're about to catch that rabbit" and right in front of us I heard them catch and the rabbit squeel. I turned on my light and grabbed the rabbit away from the pack and he was just as stiff as a board! I could hold him straight out by his hind legs like a pistol.
Had a hare race up north that lasted three hours of petal to the metal running and when I shot that hare he also was rock stiff.
Asked several vets. about it and they thought it had something to do with heightened adrenaline and stress during a very hard run and triggered when caught/shot?? I have shot a lot of rabbits but only seen it happen in several??
this is the first time i've seen it in person over the past 10yrs of rabbit hunting and thousands of rabbits shot. I couldnt tell ya why that rabbit stiffened up that way. kinda neat to experiance that. i was hollering its a stiff rabbit i cant believe it to my hunting partner for the day that has never been rabbit hunting over beagles before..he prob thought I was nuts..i made him take a picture of me and the stiff rabbit..hahaha