Pride dog food

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BCBeagles

Re: Pride dog food

Post by BCBeagles »

I would feed mine saw dust and turpentine before pride. About the same quality ingredients as the previously mentioned....lol. MY OPINION.

It is a high corn food that some dogs adjust to. My kennels were literally full of crap and I got tired of it.

I used it for sometime and saw a steady decline in my dogs. Money wise, it is economical, but I want results, AGAIN, my opinions.

Good luck!

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

When feeding the orange bag anyone ever notice kinda green colored turds?Don't know if it's good or bad but it's sure different.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Me personally, if any abnormalities were regularly in my dogs stool, i would evaluate my feed. That is just me.

Green is not normal, but when they eat a processed corn maybe it is, but when they eat a more quality food source it is not. Just my guess though.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I get such a kick out of folks talking about a dog food being A Premium or Select one and then another being junk. I highly doubt that most consumers know exactly what they are eating let alone what goes into their pet food. The USDA has many standards of identity that are NOT published in which they meat and poultry industry pull the wolver unknowing consumer's eyes at the supermarket. A couple of the biggest meat items we Americans eat is hamburgers and hot dogs and I doubt any can tell me what is required for these products to be labeled as such let alone what a Premium dog food is. The FDA sets what standards there are for pet foods and I can tell EVERYONE that what goes into them is the byproducts left over from the manufacturing of human food. I have worked in every type of meat and poultry plant there is and KNOW what happens to all the stuff that don't go onto your grocery shelf. It is SOLD to renderers and pet food manufacturers. One prime example is LUNGS from any food species as they are NOT allowed as human food BUT guess what they are in ALL pet foods. Do chickens have lips, well they got beaks and feathers that humans don't eat but guess what, YES our pets do. Hey hoe about ALL those semi truck ,loads of guts each and every day? YEP, into pet food. Check out the first 2 or three ingredients in your GREAT dry dog food and tell me if it says Beef, Pork, Lamb, Chicken, Turkey or Salmon. I'll bet you NOT a one does but could do so in a canned food. I will wager that about ALL of them have one of these species as a meal, byproduct or a byproduct meal. Reason being is that ALL of the previous junk I described above that CANNOT go into the human food chain goes to where I described and the dog food manufacturers fleece unknowing consumers just as the human food industry does by getting extra bucks for fanciful labeling. VICTOR SUPER PREMIUM is one that everyone has been talking about so I looked up the ingredients. First thing folks should understand is that there is absolutely NO restriction on the use of such fanciful terms and if the manufacturer labeled it as complete and balanced then it must meet the AAFCP standard for such and that is all. One labeled as Premium, select or anything else is just a fanciful labeling ploy to grab your money. The ingredients within dog foods are listed in descending order of predominance on the label just as they are in Human food products but here's the catch, this is in their green or wet weight and not what is left after the drying or processing into the dry food. Whole muscle tissue is very high in water and when it is dried the weight will be much, much less in the actual ingredient dog food formula. A good example of how this works is to have about 10 pounds of your deer meat made into jerky and you will probably end up with about 2 1/2 pounds of actual jerky and maybe even less if you dry it into meal. Meal, I guess that most have checked out their TOP OF THE LINE dog food ingredients to find out the first few ingredients contain ABSOLUTELY NO beef, pork, lamb, chicken etc. but in fact all have meal of one two or ALL the species or merely listed as Meat and bone meal because the renderer doesn't take any time to pick up and or separate what those in the industry call "offall" by species. So they get a batch of comingled feathers, intestines, lungs, spleen, bones, fat and diseased carcasses that were rejected for human consumption BUT not for pet food that they render the oils out of and continue to cook into a meat and bone meal. Did I say oil? Well that is also sold to dog food manufacturers and it's right there on many dog food labels as chicken, beef or pork fat. Folks the ole saying that the food industry uses everything but the squeal is absolutely true and a lot of this stuff goes into other animal feeds as well including cattle. I really do NOT understand what a PREMIUM ingredient in pet food may be as I have seen it ALL going to the same rendering plant that animal feed manufacturers sell to whichever one pays the most. ONE thing I almost forgot is that these same ingredients are also imported from foreign countries and thus we saw the BIG recall from Diamond with the Melamine contamination. Hey don't fear, the USDA is wanting to allow chicken from China to be placed on your supermarket shelf too! I guess if it's good enough for the dogs it's good enough for us.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Good post.

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

BCBeagles wrote:I would feed mine saw dust and turpentine before pride. About the same quality ingredients as the previously mentioned....lol. MY OPINION.

It is a high corn food that some dogs adjust to. My kennels were literally full of crap and I got tired of it.

I used it for sometime and saw a steady decline in my dogs. Money wise, it is economical, but I want results, AGAIN, my opinions.

Good luck!
not being a jerk but what do you feed jim. we are in the same area of the world and if there is something better for me to feed my dogs I want to look into it.. I have buddies that run hard all winter long (everyday) and I have a half ton of pride chicken and rice on the truck right now to take to them tomorrow because there dogs hold up really well with it and I can get it cheaper for them than they can get it in Altoona.

thanks

Sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

I been feeding Victor 24/20 for quite sometime now. Dogs seem to be doing good on it. Less crap in kennel too, plenty energy. 40 lb bag usually runs 25-29$. I feed 2 cup a day.

Talking dog food is like discussing who's fart smells worse. They all stink, but go with one you can live with. Lol!

Victor had no corn, no wheat, no soy, no gluten. Multi- meat based ( beef, chicken, pork)
Like I said, I really like the victor. If I can take pic of ingredients on bag I'll post it for y'all.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

very true there are ups and downs of anything.. talking feed is like talking kenneling there is no way that doesn't have downfalls and I have also had people tell me they feed pride and it turns out to be sportsman's pride which is a totally different company.

sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Not an advocate of any particular brand, but exposure to Pride was bad for all my dogs. I was stating my exposure.

I feed Purina Pro Plan Performance, 30/20. I supplement with Nupro all season(makes a decent food better), and I feed raw deer meat(ground) about two days a week all season. When they are fed raw they go a day before fed kibble again. Raw processes at a much slower rate, they may not crap for a full 24 hours.

I have found this to work for me. I feed the recommended amounts on the bag, increase amounts with run time increase and colder weather.

I am in NO way saying Purina is even better than Pride, but Pride made my dogs look sick and pathetic. I then cleaned up massive amounts of crap, again just my dogs. I have 4-5 running dogs and several pups.

I am always looking for a more efficient way to feed them and get the same results.

Good luck with whatever works for yours!!

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

thanks Jim always interested in what others do to keep their hounds. I try to be more ears than mouth.

thanks again
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I have been told I am the opposite for how I do things since I was a kid....slow learner...still get, shut up and listen...LOL.

Good running to all!

warddog

Post by warddog »

I have already brought up Victor which is the new dog food fad at the moment so I will list the first few ingredients of the 24/20 as I read them off their web site.
Beef MEAL, Whole Grain Sorghum,(same as Milo or cattle grain feed) Chicken fat, Whole Grain Millet, (same as bird seed) Chicken MEAL, Pork MEAL, dehydrated Alfalfa MEAL, Flax seed, Oat MEAL....

Now, lets compare the ingredients of Sportmix 24/20 as I have their brochure right here at my desk as I have feed it previously.
Meat MEAL, Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken fat, Chicken By-product MEAL, Ground Brewer's Rice, Dried Beet Pulp, Menhaden Fish MEAL....

Now, can anyone explain to me what the BIG difference is between these two. I understand that some brands plaster these fanciful names to their feed such as PREMIUM, Supreme, Superior, Supremo or what ever they can stick on the bag to grab your money for basically the exact same dry dog feed. Folks, WHERE"S the BEEF, PORK, LAMB, CHICKEN and FISH? MEAL and by products are MEAL and by-products whether they come from any of the species I've cited all ALL of them in "MEAT MEAL".

OK, now comes ALL these folks that will want you to believe that corn is just non digestible for dogs and people for that matter which is absolutely, scientifically NOT TRUE. Sure we may see the hulls in the stool BUT what about all the good stuff inside that hull which is exactly what manufactures do when they use GROUND corn which is essentially corn MEAL. Well, I understand many are still not convinced that ALL this stuff about corn, this and that in dog foods is nothing more than the manufacturer's using consumer's lack of knowledge about what actually goes into their feed. When dry manufactured feeds first got big on the market they ALL had corn but then the competition wanted something DIFFERENT to grab the consumer's eye so they started the BS about corn being undigestible in dogs and replaced it in their formulas with OTHER GRAINS.

In case you question the science about corn and grain digestibility I have posted the science behind it.

As in human food products which I spent 30+ years in, the Industry banks on consumer ignorance to pull that cold hard cash off their hips! I also get a BIG laugh when one of my relatives says " I hate Wal-Mart Meats" that right there is the funniest thing I have ever heard. Anyone know why?

Scientific studies done on dogs show corn to be HIGHLY digestible.
It has been trendy to indict corn for not being digestible, but if you check the stats from a scientific study you will see how highly digestible corn is. (DM = Dry Matter)
Apparent digestibility coecients (%) of ingredients for dogs.
Ingredients DM CP EE Starch NFE
Pearl Millet 86.1a 77.2b 81.7a 99.1a 89.2a
Rice Bran 90.5a 74.8bc 66.8b 99.2a 94.4a
Sorghum Grain 90.4a 88.6a 78.6a 98.7a 92.0a
Wheat Meal 60.7c 67.5cd 53.8c 89.6c 56.1c
Corn Grain 89.3a 88.6a 83.0a 98.5a 90.0a
Rice Meal 56.3d 72.5bcd 85.2a 90.4c 43.5d
CV,% 5.3 9.2 9.9 1.7 5.0
Nutrient digestibility of the feed ingredients for dogs
C.M.L. Sa-Fortes, N. K. Sakomura, A. C. Carciofi, M. O. Mendonca and E. V. V. Freitas
Research performed on corn digestibility in dogs indicated that the digestibility of extruded cooked corn like the corn in Kumpi is very highly digestible. In that scientific nutrient digestibility test dogs were fed the dry extruded ingredients below and digested them at the following percentages on a dry matter basis:
Grain Nutrient Digestibility in Dogs:
• Corn: 89.3%
• Wheat: 60.7%
• Rice: 56.3%

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

warddog, correct me if im wrong but on the sportmix "meatmeal " followed by "corn".......... meat meal is not in the dry state so once dried that makes corn the main ingredient in the dog feed .......... correct or not?

CORN!?!?!?!? When did i have corn????? Corn is far from highly digestible
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

wardog, good post. research my posts and you will find that I believe corn does have food value, pretty much all dog foods for less than 2 dollars a pound are less than what should be called a good food, dogs are not strict carnivores and most don't know any more about dog food than they do about dogs, give them a hat with a dog food logo on it and it will be the best feed out there!!!

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Its been my experience that feed with high amounts of corn does not compliment well on any of my hounds. Poor coats to poor physiques, kinda like mine. JMO
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)