IFC RILEYS ROLLING TRAIL Offspring

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Cottonbust kennel

IFC RILEYS ROLLING TRAIL Offspring

Post by Cottonbust kennel »

Would like to hear about his offspring good or bad and maybe some pic thank

Crow

Re: IFC RILEYS ROLLING TRAIL Offspring

Post by Crow »

I currently own 4 dogs and 3 are out of Trails. I had a 4th out of him that I recently sold. 2 of them are Trails x Spencers Blue Moon, 1 is Trails x McBride's Lucky Jade, and the one I sold was Trails x Spencers Blue Flame. All 4 are rabbit dogs for sure. From my experience all are very intelligent dogs that are upper medium speed and are very line oriented with close, clean check work. They are not slow by any means but they are not race horse dogs. All 4 of mine could easily keep the front when they got it but none seemed willing to skirt or cheat to get there. They all have had above average noses and none have given any early mouth. I'm not saying any are world beaters but they all are sure enough rabbit dogs and are a pleasure to run and hunt over. All have been independent of other dogs in regards to running a rabbit, they pack well but if they split or if the others stop for some reason and they can continue running they do, and do it well. All have been average or a little above on hunt but I will say a dog has to really tear stuff down to impress me with hunt. Most would say their hunt was very good or even great. Hunt is just one of those things that I'm not easily impressed or even satisfied on. They all satisfy me and occasionally impress me with theirs. I don't trial I only pleasure and gun hunt also. If I have to list a negative I'd say they are a little hard headed from time to time, mostly in situations like around the kennel. While feeding or cleaning I train my dogs to "kennel", or stay in their houses until I'm finished. The Trails dogs have picked up on it as fast as any dogs but they also test the waters almost daily. They don't try to bolt out of the kennel but they will see if I'll let them stay outside of their houses. The negative is definitely being very picky though I will admit. In hunting situations they all handle very well and around the lot are very affectionate dogs that love to be petted and are very good natured dogs that you can load or kennel with anything. I've had Trails dogs for about 3 years now and haven't heard a growl out of any of them. Overall I'm extremely pleased with them and if I see one out of him for sale, I always look. If your looking for solid rabbit dogs that can lock on and pound a track and you don't have to have "10" speed Trails blood is a very good place to start IMO. The 1 I sold was because she was just a little faster and a little more "edgy" than I run. I still had her almost 2 years but in the end I felt she would fit someone else's pack better. She was not rough by any means, just had a little more edge than I like, still a fine rabbit dog that could do it right. Sorry for the long post hope this helps.

Here's a pic of my Trails x Spencers Blue Moon Male (Pine Lake's Moon Trails):

Last edited by Crow on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

lab

Post by lab »

I have run alot of Trail dogs and I have found most have alot of brains to them. On the most part they have good hunt to them. the only fault that I have seen with a trail dog is some of them do not put enough mouth out. But I have seen more good ones then bad. He is a dog that I think you should have some of his bloodline in your kennels.

Crow

Post by Crow »

Good point lab. 1 of the 4 I've had doesn't give a lot of mouth when with several dogs. In a 2 or 3 dog pack or solo she lets it just pour out and has a very big mouth as well but when the dog numbers get up about 4 or 5 or beyond she doesn't give a lot. She does give enough to know she's there but nothing like in a small pack or solo.

mud

Post by mud »

I just sold a trail female 5 years old had her from a pup.She had extreme hunt.Her fault was she was a little tight mouthed. She showed up much better when hunted with fewer dogs. She could run a rabbit by herself no problem. Pretty nice jump dog. She came out bloody from one end to the other. I let the guy take her on a 2 week trial. He was satisfied and bought the dog. All in all a very nice dog..

Crow

Post by Crow »

Dug up a couple more pics for you.

This one is the Trails x Spencers Blue Flame Female (the one I sold recently):

And here is the Trails x McBride's Lucky Jade Female:

I don't have a pic of the Trails x Blue Moon female but she is marked very close to the male (her litter mate brother) posted in the first pic I put on here.

Just wanted to give a shout out to Steve Mikkelson for introducing me to such quality dogs and to Chip Davis for also setting me up with a couple more. Both are top notch guys to deal with and are even better people. Thanks again guys.

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

RollingTrack

Post by RollingTrack »

MY ZACRY LAST FEMALE IS AT TRAILS HOUSE NOW...
ROLLING KENNELLS
-------HOME of-------
RILEYS ROLLING DIRTY GIRL
RILEYS ROLLING JAZZY J
RILEYS ROLLING MISS DIXIE

huntinmup2

Post by huntinmup2 »

My 6 month old Trails female started @ 5 months old with very little time on the ground... at 6 months she circling her own rabbit.... and she will be close to 15 inches hopefully... Trails isn't getting any younger guys... I have a another litter on the ground that's all sold...
NLPC IFC RILEYS ROLLING TRAILS 4 MILE KENNELS 4MK

houndsman

Post by houndsman »

Hello guys I was just reading the post and I too have a female born 1-11-10 out of Trails and FC Spencer's Blue Flame and her name on paper is Labs Blue and I call her Lady .I bought her from Bruce Peterson in Indiana and she is a really good dog and she does one heck of a job.. Does anyone of you guys know this dog or previous owner before Bruce I would like to get in touch and chat with them about how many times she has been bred and how the offspring turned out...

matt c

Post by matt c »

Looks like by the name, it was dale labuary. He commented on this post. He goes by lab on the board .

houndsman

Post by houndsman »

Awesome thanks Matt appreciate it I will message him

jumpNrun

Post by jumpNrun »

Really impressed with Coal (Trails X Callie) I've ran with and owned some nice and not so nice hounds this trails male made the cut here.
LpGrch Lpbch Smith's Blue Goose 1st 2012 Il state hunt-1st 2013 Indiana state hunt-2nd 2013 Grand Nationals- Best of show In State
Lprch Hbch Smith's Blue Moon
Lprch Smith's Rolling Sweet Lucy (RIP)

huntinmup2

Post by huntinmup2 »

My 7 month old Trails pup caught her first rabbit two days ago..
In the snow soloing
NLPC IFC RILEYS ROLLING TRAILS 4 MILE KENNELS 4MK

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

Crow wrote:I currently own 4 dogs and 3 are out of Trails. I had a 4th out of him that I recently sold. 2 of them are Trails x Spencers Blue Moon, 1 is Trails x McBride's Lucky Jade, and the one I sold was Trails x Spencers Blue Flame. All 4 are rabbit dogs for sure. From my experience all are very intelligent dogs that are upper medium speed and are very line oriented with close, clean check work. They are not slow by any means but they are not race horse dogs. All 4 of mine could easily keep the front when they got it but none seemed willing to skirt or cheat to get there. They all have had above average noses and none have given any early mouth. I'm not saying any are world beaters but they all are sure enough rabbit dogs and are a pleasure to run and hunt over. All have been independent of other dogs in regards to running a rabbit, they pack well but if they split or if the others stop for some reason and they can continue running they do, and do it well. All have been average or a little above on hunt but I will say a dog has to really tear stuff down to impress me with hunt. Most would say their hunt was very good or even great. Hunt is just one of those things that I'm not easily impressed or even satisfied on. They all satisfy me and occasionally impress me with theirs. I don't trial I only pleasure and gun hunt also. If I have to list a negative I'd say they are a little hard headed from time to time, mostly in situations like around the kennel. While feeding or cleaning I train my dogs to "kennel", or stay in their houses until I'm finished. The Trails dogs have picked up on it as fast as any dogs but they also test the waters almost daily. They don't try to bolt out of the kennel but they will see if I'll let them stay outside of their houses. The negative is definitely being very picky though I will admit. In hunting situations they all handle very well and around the lot are very affectionate dogs that love to be petted and are very good natured dogs that you can load or kennel with anything. I've had Trails dogs for about 3 years now and haven't heard a growl out of any of them. Overall I'm extremely pleased with them and if I see one out of him for sale, I always look. If your looking for solid rabbit dogs that can lock on and pound a track and you don't have to have "10" speed Trails blood is a very good place to start IMO. The 1 I sold was because she was just a little faster and a little more "edgy" than I run. I still had her almost 2 years but in the end I felt she would fit someone else's pack better. She was not rough by any means, just had a little more edge than I like, still a fine rabbit dog that could do it right. Sorry for the long post hope this helps.

Here's a pic of my Trails x Spencers Blue Moon Male (Pine Lake's Moon Trails):

Crow,

I really enjoyed reading your description of these hounds, with an honest critique. I would love to have a database of this or that stud with a report like yours.

Thanks.
Brian
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club