Hare bred cottontail runners

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Trackstar

Hare bred cottontail runners

Post by Trackstar »

Who has a hare bred hound that can latch on to a cottontail.... How is the dog bred?? Or what are some of the hare lines that can set a cottontail on fire
Last edited by Trackstar on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dark Holler Beagles

Re: Hare bread cottontail runners

Post by Dark Holler Beagles »

Right Here right here at Dark Holler Beagles. NLPC FC Woodstock Granppy and FC rabbit Ridge New York Knick bred hounds.
Brad D
Dark Holler Beagles

mybeagles

Re: Hare bred cottontail runners

Post by mybeagles »

Most "hare" lines will set a cottontail on fire on a given day. The question you will have to answer is which ones can slow down and walk a line when conditions are miserable. It will be individual hounds not entire bloodlines even amongst "cottontail" dogs.

Some have had good success over the years crossing the two lines and breeding for specific traits that allow the hound to do both efficiently.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Tuff-E-Nuff

Re: Hare bread cottontail runners

Post by Tuff-E-Nuff »

Dark Holler Beagles wrote:Right Here right here at Dark Holler Beagles. NLPC FC Woodstock Granppy and FC rabbit Ridge New York Knick bred hounds.
:check: :check: :check:
Tuff-E-Nuff Beagles
Silas/Tracy Damron
FCLP Salem's Willy Nelson
GR R.CH Tuff-E-Nuff Annie
HOF Gr.RCh/GrB.Ch Tuff-E-Nuff Charm
Harrogate. TN.

RABBITBUTCHER

Post by RABBITBUTCHER »

THE BEST THING IS TO START THEM ON COTTONTAILS.
HAVE SEEN GOOD HARE DOGS THAT COULD'T RUN A COTTONTAIL.
HOME OF HOF FC FLETCHER'S ELECTRA

Newt

Post by Newt »

Trackstar wrote:Who has a hare bred hound that can latch on to a cottontail.... How is the dog bred?? Or what are some of the hare lines that can set a cottontail on fire
Joe Wingate from Eastern North Carolina has dogs that can run hare and cottontails efficiently.

DEA

Post by DEA »

They better be able to run both well or they dont stay here. I run mine on both in a same weekend.

DEA

HAREHOUND

Post by HAREHOUND »

ditto - i have both hare n cottontail in my back yard so there are times when they switch from one to the other within an hour.

transman63

Post by transman63 »

DEA wrote:They better be able to run both well or they dont stay here.

DEA
branko,stricker,blazerll,oliver,trails,slick,and more.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

pcable

Post by pcable »

Got a kennel full of Hare bred hounds here in Eastern KY. They have no problem with the cottontails! I have Branko, Striker, and Shaker bred dogs. In the past I have had Northway, Patch, and Paycheck bred hounds. None of them had trouble with these cottontails. Sure, some did better than others, but overall they all did a good job. I guess I don't have a cottontail bred dog on the place, but they can gear down and walk out a track when need be or they can smoke a bunny on a good track!
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

I've whitnessed a hound by the name of Rip do it quite a few times while I was gun hunting him.

DEA

Post by DEA »

Hey Fellas
With that said I have colby hill/blackpoint, pacesetter, shaker, grampy bred hounds not in any kind of order. There is also some backyard breeding in there as well. Now they can sometimes be a little rammy after runnin hare for a week but it doesnt take long to settle in and get the job done.

Shoot Straight
DEA

ANTHONY KERR

Post by ANTHONY KERR »

That is all we run on cottontails. Northway,old Branko,Awful Bawlin,and other goodies thrown in.
Where's the earth shattering kaboom ?

Trackstar

Post by Trackstar »

pcable wrote:Got a kennel full of Hare bred hounds here in Eastern KY. They have no problem with the cottontails! I have Branko, Striker, and Shaker bred dogs. In the past I have had Northway, Patch, and Paycheck bred hounds. None of them had trouble with these cottontails. Sure, some did better than others, but overall they all did a good job. I guess I don't have a cottontail bred dog on the place, but they can gear down and walk out a track when need be or they can smoke a bunny on a good track!
My kennel is similar to your kennel with the striker, shaker stuff Jumped 9 got 8 yesterday jumped 5and got 4 today.... Dogs done great