F.C> Champions That Stand Around

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dhoundman

F.C> Champions That Stand Around

Post by dhoundman »

Tell me how is that the Mid-West Judges (of whom I respect greatly) can make a Field Champion out of a dog that has been just standing and looking at the pack of dogs. Then when they stricke run to the pack and go untile they lose it then fall out stand around and NOT HUNT TILL IT HAPPENS TIME AND AGAIN.
COULD SOME ONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THat TO ME. I THUOGHT THEY HAD TO HUNT WITH THE PACK TO BE SCORED WITH PACK :argue:
I HAVE HEARD IT IS HAPPENING TIME AND AGAIN WITH OTHER THEN JUST ONE GUYS DOG. :hammer: NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOUR BUDDY'S HAVE DONE FOR THE CLUB OR THE TRIALS YOU KEEP THIS UP AND IT WILL TRASH THE BEAGLE BREED ALL TOGEHER :loser:
I HAVE ALWAYS SAID THE MID-WEST HAS DONE MORE TO MAKE BETTER GUN DOGS (GUN DOGS HUNT AND JUMP THE RABBIT FOR YOU) IF YOU ARE ONE OF THESE JUDGES AND (YOU NOW WHO YOU ARE) GROW A PAIR AND TELL YOU BUDDY HE NEEDS TO GET A BETTER DOG. :nod:
BEING A JUDGE IS VERY HARD AND IS NOT FOR THOSE THAT CAN NOT STAND ALONE
IT DOES NOT PAY ENOUGH
NO BODY LIKE YOU
IT TEARS YOU BODY UP
KEEPS YOU FROM YOUR FAMILY
TAKES UP THE HOLE WEEK END
AND LEST OF ALL YOU CAN NOT TALK TO ANY BODY WITH OUT SOME BODY COMPLAINING LIKE I AM DOING RIGHT NOW.
BUT THAT IS WHY THEY CALL IT JUDGING NOT KISSING YOUR BUDDYS :moon: COME ON GUYS GET IT (EVERY BODY CAN SEE THAT YOU HAVE SCREWED UP) JUST CLEAN UP YOUR ACT FOR FUTURE OF A SPORT THAT WE ALL LOVE AND WANT TO ENJOY.

wildcatfan0309

Re: F.C> Champions That Stand Around

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

My self i think the judging had improved!!
A few years ago i wasnt to impressed
And done my share griping on here.
But i seen some fine jusging at the midwest run off
this past weekend and no we didnt win!!
But i dont think it could have been judged any better
Thought they done a great job!!

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I have judged a few AKC trials and always try to eliminate dogs that don't hunt. I have not seen it to be a prevailing problem....is this something you personally witnessed or just heard from someone else?

I don't want to make the Mid-West out to be perfect but lack of hunt amongst Field Champions is not a big problem. Some no doubt have more hunt than others, but generally speaking the faster formats are more focused on the speed, drive, and checks.

Your not without options:

1. Attend judging seminar, get licensed and judge some trials to root out the corruption.

2. Stop entering dogs under the "bad" judges. If word gets out that a judge is bad and entries drop, they won't be used to judge.

3. Become active club member and cast your vote for better judging selections.

If your not involved in the process then don't criticize! That's my take on it.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Newt

Post by Newt »

If hunt was a high priority it would be a significant part of scoring a hound. If it was scored highly, then there would be very few threads looking for dogs that produced a lot of hunt. The "Field Champion" title would be synonymous with good hunt.

I went to a LPH Trial some years ago. At every check, several hounds would quit and head for the garbage cans. Once another hound did the work and found the line, the garbage can dogs would get back in the race. One of the garbage can champions placed second that day. If I had owned #4 he would have been in a garbage can before the next trial.

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

Ive seen dogs loaf in lil pack and accidently trip over a rabbit
Then that rabbit went 10 ft to a hole n that was the only points in the cast
And the loafer went to the next round while better dogs went home
Although i only run hard hunters its still hard to judge on hunt and get the best over all rabbit dog
Thats capable of bringing the bunny back to the gun

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Judging is a thankless job. Someone is always mad. It's like one guy said, we all hear our dog and think he's really rolling up the points. What we don't see is where that dog is in relation to the pack and the judge. Had that happen last week. Thought he was in the running but he was too far back to score. I haven't trialed long, but there's a lot of luck involved too. You have to have the dog, especially on checks and hunt. We need to weed out the poor/buddy judges but fewer young people are getting involved so finding judges is a problem too. We had two judges at our first hunt. The next hunt, that club had five or six. Made the hunt go faster. I want to win as much as the next guy but I want my dog to be judged fairly. What good is a FC if you cheated to get it?
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

The reason we don't have as many young people in it and not judging is because to many cry babies crying foul play or crying cheating and no new kid or young guy wants to get treated that way off the get go even if it was honest!!!! If you ain't winning then dog up or shut up and keep running!!! Maybe the people winning are training their dogs harder and are just flat better dogs!! Is there cheating or buddy judges I'm sure there are but if these dogs keep winning week after week or are finishing under multiple judges maybe you need to hit more trials to see the dog or you just ain't got the dog power!! I haven't won squat but have placed my dogs before but I'm not crying cheating maybe I just need more dog power or I need to train mine better and more often!!!

Dog up or go to the truck and cry!! :nod:
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

JCM

Post by JCM »

johns03272008 wrote:The reason we don't have as many young people in it and not judging is because to many cry babies crying foul play or crying cheating and no new kid or young guy wants to get treated that way off the get go even if it was honest!!!! If you ain't winning then dog up or shut up and keep running!!! Maybe the people winning are training their dogs harder and are just flat better dogs!! Is there cheating or buddy judges I'm sure there are but if these dogs keep winning week after week or are finishing under multiple judges maybe you need to hit more trials to see the dog or you just ain't got the dog power!! I haven't won squat but have placed my dogs before but I'm not crying cheating maybe I just need more dog power or I need to train mine better and more often!!!

Dog up or go to the truck and cry!! :nod:
:nod:

HorsemanJP

Post by HorsemanJP »

We'll said ,John

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

the thing about mid-west judging is no one judges by the book, i think all the judges judge on what they like to run there selfs, thats why you have so many different style of dogs finishing. if we all would judge by the book we would get more consistent dogs finishing. and get rid of some of the buddy judging.

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

Not been trailing vary long but I I've seen Dogs stand around and win seen dogs cold trail and win thought that was part of trailing.. I can say one thang I want be breading any of my females to a stud dog till I see it run and ill be the judge if I breed to the dog that holds the FC or LPGRC title!

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Mr. Conroe nailed that one down pretty clearly....

tcshy

Post by tcshy »

Amen mr. Conroe if you dont judge by the rules then why have the dam rules. By the way the akc field trial rules are a little ridiculous if a dog would do all that you would have a robot dog. The rules need redone and then judge by them. Basically when money is involved everything is corrupted.

Parker7

Post by Parker7 »

This is why I like little pack, a good handler or houndsman will know where his dog stands at the end of a rabbit race. I know if my dog got a jump strike and I hear him grab the checks. The rules are pretty black and white. Little pack is not purfect but a good handler pretty much knows the score befor the judge reads it off.

Collins Country

Post by Collins Country »

I thought the reason there were no young judges in Mid-West was because all these clubs keep calling the same few judges!!! There's a whole list to choose from but if you check out the hunt adds, I dought they use 20 % of those on the list!
Robert Collins
Eubank, KY
606-383-2767

http://collinscountryky.tripod.com/