Joy dog food

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mfusco83

Joy dog food

Post by mfusco83 »

My local feed store has joy dog food . Pro 24/20 soy free and pro 26/18 soy free. I feed hi - standard right now. Just wondering if I could get some feed back on this feed good or bad was thinking about switch to it. Thanks in advance.
Mike Fusco

Dayton Beagler

Re: Joy dog food

Post by Dayton Beagler »

I fed it and sold it for the better part of 20 years. It has changed hands 3 times, now it is made in same plant as Hi-Standard. You will find 10 who like it and 10 who don't but I will say as someone who has a dual certification in nutrition, if your dog does well on it, it is as good as brand X with same ingredients. When they sold Joy to Hi Standard I went to Purina because I was close to the old plant where it was once made and the sale changed distributorship, plus I like the Purina rebates. BTW The 24/20 is what I preferred. let me add this as well. The 2nd owners made 23 different name brands of dog food for national named companies, this company is in St. Marys Ohio. Well there was an argument on one of the boards about how brand x was better then Joy. Here's the kicker, it was same exact feed different bag. Diamond makes multiple brands of feed also, so when the Diamond argument comes into play the brand x may very well be same food as the Diamond but arguments seem to prevail.lol

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

I stopped using Joy 20 years ago, when I started finding potato chips, saw dust, and other debris in the bag. If their quality control has improved since then, someone else will have to determine that.
Big Mike

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

I'm currently feeding it. Only have two dogs but they eat all that's feed to them, hold plenty of weight on it, and their waste is solid. So seem to do pretty good on it.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

Dayton Beagler

Post by Dayton Beagler »

Big Mike wrote:I stopped using Joy 20 years ago, when I started finding potato chips, saw dust, and other debris in the bag. If their quality control has improved since then, someone else will have to determine that.

Shouldn't be an issue now, new owners x two since then. You had the Oakdale, PA feed. It is now owned and made in Illinois

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

I believe it's made in Pinckneyville Illinois, which is about 60miles NW of we're I'm located, so kinda locally made for me, but only know of one place nearby that carries it.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

Dayton Beagler

Post by Dayton Beagler »

ericwaddle3 wrote:I believe it's made in Pinckneyville Illinois, which is about 60miles NW of we're I'm located, so kinda locally made for me, but only know of one place nearby that carries it.
Owned by Wade Graskewicz

Hi-Standard Dog Food
P.O. Box 305
Pinckneyville, Illinois 62274

warddog

Post by warddog »

Dayton Beagler wrote:I fed it and sold it for the better part of 20 years. It has changed hands 3 times, now it is made in same plant as Hi-Standard. You will find 10 who like it and 10 who don't but I will say as someone who has a dual certification in nutrition, if your dog does well on it, it is as good as brand X with same ingredients. When they sold Joy to Hi Standard I went to Purina because I was close to the old plant where it was once made and the sale changed distributorship, plus I like the Purina rebates. BTW The 24/20 is what I preferred. let me add this as well. The 2nd owners made 23 different name brands of dog food for national named companies, this company is in St. Marys Ohio. Well there was an argument on one of the boards about how brand x was better then Joy. Here's the kicker, it was same exact feed different bag. Diamond makes multiple brands of feed also, so when the Diamond argument comes into play the brand x may very well be same food as the Diamond but arguments seem to prevail.lol
After the other thread about dog food manufacturing I was going to stay away from any more BUT couldn't resist as it is just something that blows my mind. Dayton beagle has just added more to the very thing I have been trying to tell folks. I tried to coax them into the conversation about their own food in Wal-Mart meat but got no takers. Well, just as Dayton explained with the dog food YOUR food is done the exact same way as there are probably about three or four TOP manufactures or producers of meat and poultry products in the U.S. Here's a question about the meat and poultry we consume that maybe I can get someone to answer. What does Tyson produce?

Gaphillbeagles

Post by Gaphillbeagles »

Tyson produces Poultry, mostly chicken, They have a plant in new holland pa about 15 minutes from me.

Dayton Beagler

Post by Dayton Beagler »

warddog wrote:
Dayton Beagler wrote:I fed it and sold it for the better part of 20 years. It has changed hands 3 times, now it is made in same plant as Hi-Standard. You will find 10 who like it and 10 who don't but I will say as someone who has a dual certification in nutrition, if your dog does well on it, it is as good as brand X with same ingredients. When they sold Joy to Hi Standard I went to Purina because I was close to the old plant where it was once made and the sale changed distributorship, plus I like the Purina rebates. BTW The 24/20 is what I preferred. let me add this as well. The 2nd owners made 23 different name brands of dog food for national named companies, this company is in St. Marys Ohio. Well there was an argument on one of the boards about how brand x was better then Joy. Here's the kicker, it was same exact feed different bag. Diamond makes multiple brands of feed also, so when the Diamond argument comes into play the brand x may very well be same food as the Diamond but arguments seem to prevail.lol
After the other thread about dog food manufacturing I was going to stay away from any more BUT couldn't resist as it is just something that blows my mind. Dayton beagle has just added more to the very thing I have been trying to tell folks. I tried to coax them into the conversation about their own food in Wal-Mart meat but got no takers. Well, just as Dayton explained with the dog food YOUR food is done the exact same way as there are probably about three or four TOP manufactures or producers of meat and poultry products in the U.S. Here's a question about the meat and poultry we consume that maybe I can get someone to answer. What does Tyson produce?
I browsed through that thread and I agreed with you 100%. There was a dog man years ago that owned a dog food plant his name was Rocky Stone, he educated me on the dog food business at a very young age. I spent my whole life studying bio chemistry and nutrition. I have done water racing, coon dog field trialing, greyhound racing, bird dog trials etc. I use a mix of all of those genres to succeed in what I do at the present. And lets talk about raw diets there are experts on this, ya know ? and they don't know you can feed the same meat the greyhound people mix with their kibble for .45 cent per pound. LOL

warddog

Post by warddog »

I finally got me a nibble on the TYSON question and I'm still chumming to see if I can land some more and fill my stringer up with fish!

warddog

Post by warddog »

Well to answer the question, TYSON FOODS is one of the largest producers of both meat and poultry in the U.S. YES, I said meat, both pork and beef as well as chicken and turkeys. Years ago Tyson bought out the largest red meat producer known as IBP or Iowa Beef producers on their way to monopolizing the market. Tyson had, as of the 2001 Meat and Poultry Inspection directory 60 plants throughout the U.S. In looking at just one of those plants they produced products under 55 different Brand names in which they were listed as DBA. There are also others that hold their fair share of the food market monopoly such as Conagra which is also in the grain market as well.(pet foods) It is actually a Corporate conglomerate tied in with Beatrice foods and Swift. In this Directory I spoke of earlier I checked on this conglomerate of Beatrice/ Conagra/ Swift/Eckrich, ALL the same Corporation and counted 16 individual plants that were DBA 380 Brand name meat and poultry products. This was in the first three pages of the directory that has 500 meat and poultry producing plants NOT to even count those that produce other species such as buffalo, deer and rabbit. ALL of the offall as we call it which is anything NOT fit for human consumption goes to the rendering companies where again are but a mere handful in the entire U.S. How in the world can anyone think they have a clue of what's actually in their pets food when they have no clue of what they themselves are eating. I will say that meat and poultry used to be one of the most federally regulated industries out there BUT that is NOT true any longer as even the industry that produces the FOODS that we ALL eat has been deregulated going back to 1999. FDA is but another agency that is mandated by law to assure that ALL foods other than meat and poultry which comes solely under the jurisdiction of USDA are clean, wholesome, unadulterated and properly labeled that in FACT do NOT do so. Imaging all this confusion in the food your family puts on it's table let alone what YOU put in your pets feed bowl? There is one little difference in that at least there are federal regulations on foods intended for Human consumption even though limited in enforcement on Human food. There are absolutely NONE when it comes to pet foods being clean, wholesome, unadulterated and properly labeled for your pet. The question may be asked ,"how would clean, wholesome, unadulterated and properly labeled come into play for pets" as we all know that pets aren't people BUT the actual premise is that the foods would not contain any poison or deleterious substances which may render it injurious to your pets health. One such example of an adulterated pet product would be one that contained MELAMINE which by the way is a slick trick by a pet food ingredient manufacturer to increase the protein value of it's cheaper product!

Buckeye Blues

Post by Buckeye Blues »

I live in St. Marys, Oh, and feed the home brand of Pro-pet. I have had to buy a bag of Joy when the store was out of Pro-pet. I didn't notice any difference in how the dogs accepted it. The fat/ protein wasn't what I normally feed so I switched back after the one bag. Wouldn't be afraid to substitute it again though.

Pro-Pet makes, just to name a few, QC, Big Red, Country Squire, Hi Standard, Pro Pet, and Blue Buffalo. They also make a brand for some folks out of Indiana. I just don't remember the name.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

We have a Perdue chicken plant close to us. People that work there have told me that the chicken blood and parts of the inside are contained in a big tank. Perdue sales it to a dog food manufactures. Also the feet are sold to china cause they said the prepare someway and eat them like we eat popcorn. Idk if all this info is correct that's just through the grapevine.

Here's a question though... I do know guys who collect some dead chickens from these chicken farms. Not old, but freshly dead. They use to feed raw. They add steroids to the chicken feed, so would that affect the dog itself?
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Dayton Beagler

Post by Dayton Beagler »

Buckeye Blues wrote:I live in St. Marys, Oh, and feed the home brand of Pro-pet. I have had to buy a bag of Joy when the store was out of Pro-pet. I didn't notice any difference in how the dogs accepted it. The fat/ protein wasn't what I normally feed so I switched back after the one bag. Wouldn't be afraid to substitute it again though.

Pro-Pet makes, just to name a few, QC, Big Red, Country Squire, Hi Standard, Pro Pet, and Blue Buffalo. They also make a brand for some folks out of Indiana. I just don't remember the name.

Exactly, When Pro- Pet bought the Joy name and recipe from Best Feeds they did so they would have their own established national name. I know at one time they manufactured 23 name brands. I also know many of those names with same analysis is same food. Hence many of my dog food is better than your dog food arguments is null.
Last edited by Dayton Beagler on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.