Rabbit Portals

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

John Way

Rabbit Portals

Post by John Way »

Was curious if anyone had a proven idea or technique for allowing rabbits to enter a fenced enclosure, while preventing an exit. Always a good amount of tracks outside the fence. Have noticed the smallest tears/holes in the wire ,are eventually located and used as a thoroughfare. Perhaps would b an easy way to bring and keep , a few more on the grounds. Have used this techinque with poultry for years, but never implemented with rabbits.

Newt

Re: Rabbit Portals

Post by Newt »

I've heard this works. Put a peace of plastic corrugated pipe through /under the fence. Inside the fence turn it up so the rabbit can't see the hole after he exits the pipe.

John Way

Post by John Way »

Newt, Interesting concept. May just give that a try. Will hang a trail camera as a 24/7 observant for few weeks. That should tell the story.

DAN LANG

Post by DAN LANG »

John..i have then dig into the pen at times....I can also trap right along side the fence.......that may be safer then making a hole in your fence..

Crow

Post by Crow »

What about a door hinged at the top of your "portal" and the bottom angled toward the direction you want the to be able to go. From the side it would look something like this (forgive me but my iPad keyboard is limited) direction of travel is shown as > or < door shown as \. So if you want them to come in then hinged at the top >\ but trying to get out would be very difficult \< make any sense?

Maybe use PVC pipe or corrugated pipe through your fence with the inside end cut to 45 degrees with the above described door on the inside end hinged at the top. The biggest problem I see is if rabbits can easily get in so can things that eat rabbits (cats, mink, weasels) but then again I'd say its nearly impossible to keep those critters out anyway.

Farm dog

Post by Farm dog »

I use a 4" PVC pipe with a 90 degree turn and put a 4" animal guard in it. The animal guard is what you put in tile so animals can't get in. The animal guard will be at an angle. Rabbits can get in but not out.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

intersting thought with the animal guard. what i have done in past in take a 4 inch pvc pipe put it up about 6 inches off the ground end where u want rabbits to come in is open the other end i fix WIRE LIKE CHICKEN WIRE and wrap it around end of pipe i like that end to be higher off ground not alot but maybe up to a 8 inches or so i tie it to pipe with whatever i got handy have used screw that hold tin roofs on and electric wire so that the end can swing ,,the rabbit goes in and whoop he cant get back out ...works well .but the other guys idea seems simpler i gotta look into that .
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

Anything that's going to allow the rabbit in will also allow weasels, minks, fishers......in just as well. I would trap if legal in your area and put them in.....then do your best to keep everything else outside of the fence.

TC

Post by TC »

Trapped 10 last winter with just a wire trap sat along the fence line. Just reach over and dump em in have only got 4 so far this year. I also caught about 8 skunks and a couple of possums as well as a cat! No baint in the trap just sat it right up against the fence swap directions every few days..
From Field to Show and Show to Field the way it should be

John Way

Post by John Way »

Thanks for responses. Some good thoughts. Love the cooperation/brainstorming u can recieve on this site. Trapping would b ideal, but for me, that would require a 1/2 hour drive every day to check traps. Looking for an alternative that tends itself. Farm Dog , any chance of posting picture with animal guard attached? Sure is simple enough, but a picture is worth 1000 words.

Farm dog

Post by Farm dog »

Not sure about posting a pic. My number is 419-210-0837. Text me and I'll take a pic and send it

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

TC wrote:Trapped 10 last winter with just a wire trap sat along the fence line. Just reach over and dump em in have only got 4 so far this year. I also caught about 8 skunks and a couple of possums as well as a cat! No baint in the trap just sat it right up against the fence swap directions every few days..
Fence line trapping. Works like a champ. No need to mess up the fence when this is so easy and works so well.

John Jarzynski

Post by John Jarzynski »

John, I want a full report on my desk

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

john,
i remember years ago someone had PVC pipe buried and on the inside had a flap like they have on tractor exhaust. ill try to remember who had it and see if i can get a picture.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.