Great Northern MI Weekend

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

SMITTY1233

Great Northern MI Weekend

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Friday started off by putting my male pup coyote hound on his first cold track by himself. He had the yote jumped and running for his life in short order. Dumped in the box on him and about 4.5 hours later after several circles my Dad knocked him down.

Since the day was young about 2 o'clock we decided to grab the beagles and head into the cedar swamp for a hare race or two. We were using .22 pistols. Shortly after we turned loose they had one up and were signing some tunes. After about a 2 hour race in 17" of snow with a 1/2 crust 8" down we put him down. My little male looked awesome. His father was steady as always.

Saturday we decided to try an find a cat. With the snow conditions it was very tough at times to decipher what was what. I put down on what we thought was a real nice cat and it may have been. Shortly there after it turned into a yote race. We had a yote crossing and dumped in my male and two other hounds. They caught him after about 2 miles. No pictures of this yote sorry.

Sunday we had a heck of race about 6 hours on a real nice female dog. She took us all over the country wore down some of our best hounds. Finally late in the day we got a road crossing and cousin Kenny took a crack at him with buck shot. Hit him and my little male along with three others ran him down and closed the deal. Beautiful yote with awesome pelt.

hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

birmi1nr

Re: Great Northern MI Weekend

Post by birmi1nr »

Thats my kind of weekend!
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA

Ron Conroe

Post by Ron Conroe »

great hunt, and some nice pics.

19rabbit52

Post by 19rabbit52 »

On my way to run beagles yesterday afternoon I see a guy coming across field with hound on lead and dragging a coyote. I knew him so stopped and talked for a minute. These guys hunt with 22 mags, admire anyone that kills them that way.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Those are some of the best looking yotes I have seen Smitty. DEAD ones!

Skip

Post by Skip »

Very Nice! Were you above or below the bridge?

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Skip,

Long time buddy, good to hear from you....

We were at the cabin... When you going to hook up with us and chase some yoties... Was a great time. What do you have left for beagles? I have Gunner and his pup Copper who is turning into a nice little hound in his own right.

Take care...
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

Skip

Post by Skip »

Hi Kris,
I've had a blast the couple times running yotes with you guys! Good to hear your young dog is doing well...he looks like a "Blue-Cap" in the picture above (I know he's not).
I still have my Buttermilk female out of Nats Tom Boy. No matter what I do, she keeps getting older every year though (lol). And I still have Nellie (Gunner x Buttermilk). I will need to do something to re-load someday soon...just seems like I don't have the time like I used to.

Good to hear from you ole friend!

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

Skip,

That little male is out of Gunner Boy and a bitch out of JR's Top Gun Tyke and Indian Hills Cooco. Really impressed with him thus far. Unfortunately this yote hunting is addicting and he sits in the pen a fair amount of time. He'd be a heck of a dog if I'd owned him 7-10 years ago when I was pounding the beagles. Just not enough time in the day or week to make it all happen. Don't be a stranger. Snow north is deep... I doubt I even take the beagles back when I go... We should hook up and chase some hare someday soon. Always a good time around Rose City... Lot of memories of some great hunts...
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

warddog

Post by warddog »

Smitty,

You will find that as you get older even your priorities change so that those things one lived and breathed when younger really aren't at the top of their list any longer. I thought that when I retired I would have all the time in the world to hunt and run dogs but soon learned that those days of being my priority have faded. It was kind of like how I could hardly wait for the weekend to hunt and or fish and I dreamed of having my own place so as to be able to do so. WELL, I did finally work every hour I could to be able to buy just that with 106 acres of prime deer property, two nice little lakes loaded with fish, rabbits and turkey as well. At first I was out all the time and even had deer camp for two weeks every deer season with my dad, brother and other relatives but then something happened. My dad and brother passed as did some other relatives and the bright flame started to fizzle. Try to get as much as you can while the flame is bright as one never knows what may cause it to dimmer BUT it will. I love seeing and reading your pics and hunt stories.