Switching Pup Question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

chris1971

Switching Pup Question

Post by chris1971 »

Have a litter with 8 pups, two days later second litter with only 1 pup. Has anyone ever put extra pups on a bitch with smaller litter with any luck. Just curious if anyone has tried this with success. The pups are 8 and 10 days old. It would help both females if it would work. Thanks for any information

deerhost

Re: Switching Pup Question

Post by deerhost »

I have done it. Had two litters a week apart. First bitch had 3 the second bitch had only two pups but produced very little milk. So I put the two pups with the first bitch and her pups. She never batted an eye and just let them feed....hope that helps.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I have done it. Had two litters a week apart. First bitch had 3 the second bitch had only two pups but produced very little milk. So I put the two pups with the first bitch and her pups. She never batted an eye and just let them feed....hope that helps.

chris1971

Post by chris1971 »

Think i may try. Both bitches are easy going and kenneled together. Thanks for the reply

Newt

Post by Newt »

Some bitches will take them some won't. I have had bitches steal pups from the other bitches dog house and put them with her own. I also had one to kill a pup that I put in her box, hoping that she would adopt it.

chris1971

Post by chris1971 »

Did she kill pup straight away or after you thought it was gonna be ok?

Newt

Post by Newt »

chris1971 wrote:Did she kill pup straight away or after you thought it was gonna be ok?
After I thought she had accepted it the next morning I found that she had bit it and it died. There was only one mark on it. Her tooth had penetrated its head.

CGS KENNEL SHAWN

Post by CGS KENNEL SHAWN »

I have put pups on other dogs a few times over the years. The best results I have had is when I take a t-shirt rag and rub down all the puppies and then rub the pup or pups that I am put into the litter never lost any that way. Learned that trick from a dear old friend.
S&S KENNEL SHAWN
2013 Spring National Winner GRCH CGS To Hot Too Molly
LP RCH BAD HABIT
LP RCH Sadie Mae

chris1971

Post by chris1971 »

Thanks Shawn. I have miked horses and cows and wiped the orphan down with the serogate mothers milk and that worked. I will try the shrit trick. Thanks

allniter

Post by allniter »

I have done it several times ---I use VICKS VAPOR RUB----just rub on all the pups with the VICKS --and the nose of the females --I have had good luck with doing that way
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

allniter wrote:I have done it several times ---I use VICKS VAPOR RUB----just rub on all the pups with the VICKS --and the nose of the females --I have had good luck with doing that way
:thumbsup:
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

chris1971

Post by chris1971 »

photo (7).JPG
Thanks Allniter
I used the Vapor rub and she did fine with them. Checked this morning and they were all nursing. I am pretty sure that once they have a bowl movement and she can detect her odor because of her milk they have been nursing on that we are in the clear. They have been on her for about 15 hours so I think we are in good shape. I just put two on her but I may put two more on her and that will give her 5 and the smaller female 4 to raise.

chris1971

Post by chris1971 »

photo (8).JPG
Added two more on her last night to help my other female. The vapor rub did the trick and also she is very laid back so I would say that helped also.

DAN LANG

Post by DAN LANG »

..I did with no problem......bitch had only 2 pups and had a C-section..when I got her home she was just out of it...so I put the pups on another bitch that had 5 or 6 pups...so two more didn't hurt.......raised all of them.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

I've done it with no issue what so ever. The vicks isn't a bad idea, but I don't think your fooling anyone. Bitch's know their new born pups intimately, from their heart rate, breathing, the unique vocal noises each make, movement, etc. Just like wolves, I think it's natural for most of them to nurture a pack mate's pups. Depends on the bitch though, just supervise the introduction closely at first and you'll know in a few seconds weather or not she'll accept them.