What is the Best Dog Food???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Alabama John

Re: What is the Best Dog Food???

Post by Alabama John »

likeumfast,
That is compared to most chickens and even better against the low protein ones. Best dark brown layers I know of. Good foragers too. These eggs are preferred over the store white ones by many around here. We don't sell them, just use them ourselves as many have small personal use flocks in Alabama.
On the other hand there are lots of big, several thousand, chicken egg producing farms here and a Tysom chicken processing plant close by. All those have white chickens and white eggs.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Shady, Nice story, I guess we can assume that 'ole Leet didn't fret to much about killing his hounds by letting them get anywhere near a bone, as some seem to do!

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:Hey,I've got to tell you a story.I've gotten to the age where I've got a lot of them.
In 1974 I moved from Massachusetts into the mountains of New Hampshire.I got introduced to coon,cat and bear hunting and was soon looking for hounds of my own.
Everybody I asked about hounds told me I needed to go see Leet Ware over in Vermont as he was a bigtime bear hunter with good hounds.I got directions and headed out.Finding Leet's place and pulling up his drive I saw kind of an unbeilavable sight.It was about 10 degress out and here's this white haired guy bucking up a 1,200 pound Holstein with a chainsaw and throwing chunks of frozen cow to his hounds!
I asked if he was Leet Ware and he kind of growled"who wants to know?"I told him that I wanted to talk dogs with him and he invited me in and that began a long hunting friend ship of many years.
I asked Leet about feeding dead cows and he said he fed horses too.Said he fed that only in the winter and summer was just regular chow.Leet and his brother Willard kept about 25 big hounds between them.They knew about every farmer around and when there would be calves born dead or a cow go down that wasn't saleable they'd go get them for dog food or in the Spring for bear bait.
There was an old time commision sale that would go on every Monday across the river in Vermont.I used to go sometimes cause it was more entertainment than you can imagine.All the real old/longtime Vermont farmers would come down out of the hills with just about everything and critter you can imagine to sell.A lot of old plug horses would be brought in to sell.Most were being bought for the rendering plant and were going for $25.00-$50.00.Leet and Willard would go down and buy a horse cheap.Haul him home and feed dogs for weeks.
When I was coon hunting I'd take my hides to the fur buyer.He was an old guy that had been buying fur all over for years.We got to talking one time and Leet's name came up.The old fur buyer told me that the first time he had met Leet was he'd gone there to buy some bobcat hides Leet had called him about.When he got there Leet had just come in from hunting and was skinning out two bobcats.When he was done he pitched the bobcat carcases in to his hounds which the promptly ate.
I don't know if those old boys were feeding the "best dog food" but they sure had some pretty good hounds over the years.
Sounds about like my place. Only I use a hatchet and an old meat cleaver instead of a chainsaw. lol! I've had a few random visitors show up while I'm hacking up a baby holstean calf or deer and the looks on their faces is priceless. lol! I've even shot a couple nusance cats and feed'em to the dogs. Shawn Ohlinger whitnessed that and calle me crazy! lol!

warddog

Post by warddog »

Shady,
I love these ole stories. Ole LEET and the rest of them ole boys were feeding the very best food there was and is right now today. Why because it was processed by mother nature and NOT MAN. Mother nature makes it for nourishing the body not the pocketbook! Everything mother nature produces is made to recycle BUT then man and his greed get into the way and try to fool mother nature. EVERYTHING ole Leet and them ole boys put into food goes there today with the difference being man has learned the science of breaking them all down so as to use way less and charge more. An ole dead 1200 pound steer may be rendered into enough beef meal to make several tons of the BEST dog food on the market with beef meal as the number one ingredient with a protein percentage of 30 with merely a drive by addition of the actual beef in the formulation. At least ole Leet and friends didn't have to worry about "WHERE'S THE BEEF" or chicken or lamb or pork or meat period as they knew exactly where it was.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Ironjaw, I have been throwing the cats over the hill as I heard they could upset the nutritional balance of a good dog food, any truth to that in your experience, LOL!

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

gwyoung wrote:Ironjaw, I have been throwing the cats over the hill as I heard they could upset the nutritional balance of a good dog food, any truth to that in your experience, LOL!
Ahh I've only fed a couple and they took'em just fine! lol!

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Raw is the best!!!
VICTOR for the rest!!
BONE BOX BEAGLES

ohlinger

Post by ohlinger »

Oh ya Elliot (IronJaw) the cat was over the top but I can't remember how many road kill deer we cut up that summer....I could use a few more Pro Plan is expensive and a Raw Diet is un-rivaled price wise and dog condition wise. You don't hear much from Raw feeders b/c they don't waste there breath on these posts anymore...just alot of clean up and time required...unless you'r Elliot lol.
NO LUCK KENNEL 330-987-5883 noluckkennels.webs.com

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

Rabbit Tracks and Victor .
Crow R U paying $36 for the 26/18 or the 24/20 ? I feed the 26/18 and last week paid $29.95 just saying cant see a $6.00 + higher price and we r what 60 miles apart !! Unless our supplier gets it the same distributor in Knoxville ? I've told a lot of my coon hunter pals , several changed from Pride and like it
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

finnfin

Post by finnfin »

I have switched to pro plan and can tell the difference in my dogs

finnfin

Post by finnfin »

I have switched to pro plan and can tell the difference in my dogs

ken pack

Post by ken pack »

Raw if I could afford it all the time but I feed Victor to my dogs :!:

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

Ive switched from pro plan to sportmix wholesome chicken and rice because bornagainkennels called me and assasin and hurt my feelings :lol:
But i must say im impressed with the wholesome feed
My dogs defently have healthier shiney coats and are holding up good on the feed
Last edited by wildcatfan0309 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlboomer

Post by jlboomer »

ill back you on the wholesomes been feeding it now for almost a year dogs look good feeding way less than i ever have a 40lb bag last my 8 beagles 3weeks compared to buying 100lbs a month of some of the cheaper stuff. Ran my pups 7 straight mornings last week on a cup and a half a day and looked real good most my dogs are just getting an 8oz measuring cup a day right now where im hardly running due to the heat. always feed the black bag for years but im really liking the wholesomes.
J&M Beagles, Breeding for a true gundog and hunting partner

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

I have good luck with with chicken and rice with no grain. Guys at the trial are no joke. They will feed whatever it takes to win. I wish they all feed poor quality but they dont. Their dogs are top shape, hard as a rock, and endless bottom. I don't know what they feed but I do know it is major quality feed like proplan, ekanuba, taste of the wild, and etc. Some dog does better with certain feed.
Minnesota Beagler