What is the Best Dog Food???

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

beagles270

What is the Best Dog Food???

Post by beagles270 »

I live in central Ky. looking for to get a GOOD DOG FOOD for my beagles, I hear buy this buy that want to get something I can feed year around. I have feed Pride, River Run, Sexton Brothers, Joy, Diamond ..... Need some help want to get on one dog feed and stay with it let me know. Thanks

Crow

Re: What is the Best Dog Food???

Post by Crow »

I don't know if it's available near you but Victor has been doing a very good job for me and several guys in my area. I like the 30/20 but they get a little round looking if they're not running hard on it. The 26/18 and 24/20 both are very good as well. Pretty good price to for the quality of food, runs about $36 out the door for 40 pounds around here. If price isn't an issue there are several meat based high end dog foods out that are excellent but they get up about $3+ per pound.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

beagles270, has exposed a lack on our part, and that is not thoroughly covering a very important aspect of owning dogs namely, dog food! He has been on here since 2009 and should at this point have been provided the answer, shame on us. Let's try to do a little better in the future about covering some of these topics. I will go ahead and provide him with the answer this time but in the future let's discuss important topics like this more often ! purina pro plan performance!
Last edited by gwyoung on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crow

Post by Crow »

gwyoung wrote:beagles270, has exposed a lack on our part, and that is not thoroughly covering a very important aspect of owning dogs, namely dog food! He has been on here since 2009 and should at this point have been provided the answer, shame on us. Let's try to do a little better in the future about covering some of these topics. I will go ahead and provide him with the answer this time but in the future lets discuss important topics like this more often ! purina pro plan performance!
:lol: I didn't see how long he's been on here, maybe no ones talked about this much on here :lol:

Lil.Bredemeier

Post by Lil.Bredemeier »

I've fed victor for a couple years now with great results recently tried pro plan performance an adult on a couple dogs an its pretty good but feel victor is better as far as weight an endurance for my dogs
FCGD Lprch pprch GLOMSKI'S BIG TIME
LpGrch GLOMSKI'S CRIMSON FLAME

beagle1966

Post by beagle1966 »

I feed valu-pak 26-18 dogs stay in good shape but only run once or twice per week buy at local feed store for 19.95 plus tax. for 50 .lb bag

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

How can anyone give a difinitive answer to this question?

If 50 people respond there will be 35 different feeds recommended. Just because your dogs are still alive doesn't mean the food is great or even good.

To me the question seems to be at what price point are you providing the best for your dogs and at what point are you just spending extra money thinking your feeding your dogs better?
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

beagles270

Post by beagles270 »

Just asking, if 50 people answer and 35 feed the same with good results then that has to be a Good dependable food. Far has price it can be 19 - 28 dollars a 50 lb. bag. Right now I feed pride 26/18 and it is 25.50 a bag.

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

Purina hands down
No way to beat it

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Victor
BONE BOX BEAGLES

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

VICTOR!!
BONE BOX BEAGLES

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

This isnt what you were asking probably but... Raw, chicken or beef, fat scraps of either, some vegetables few times a week. You can buy chicken quarters 10lbs bags at Walmart on sale $4.95. Way cheaper then dog food and times healthier in my opinion.

hogbody

Post by hogbody »

Kible at around $25-$28 for a 50lb bag...............It's all about the same
I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and the dogs and me.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

I agree with ironjawdawgs. Raw is best for your hounds.
Dry feed I've had good results out of Victor.
I KNOW, here we go!!!! People say all dog food same, do you really know that's what they say is in it. NO!! I don't.
I've just had good results out of it. 24/20. Till feed changes I'll use it long as it's available for me to get.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

art

Post by art »

i found that purina pro plan is the best ive fed .but i can say this ive also been feeding sportmix 24/20 and the dogs hold up great i feel its a very good quality for the money .i pay 24.50 a 50# bag and i pay 42.00 for 38# purina and its real close .jmo