How many rabbits?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

J Martin

How many rabbits?

Post by J Martin »

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a decline in their rabbit population at their running grounds since the first really cold spell we had here in Ky or surrounding areas? Also how many, or what percentage do you feel make it through the winter on a farm that doesnt get hunted any at all? It seems to me like rabbits have become harder to find the last couple weeks. Maybe they're just not sitting in their usual places due to this weather. I'm not sure, but lets hear some opinions on the subject.
Jonathan Martin
Buffalo Branch Beagles

johns03272008

Re: How many rabbits?

Post by johns03272008 »

I have seen a decline in my running spots over the few years and this year seems no different.
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com

briarhopper

Post by briarhopper »

We have had a good year thus far, as far as staying in rabbits. In fact the past two years i have seen more rabbits. Its been pretty cold here and seems they sit real tight lately.

jpratt

Post by jpratt »

We still have good numbers here as well. They are a little further back in the brush but still there. It was 2 degrees this morning on my porch.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Here in east Tn. in the places I get to hunt and run I'd say they are down this year.I've got a 1,200 acre farm to run on and I'm the only beagler to hunt on it and rabbits have been hard to get up the past month.Last year we had plenty of rabbits there and what we killed wouldn't have hurt the population any.They did do a lot of clearing/bush hogging,burning on some areas of the farm which reduced some cover but there is still plenty.But the rabbits are scarce.
Got permission on another farm of 640 acres.Looks like it should be a rabbit hunter's paradise.Overgrown fields,big brierpatches,woods,thick hedgerows,several cultivated fields and some tumble down barns and old farm equipment.Sounds perfect right? Have been there three different times for 4 hours or so at a time and have jumped 6 rabbits and killed two of them. The dogs are hunting hard and run good when they get one up but hard to find.
There's a wildlife management area near me that I run on at least once a week.There's no hunting there as it's just for running beagles and bird dogs and for field trials, so you know that there's no hunting pressure.This is a nice piece of ground that should meet all of a cottontails needs yet I've found rabbits hard to come by there also.
I'd say all the places I go to around here have some rabbits and I can always get a run but I'd say there aren't a lot of them.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

Seen a big decline in rabbits around the 100 acre farm I live on. Haven't shot a rabbit off it in 2 year. I set me some traps and snares to see if I could catch any thang that would eat a rabbit. For two months ever time I went out and check my traps I would have a coyote or a fox the last snow we had here in london ky I haven't seen the first coyote or fox track.. I have seen a lot of rabbit trucks around the apples I've been feeding them. Maybe the coyotes and fox has moved in on every one else's hunting ground. One way to find out buy u some number 4 Duke traps and some snares and pick up a road kill deer and try it out!

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Have not been to my running grounds in a month! We have had lots of snow on ground since November and fluffy. We have gotten 14" since Tues. more on the way. I am hoping bobcat in the area do not clean me out. I was running in Oh. last week and seem to be ok numbers I do not think as many as last year but decent numbers.
Things better change here or we will be in big trouble if and when spring comes. We have 2 feet on ground now and more due this afternoon and 30-40mph winds.

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

HAVE SAW A BIG DECLINE N MY RUNNIN GROUNDS DONT HARVEST ANY RABBITS
BIGDOGPACE

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

We're north in Michigan, but rabbits have been tough here too. I don't think it's a decline, just the cold weather. They are out at night and hole up during the day. Really windy today and cold; not much point in going out. On my property, I don't stomp brush piles, and I have several. I don't see a lot of evidence of predators, tracks or rabbit parts either. The dogs can usually get a rabbit or two up, but they head right for a hole.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

J Martin

Post by J Martin »

My running grounds are on a 1100 acre farm, but only 50-60 acres are grown up fields. Extremely thick briars and several places you couldn't walk through if you wanted to. The dogs always manage to jump 1 or 2 atleast, but there just aren't as many as there were a 2 years ago. Seems like they're on a steady decline and it is not rabbit hunted. I've only seen 1 coyote in the 3 years that I've been running in this spot. And since we've had the cold temps the last week or two they have been much harder to find and sitting tighter. I know a some rabbits die each winter due to natural death, the cold, etc. How many do you guys think that is? I think I heard once 40% of the total population. That seems kinda high to me, but it may be true. I'm definitely looking forward to spring and warmer temps!
Jonathan Martin
Buffalo Branch Beagles

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

on the 100 acres I live on I have never seen a fox or coyote out in daylight till I trapped them I was surprised I trapped so many. it was in vary thick grown up thickets and tree tops. No way I could walk threw it the whole 100 acres is like this I do cut trails and plant clover. On the farm

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I would thin a 40% mortality rate would be kind of low. They have multiple litters because they are preyed on by everything: foxes, coyotes, mink, nest raiders, like raccoons, possums, and skunks, feral and house cats, dogs, and birds of prey. Add in those killed on the road, wet springs, disease and parasites. Hunted or not, they can't be stock piled for very long.

All those foxes and coyotes caught in many cases are just passing through, not necessarily all living on one farm.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

J Martin wrote:Just wondering if anyone has noticed a decline in their rabbit population at their running grounds since the first really cold spell we had here in Ky or surrounding areas? Also how many, or what percentage do you feel make it through the winter on a farm that doesnt get hunted any at all? It seems to me like rabbits have become harder to find the last couple weeks. Maybe they're just not sitting in their usual places due to this weather. I'm not sure, but lets hear some opinions on the subject.
I ran in kentucky last weekend and had a blast. Ran hard for nearly five hours. Had two real long races.

Osborne's Beagles

Post by Osborne's Beagles »

Haven't really saw much of a population drop where my father in law and myself hunt. It has become tougher because the cold temps are making the rabbits set tight. We went last Sunday though and had a blast. It was a little windy but the temperature was just right. The ground was thawing the whole hunt and it made scenting great. We had 9 nice races, saw 6 of the rabbits, and killed 3. Was one of the best hunts of the season as far as running wise. Couldn't get them out much this week because of the artic blast and snow we got. Season goes out this Friday (Jan. 31st). We have hunted hard, but I can't believe season is almost over. Time flies when you're having fun. :) I'm looking forward to running out of season as well. I have a female pup that has really impressed me over gun season. Can't wait to see how she progresses during the off season.

JCM

Post by JCM »

We had a real good population of rabbits this fall. This winter it has been great at times and not so good at other times. This weather has been so up and down with many windy days. I think this is why it varies day to day. The rabbits are still here, just spending the worst days holed up.