Breeding a female?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

wvdaniel

Breeding a female?

Post by wvdaniel »

Ok here is my question. I have a female in heat. I have a male that has the same blood line. I haven't had a chance to work with the male long. I have only had him a few weeks he hunts and works good but still needs work. With there pedigrees having a lot of the same blood and the female being really good. Is it ok to breed them? He is no field Champion but looks like will be a good dog

sammiller03

Re: Breeding a female?

Post by sammiller03 »

If I breed a female it's cause I want pups like her and the male I breed her to better be better than the female throwing pups that are better than I have. That's what I look for.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

wvdaniel, What do you mean by he still needs work, be specific . Also how old is the hound ? why did the previous owner get rid of him ? Sawmiller gave you some good advice, do not breed a dog just because it is in heat! ( this last piece of advice often falls on deaf ears when one has a female in heat and a male nearby that they are even remotely considering) Is the male you have the best one available in the bloodline you are talking about or just the most convenient? Something to think about!

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

Agreed there's no point in breeding unless you are trying to better your kennel.If your male is unproven you probably need to wait.A hound does not
have to have a title to be a great hound ;)
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

Crow

Post by Crow »

JUDE wrote:Agreed there's no point in breeding unless you are trying to better your kennel.If your male is unproven you probably need to wait.A hound does not
Best sentence on this board in regards to "great hounds".

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

In the past I tried to breed the weaknesses out of hounds, such a gamble!! DID NOT work out like I had hoped.

Had a few decent pups but not what I was after. Learning in years past has given me a new perspective.

If both hounds don't meet 90-95% of my criteria I simply wont breed them. You should be breeding to get better pups than there parents that only happens with a few, but increase your odds by breeding the best to the best. JMO.

Good luck!!!

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

JUDE wrote:Agreed there's no point in breeding unless you are trying to better your kennel.If your male is unproven you probably need to wait.A hound does not
+1 ;)
TheJohnBirchSociety

BM Orchard

Post by BM Orchard »

A wise man with very good dogs once told me, " breed a dog that you like to a dog that you like and odds are you will get a dog that you like!"
Last edited by BM Orchard on Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

I would never breed to an unproven dog male or female .
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Mr. Bowman

Post by Mr. Bowman »

never breed anything you dont want another of

Osborne's Beagles

Post by Osborne's Beagles »

BM Orchard wrote:A wise man with very good dogs once told me, " breed a dog that you like to a dog that you like and odds are you will get a dog that you like!"
Great advice.

I have never made a cross yet, but if I did. I would never make a cross based on the pedigree. If a dog (male or female) doesn't perform to my standards... I would never consider breeding it. It just doesn't make sense to breed a dog that won't run a rabbit just because it has a nice pedigree.

Just my opinion. I don't claim to be right or wrong. Take it as a grain of salt. :)

wvdaniel

Post by wvdaniel »

Ok the previous owner got out of beagling all together. He is a good hound and the female is a real good hound. I would not part with either one. He is a year and a half old. He can run a rabbit and does good. He barks in the kennel a little that is my main fault with him.