How would you handle this?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Whitey51

How would you handle this?

Post by Whitey51 »

I have a dog posted in the adult hound section of this board. I'm asking $300. I Live in MI and had a guy get ahold of me from KY; he said he wanted the dog but couldn't drive all the way to MI.
I still own a house in IN and told him that I could bring the dog to IN (7 hr drive for me) and he could meet me there.(1-1/2 drive for him) and check on it. I didn't have to make the trip. But need to make room in my kennel.
On Thursday I get a call from a guy in NY who said he had a buddy coming to MI and wanted my dog. I apologized, but explained I had arranged to take the dog to IN for a different guy to look at. I txted the guy in KY to confirm he was still interested in the dog; and told him about the guy in NY. I also stated if he didn't think he was serious, the guy in NY was. His response was "I'm a man of my word" I'll be there Sunday afternoon like we had planned. So Friday after work I drive to IN.

Well, late evening on Sat I txted to find out how he did hunting and make sure were still on for Sunday.

His response: at 8:21 Saturday night " We got 6. sorry to say I bought another dog today and won't be up to look at yours. I knw u brought him down for me to look at and I really like his look but I looked at one today I really like it so I purchase it. I didn't want to wait until tomorrow as another guy was looking at it and I would have lost th chance buy"

gwyoung

Re: How would you handle this?

Post by gwyoung »

Whitey, if you have learned this over the weekend let me give you some advice . Don't go out of your way to meet someone you don't know personally and/or that is not highly thought of and recommended by those who you do know, I wouldn't drive 10 miles to do so and I have been asked a lot to do it over the years! At any rate if it happened just as you said, he is a man of very low character, It isn't his first under- handed deal and it won't be his last. He owes you for half the cost of your trip , you bear the cost for the other half because by now you should have know better, and education is expensive and he just gave you some! Now, what can you do about it , Nothing! Call him tell him how you feel about it and what he owes you, but don't stand out by the mailbox waiting for the check! Oh, yeah and as far as a man telling you he is a man of his word, This or some variation of it is the number one " clincher" for a bad deal, crooks hardly ever tell you they are crooks, for some reason! Understand though that he was only going to "look" at your hound and you leaving with the hound could have still been the result whether he showed or not. He still owed you an honest look.
Last edited by gwyoung on Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mdbeagler

Post by mdbeagler »

Learned this lesson a long time ago. Have had a difinite buyer but kept my word to someone else who backed out.
If some one is serious about a dog or anything for that matter they will make a way to get to you or at least send
you some good faith money to prove their seriousness.

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

BEEN THIER AND HAD THAT DONE TO ME :angryfire: JUST ONCE AFTER THAT NEVER AGAIN. I AM WITH THE OTHER GUY UNLESS I NOW YOU. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN SORRY TO HERE THAT HE DID YOU LIKE THAT. I NOW I WOULD KEEP HIS NAME AND NUMBER :loser: AND TELL EVERY BODY WHAT HE DID AND MAKE SURE HIS NAME WAS GIVE OUT TO ALL.
WORD OF MOUTH CAN BE EVER LASTING

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

whitey run that dog on down to n.c. ill take him i guess make them come to u
BIGDOGPACE

Whitey51

Post by Whitey51 »

Lesson Definitely Learned!!! BTW the dog is still for sale. The guy in NY bought a different one Sun.

I thought about plastering his name and number all over, but not sure how that would help the situation. If anyone is interested, in his info PM me.

I did let a good friend of mine, who is also a KY ARHA State Rep know about it. He'll pass the word. I wouldn't think that's the kind of press a key member of new club would be wanting.

Hopefully a lesson is learned on the other end also.

Barry, I'd love to come south Its COLD here.

NorthBranch Rummer

Post by NorthBranch Rummer »

2 things that are never a waste of money is education and travel. You got both!!

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Glad there are good people out there to go out of their way to help others like you did, but it seems today's society is if you give them an inch they will go a mile. No respect anymore for their fellow man. Hate to hear that. Where is your house located?? If your close to me let me know when your down and we can go run.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

wildcatfan0309

Post by wildcatfan0309 »

Ive had multiple guys do me that way
I get money up front thru s money gram or I wont even hold a dog
Anymore!!
I liked to be good to people but most of em wont let ya!!

gunslinger

Post by gunslinger »

I think I would let everyone know who this man of his word was just for kicks and giggles, I sure hate to get stuck and then someone say I could have told you about him. :bomb:

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Sorry this happened to you Whitey.
It would be interesting whom this person is.

Ken, (a man from MO.) was up on the waiting list for a pup, and it was ready for pick-up in early Dec.
Between weather and other obligations, he could never make it up here. He offered several times to send money prior to the Dec. pick-up date, and offered extra for holding the pup but I told him he could pay me when he picked the pup up.
Eventually a dog hauler was to pick the pup up and Ken sent me the money (cash) through Walmart.
Well, the dog hauler kept postponing until Ken offered to pay to have the pup delivered.
He again sent the money (cash) through Walmart, my Mom is very ill and I couldn't make the trip, so my daughter and her boyfriend made the 9/10 hour trip to MO.
He was so appreciative for me holding the pup for him, he put my daughter and her boyfriend up in his newly remodeled rental home with a fridge full of food and beverage.

I had never met Ken other than on the phone and I did send the kids with weapons (you never know what could happen) and informed Ken as well.
There are good people out there, yes, he paid in advance but he also went out of his way to make my daughter and her boyfriend comfortable.

Ken, thanks again for treating my daughter and her boyfriend so well.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Have you put your hound on michigan sportsmen forum ?
TheJohnBirchSociety

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

Well I tell u how I learned my lesson I sold two dogs to a guy in Virginia 6 hours away from my house so he came plum to my house when I was gone and my x wife gave him the two dogs. The men for got to pay the wife or the wife for got to get thier money. I called these fine fellows for a week no answers. Little did they no I had a friend that new them .So I drove 6 hours and found my dogs walked out and cut the lock off the kennel picked my dogs up and left. Not heard the first word out of them two suckers and that's been over 4 years.. Lesson learned don't trust any one u don't no ppl will lie cheat and still to get what they want. It's just how it is

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Sorry for your situation. I can't harbor such a pessimistic view of people. I think most are decent. That doesn't mean I'll buy into "ship the pup and I'll put a check in the mail." I had a pup in for training but we have just been buried in snow and cold the last couple of weeks. I did some yard work with him and got him to a running pen a couple of times. We decided to postpone training until better weather. When he came to pick him up, he offered me the amount we agreed on. I told him to just wait until we get him going. I may get burned if he doesn't bring him back, but I don't feel that I upheld my end due to the weather. I would rather he tell people I wouldn't take his money than tell people I took his money but didn't do the job.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

johns03272008

Post by johns03272008 »

I would let everyone know who it is especially if that's how it went done, stop someone else from going through what you went through!! That's why new people to this sport fall off the map because of guys like that. They get a good screwing and then they don't want anything to do with people any more. I won't drive anywhere to meet anyone if I have something for sale. If they want it come and get it other wise its to the first person with cash in my hand unless you send me some hold money.
John Schelling
BORN AGAIN KENNELS

LET THE DOGS DO THE TALKING
www.bornagainkennels.weebly.com