Kennel silencers

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Lawsonsbeagles

Kennel silencers

Post by Lawsonsbeagles »

Just wondering if they have any affect on dogs in the field? Do they make dogs not want to bark in the field? Never used one but thinking about getting one.
Lawson's Beagles
Jeff Lawson

dhoundman

Re: Kennel silencers

Post by dhoundman »

MY FATHER KENNELED UP TWO 60 DOGS FOR A BUSINESS AND HE TRIED THEM AND NEVERED WORK.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

My cousin uses them on his hounds(bark collars)and they work. Dummy collars as some become collar wise and the live collar for those who need reminding from time to time, but he has some that have learned the kennel is not the place to be barking... :lol:

Myself, I can show enough "alpha" to get their attention for nonsense barking. I'm not to rough on them, as they enjoy greeting a new visitor to the kennel and I understand that. I've had people say, "they were barking like "***" when we came out, but now not a peep". I just laugh and say, "they've said their HELLO, now their listening to you"... :lol:

Kirby49

Post by Kirby49 »

I live in town and use bark collars with very good results very little barking

Lawsonsbeagles

Post by Lawsonsbeagles »

Does it affect them after you take them hunting? I guess what im asking is does it make them not wanna bark when running?
Lawson's Beagles
Jeff Lawson

Mhouse

Post by Mhouse »

No it does not change them in the field! I have used them with the same results from above. Depends on dogs about barking in the kennel, but I have never had a problem with them changing in the field. I have used bark collars and trash breaker collars in the kennel.
MEADOWWOOD'S BEAGLES

Lawsonsbeagles

Post by Lawsonsbeagles »

Thanks for the replies!
Lawson's Beagles
Jeff Lawson

transman63

Post by transman63 »

[quote="Mhouse"]No it does not change them in the field!
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Little Indian Creek

Post by Little Indian Creek »

dont waste your time and money on the ultrasonic silencers they do not work at all. The water and shocking both work well but they both have their issues aswell.
Kenny Lain
Little Indian Creek Kennels
AKC & NKC Beagles

rabbithunter5890

Post by rabbithunter5890 »

I have used them with good results, but I have had cheap ones that are terrible. A dog may not make a sound and it will shock them.

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

Several years ago I read a post about a bark activated water spray system that the writer said was very effective in keeping a kennel quiet. Is this still made and does anyone know if it works?

Mikka

Post by Mikka »

I have six dogs and while at home, they all wear a bark limiter from garmin, best investment ever. All I hear from their pen is faint growling or winning.
Does not affect them in the bush. When I get to the running grounds, I switch collars for the alpha and they make the difference between the collars and happily bark while hunting.
On one occasion I totally forgot to switch collars. They started hunting the barking started and died. Shortly after, I could see my dogs coming back with the their tails between their legs. Once I realized my mistake and removed the collars they were back hunting in no time. Shows you all that I am not much smarter than a beagle if I am....

Little Indian Creek

Post by Little Indian Creek »

Rowco Beagle Kennels wrote:Several years ago I read a post about a bark activated water spray system that the writer said was very effective in keeping a kennel quiet. Is this still made and does anyone know if it works?
The water ones work very well but have their issues. 1. They dont work in the winter. 2 Could cost your water bill to go up and 3. They can cause some molding on your kennel if you are not carefull. I could not find anybody that made them anymore so i made my own.
Kenny Lain
Little Indian Creek Kennels
AKC & NKC Beagles

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Nothing works better than yelling to offending barking hound "GET IN", if that hound dont keep quiet and "GET IN" a visit with a leather dog lead followed by ''GET IN'' usually works very well. Usually after 1 visit, for the stubborn ones a 2nd visit, they know what ''GET IN'' means. This method is very cost effective too. I know when i was young and impressionable a leather belt worked wonders on me for various reasons. JMO
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

PABeagler

Post by PABeagler »

How long do you leave the barking collars on the dog? Isn't there a limited number of hours they can wear them before causing irritation on their neck?