Predator control

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tbb37

Predator control

Post by tbb37 »

What bait works the best for raccoons and opossums? Im using a box trap and a cage trap that I bought?

warddog

Post by warddog »

I've had good luck catching coon, oppossum and house cats using sardines in live traps. I go to Big Lots or a cut rate grocery store and buy the cheapest brand I can find as they are usually the strong, smelly ones.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

just smear some peanutbutter on bread,,
you can take a kid out of the country, but you cant take the country out of a kid

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

For coons drill a hole in a log that goes over some creek and put a shiny button in it.

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

ive drilled holes in logs like that but i put 4 6penny nails around the hole and bent them in, then i stuck a piece of peppermint candy in the hole, the coon will put his hand in the hole to grab the candy when he pulls it out the nails will poke in his paw and he will just set there holding on to the candy,,,,,,,,,,,,,jeff
you can take a kid out of the country, but you cant take the country out of a kid

Bopeye

Post by Bopeye »

That's awesome Lonewolf!!

I've heard of the shiny button or coin in the bottom of the hole, but never heard of what you said. I learned something new. :)

Now tell me something, just between you and me........does it really work? ;)
Coyote problems? Can't fix it with western tactics. Here ya go. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/
You can find me and other Prostaff here. http://www.easterncoyotes.com/prostaff