Indoor Dog

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

sandcut beagles

Indoor Dog

Post by sandcut beagles »

What's everyone's opinion about keeping a hunting beagle indoors? I know from the old timers, especially coon hunters (like my grandpa), would say absolutely not. Would keeping him indoors hinder his ability to hunt? Don't get me wrong, I'm going to be working with him for a couple hours a day outside so he'll be having plenty of exercise and training. I guess my main question is that can I have a great hunting beagle that is a indoor family dog and can multitask say like go on walks without having him run off chasing rabbits like he is bred to do. For example, a good friend of mine has a gorgeous black lab that is a great family dog but also is great in waterfowl hunting and antler retrieving. Thanks for your guy's help.

Mhouse

Re: Indoor Dog

Post by Mhouse »

Absolutely! My dad used to say the same thing about our coon dogs when I was growing up. I have had beagles over twenty years now and the dogs and pups I have had in the house and my kids play with handle much better. We also take the dogs on walks regularly especially when I can't get them out hunting as often as I would like. I know several guys who keep their hunting dogs as house dogs as well. Good luck and happy running! Mike
MEADOWWOOD'S BEAGLES

tom summers

Post by tom summers »

Don't worry about it. The best rabbit dog I ever had spent the first yr of its life in the house.
It started faster , best nose , had most desire.
Handling is another subject she was by far the worst but that had nothing to do with being win house she was just stubborn.
Tom

briarhopper

Post by briarhopper »

I hunted with a guy that both his dogs were lapdogs and they pounded rabbits as good as any other...mine are all outside tho cus my wife doesnt like indoor pets

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

All my dogs live in the house. I have 6 beagles. I've had 4 champions and 1 grand champion. I also have 1 running walker in the house that runs yotes. We live as a pack and we hunt as a pack and I am the alpha male. My litters are born and raised in the house. They are born into my hands and training starts the day they are born.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I think beagles are better adapted to the cold when kept outside. Their coats grow thicker and maintain a sheek oily texture. They have a musty odor to them that I wouldn't care for in my living room.

That being said, mine are in large pet crates in basement because it's -5 with wind chill of -25 outside. Not exactly following my own logic, but they will go outside in morning until it drops to far below zero again....lol

I personally dont think hunt or handle is affected. That's a training/genetics issue, nothing to do with where they kennel.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

I have a fenced back yard. The dogs go outside when I leave the house and at night when I go to bed. I have never seen them affected by the cold. But it doesn't normally get that cold here. Currently 3 deg here. Keeping them in the house lets me spend more time with them. I am more in tune to them and they are more in tune to me. I know that not every one is able to do this. I wonder if this has any thing to do with me still being single at 54. lol
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

Hippy

Post by Hippy »

I have two what I call "Half-Breed" dogs Half rabbit /Half house. I work out of town during the week and my Better Half takes care of the dogs and she has her two favorites that she keeps indoors 24 -7.
They spend 4-6 hours outdoors daily in a enclosed area for exercise

The only issue I see is if they are not run up they gain weight BUT usually two good hard weekends of running they are back in physical shape IMO it makes them handle better and they seem to want to "Please" more as they are closer to companions than Just Dogs.

Both of them have ALL DAY Hunt and are not "Boot Lickers" and have better than average hunt--last time out with a HARD HUNTING male we jumped six rabbits the Half-Breeds Jumped 3 and I jumped one

Jim
"Today is the 1st DAY,of the rest of your Life"

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

I got two in the house as well. they lounge around the house all day, Right up until I grab my bag with all hunting collars in it. then they try to take the doors off the hinges to be the first one to the truck to go hunting. They certainly have a "switch" and they know when to flip it!
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady