lost the best pup I have ever raised

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

brad stewart

lost the best pup I have ever raised

Post by brad stewart »

Yotes killed my ky lucky male yesterday he was a great little pup and a family pet my wife and son are devasted he was doing so good he was my nine year old first beagle and he was really geting evolved I dont even no how im going to tell him
if they dont hunt they dont stay

brad stewart

Re: lost the best pup I have ever raised

Post by brad stewart »

How do you tell a young boy this happened he went out and ran him everyday almost were they have had alot of snow days he has been spending lots of time with him im lost hes gone with his papa right now so only me and my wife no hope he takes it ok any ideas how to tell him thanks

NorthBranch Rummer

Post by NorthBranch Rummer »

Dang man! that's a tough one!!

steveh

Post by steveh »

It will be hard no matter what you say. I have 4 with 1 being a house dog and that just makes it that much worse when something happens. Your son is going to have to know that when it comes to beagles there are things that happen when running rabbits, and its out of your control. Sorry about what you are going through, losing a pet always sucks. My only advise is to be honest and quick, and then sit back and help him through it.

Chimney Rock Kennel

Post by Chimney Rock Kennel »

I hate to hear it Brad its hard to lose them especially when you're kids have a relationship with them like you're son did. Like I told ya I got a few coming for stud fee and if he is ready then come on over and he can take his pick.
Home of

NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Bad Moon Rising
FCGD LPRCH Chimney Rock's KY Lucky
NrFC LPGRCH Chimney Rock's Shooting Star

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Tell him the truth and buy him a new pup sorry for your lost !
TheJohnBirchSociety

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

It'll be tough on the little guy.All you can do is be there for him to talk to while he works through it.I'm going to be having some pups about mid.March.If he wants one when they are ready,bring him over and we'll let him pick one out.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Brad, very sorry to hear this, for you and your son. I think sometimes it's tougher on us parents having to deal with our child's emotions than it is on the actual child, and having to see them when they are hurting is rough on us parents. It will hurt for a while but he will definitely bounce back, probably quicker than you do. Another pup won't stop the hurting only time will but the companionship of a new pup won't hurt. Good luck
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

brad stewart

Post by brad stewart »

thanks guys so much he well be home soon and we well have to break the bad news he would pick his bb gun up and the pup new he was going out with my boy I hope he doesn't loose interest he had been talking about wanting to trial him its hard when you get so close to one. Thanks travis and piolt knob hopefully my son well heal quick and steal want to be a houndsman with all the bad stuff that kids are into Im glad he lives the outdoors and running hounds so much

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Sorry to hear that. It will be tough. It might help if you can relay that he was doing what he was bred to do and loved doing. But it hurts even when you're an adult to lose a cherished dog. Just be there for him and get him out again as soon as possible.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

tdog

Post by tdog »

Sorry to hear that Brad.. I hate those dang yotes.. I have some close calls but have not lost one yet..

deerfield

Post by deerfield »

Brad a couple years ago my sons first coonhound got run off a tree by coyotes and ended up hit by a semi on the highway. I was working out of town and he worked with that pup everyday. Was the hardest thing to tell him what happened that next morning. He has since pursued trapping coyotes and bought a caller with his coonhides he hates them more than me.He has caught one in his traps and we are still trying to call one in for him. He is now running are Lucky male pup almost everyday.Mason is 12 now and that coonhound pups collar and pic are still on his wall. Im sure your boy will be fine just a little numb for a bit hope all goes a good a possible for you guys...

brad stewart

Post by brad stewart »

Thanks we had the talk and he said at least he was hunting and doing what he loved dad but it was hard on him and we plan on hunting a few yotes

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

NOW A GUY THAT WENT THREW SAME THING WITH HIS SON A IT TOOK YEARS BEFOR HE EVER HUNTED AGAIN BUT HE DID. HANG IN THIER. YOTIES ARE BAD WHERE I RUN SO I STARTED SETTING SNARIES. NOT TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO BUT I WOULD START SETTING SNARIES FOR EVERY YOTY THAT I COULD.

brad stewart

Post by brad stewart »

Ya my son said he wanted his revenge on the yotes so I guss im taking up a new hobby