Breeding dawgs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

didion419

Re: Breeding dawgs

Post by didion419 »

I agree wood not stand for that

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

didion419, If you have ever bought any type of bark collar or kennel silencer, or Thought about doing so The dog probably should be culled. I see on here quite often about someone wanting to know what works to silence their hounds in the kennel, The correct answer is cull them, but hey if any wants to put up with that crap and keep right on breeding that crap they deserve what they get! One more thing you have to be smart enough to know what is causing the barking, it isn't always hereditary but 99% of the time it is. Cull, cull and cull !

patchgirl

Post by patchgirl »

This is a great post. I just bred my first female and it's really interesting getting some insight into what reasons other people decide to breed. Personally, I have a very solid all around female. I found a male who was a proven reproducer of quality hounds and who's traits were strong in areas that my female was a little weaker. My plan is to keep a male out of this cross to potentially breed to another female I own that would double up on a very good bloodline. We will see how it pans out.
Sunny's Blue Moon Lola Daisy
Booman Reaume's Storm Chaser
WWB Run N Gun Paris

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Once I have desided on a stud I want to breed to and have seen him or direct off springs out him run. I take a trip to the kennel and see how he acts on the kennel. Funny story, I purchased a pup from Eddie Valentine (moss glen beagles in PA) a few years back. He told me his dogs were silent in the kennel. Wouldn't you know it, when I pulled up to his house the first time I though I had the wrong address because I did not hear a dog bark. Not a peep. Then he came out and took me behind the house were the kennels were. He had at least 8 beagles in the kennel and not one barked. That is impressive. If I had a beagle that could run a rabbit with out a check and never lost a rabbit and walked on water but he was a kennel barker.....guess what? I would cull him..,.. DH

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

I wonder how many of those who speak of hounds having " Brains" and what an attribute it is in the running of the game, Have nearly Beat, shocked, and drowned those hounds with "Brains" because they won't shut up in the kennel, Where are those " Brains" now! I always get a kick out of something like that, Guy talks about brains in his hounds and next thing you know he is asking about kennel silencing methods ! I get a laugh every time someone mentions Brains when discussing hound work!

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

gwyoung wrote:I wonder how many of those who speak of hounds having " Brains" and what an attribute it is in the running of the game, Have nearly Beat, shocked, and drowned those hounds with "Brains" because they won't shut up in the kennel, Where are those " Brains" now! I always get a kick out of something like that, Guy talks about brains in his hounds and next thing you know he is asking about kennel silencing methods ! I get a laugh every time someone mentions Brains when discussing hound work!
This is just a question, but why wouldn't brains be discussed when talking about hound work?
When youngens are growing up, do we not scold them when necessary and reward them when they do well?
Same as teaching them right from wrong. Therefore increasing there brain power.

Just as a young pup being praised for doing well, and diciplined for doing wrong.
Therefore increasing there brain power.

Yes, a hound must have brains when it comes to running. Some figure out when they need gear down, some never do. After a hound reaches a mature age if they have still not figured things like that out, that's when I say they lack in brains.
Every hound will run to its each own brain power level, it just depends on the owners brain power to figure it out if they got it or not.
BONE BOX BEAGLES