Breeding dawgs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Lone Pine Beagles

Breeding dawgs

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

The board looks a little dead tonight. Thought I'd try to stir up some chatter.

**Question to those that breed beagles:

What is your plan when you make a breeding?
Do you think of future crosses?
Out cross / line breed ??
Last edited by Lone Pine Beagles on Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwyoung

Re: Breeding dawgs

Post by gwyoung »

Pups!

shawnfrazier

Post by shawnfrazier »

Well I'm yet to make a cross hope to this year but I would hope to make well rounded dogs good hunt desire line control and good enough speed to keep em moving I have not breed yet because I have been waiting for the right dogs I believe I have the male and I am trying to decide if the female has the right stuff

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

When I decide to breed, I make sure I have a female worth breeding.
(If she's not worth breeding she wont stay for long)
The female should not have any serious faults. Both physical and in running /hunting ability.
She should be able to jump her own rabbit and circle it back to the gun.
No shyness or kennel barking either!

I've had the same bitch line for 17 years totaling 7 generations.
Some crosses I breed for females, and some for males.
I line breed every other generation.
The opposite generations are out crossed to add something new.
I keep female pups from the line bred litters, and male pups from the out crossed.
When a female is to be line bred I then look at my pool of out crossed males to choose a mate.
Better yet, people that bought dogs from me and raised pups add more selections to the mix.

Here's the kicker, I've only kept 1 dog that died of old age.
The young males are sold after I figure out how they're going to turn out.
Hopefully they are bought by someone that doesn't live too far away! (future studs)
The best females are bred once or twice and then sold to people wanting a running dog.
This way I'm not feeding 25 dogs but I have access to that many or more.

Currently I have 3 adult dogs and 3 pups from generation 7 "out cross".
Its working so far, but can be fun and frustrating at the same time.
The ultimate reward is getting consistency in your litters and being happy with their performance!
;)
I

Big_kang_beagles

Post by Big_kang_beagles »

I put two hounds together for breeding last weekend. With the pups from this litter I'm hoping to get pups that start running at about 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 months old, so that I may evaluate them some before gun season. Definitely won't rush them, but some may get a .410 shot over them from a distance, and then eased into it......

I hope they have good foot speed, line control, good ( hopefully some excellent) nose, brains, and good (hopefully some excellent) hunt.

My 14 year old son is really getting into hunting and has successfully started all our pups over the past couple years. He's a tough judge, but they will get plenty opportunity to flourish.

--------------------Reggie (Turbo)
----------Sire
------------------- Perry's pepper (Turbo)
---pups
--------------------KY beagles Major McGee (Syris)
---------Dam
--------------------Goodtimes Smooth Katie(Soups Superman)

First time breeding, so we will keep our fingers crossed.

shawnfrazier

Post by shawnfrazier »

Can I ask what your line is I'm a bit new into the bloodline stuff I've ran beagles since I was a pup and love a good dog great to watch I get frustrated by people who pump out junk and I'm interested in what line make the best hunting dogs

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Freaks of Nature

When I make a cross I want every dog in the litter to have that domination factor.
Last edited by Casey Harner on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

what would better my kennel. ..if that's not the goal ,then we should not be doing it . what can I add to my kennel with this cross or that .. what do I need? more hunt. more nose. more speed .less speed more line...what cross would help me get that.....that's whats in my mind
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

I am looking to get pups that are silent in the kennel. Nothing worse then a dog with no brains that barks all day, and of course that can run a rabbit. When I say run a rabbit I mean jump a rabbit and run a rabbit here in the North/East in winter. Thats it!!!! What else do I need?.....DH

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

I don t have any dogs now,daddy past away two year ago, and two months later put mon in the rest home.But one of the best cross I ever made was to and reg beagle(wright Line Ozzie) that a man try to get it to run deer and it would not.He ran beagles on deer and the male beagle was a little two slow for me running a rabbit.So I said what the hack I try it.Hade two females that came in at the same time that were the same way no deer,I cannot remember how many pups were born but I do know they were 5 females in the two.sold all the males and one female so I had 4 female.The last female die last year at 15 years old.In all them years of rabbit hunting they never ran nothing but rabbits.Luck maybe, but if I was to breed now I will try my best to do what I done 15 years ago.They were such a pleasure to hunt over.In all the years of breeding this and that this was my best. I do know that them 4 females teach me a lot about what a beagle can do.I miss them dogs.Thanks

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Lone pine, now that you have added some more to your question I will add some to my answer! I am always thinking about the future, beginning with the litter at hand, which means I am looking for them to be good hounds , Deerhost, summed it up pretty well, since it was mentioned don't breed kennel barkers, I know this will fall on many sets of deaf ears , Kennel barking is a trait that you will set quite easily. Some will over look kennel barking if they have a good dog,I will let some in on something, you don't have a good dog if it is a kennel barker, Cull it !

Newt

Post by Newt »

Lone Pine Beagles wrote: Here's the kicker, I've only kept 1 dog that died of old age.
The young males are sold after I figure out how they're going to turn out.
Hopefully they are bought by someone that doesn't live too far away! (future studs)
The best females are bred once or twice and then sold to people wanting a running dog.
This way I'm not feeding 25 dogs but I have access to that many or more.
I
Lonepine, I do much the same. I've sold several males whose new owner never registers the dog. I register them in my name, with their permission, and use the dog for stud. This way I know the dog's capabilities, I don't have to drive long distance to breed, and I know the dog works in my area.

hlane

Post by hlane »

I agree with the kennel barker thing they should not be bred. i will not and cannot tolerate it . i have had some strains
that were so bad they learned how to make noise with a bark collar on.and got sent down the road
Hammer Lane Kennels

didion419

Post by didion419 »

When you guys say no barking do you mean for no reason or hardly any at all when the yotes start howling at night I have to yell out the window 1 time and they quit probably scares the yote off too

hlane

Post by hlane »

Yes im talking about dogs that just bark constantly for no reason and wont shut up! to me that is a fault.
Hammer Lane Kennels