First litter questions

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

shawnfrazier

First litter questions

Post by shawnfrazier »

My female will be having her first litter I'm new to it she got breed by my male I wasn't planning it but any advice on nutrition and right after pups are born I have about 2 weeks to be ready I took the divider down in her box so there's room for them

sammiller03

Re: First litter questions

Post by sammiller03 »

prob going to need to get some heat for the pups its still going to be pretty cold in two weeks. Im having a litter in about a month and planning on having her inside with extra heat. I keep it about 80 for the first two weeks then back it off. i worm at 40 days and continue with flea and tick control to make sure the female is parasite free. some people switch the female over to puppy food but i leave her on 26/20 feed and have never had an issue. I worm at 2,4,6,and 8 weeks with panacure and give first shot at 7 weeks . I cut off dew claws at two days old. hope this helps.

sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

shawnfrazier

Post by shawnfrazier »

How do you cut them scissors

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

Small side cutters.
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Buy some Tums Ultra Strength 1000, give your female 1a day until she the pups. The calcium will help with contractions. My vet told me to do this about 15 years ago and it really does help.

Good luck

Reddog

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

I give my females calf powered milk after they have pups.Just grab about a tablespoon or two and sprinkle it over their food.Shake it around some and it will stick to it.It really helps them produce a lot of strong milk and not get pulled down from nursing.When the pups get big enough to eat I give it to them also.They get stout on it.

shawnfrazier

Post by shawnfrazier »

I was also wondering she is due for her vaccination should I wait till pups are off her or does it not matter

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

How old is she

shawnfrazier

Post by shawnfrazier »

Year and a half but I got her late so her shots are a little off she should get her rabbis and 7 way next week on schedule

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

In all things medical I check with my vet. I know a lot of beaglers self-medicate their dogs but I just don't have the experience. I've also had my vet find things in a routine exam that I would have missed. My philosophy has always been better to look foolish or ask dumb questions than be sorry later.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

reddog1 wrote:Buy some Tums Ultra Strength 1000, give your female 1a day until she the pups. The calcium will help with contractions. My vet told me to do this about 15 years ago and it really does help.

Good luck

Reddog
Good info chuck im going to give it a try.

thanks

sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I guess it's been more than 15 years, but back in the mid 90's I had a bitch that had trouble with her first 2 litters. My vet told me to start giving her the Tums with extra calcium after I bred her,she never had a problem after that. Now it's always done here at my kennel.

Reddog

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Ask your vet on the shots since she is so close to littering. I think my vet told me to wait until after pups were weaned. My vet told me to put some gravy train in her food and give her plenty AFTER birth so she would eat alot of food and produce lots of milk. Sound advice worked well for me. Walmart sells big cans for 86 cents. I just mix it in her food. Good luck on your pups and remember don't feed your female free choice before birth as all that food goes right to the pups and they will have higher birth weight, resulting in a tougher labor for your female.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)