Red Mange

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

lananbay

Red Mange

Post by lananbay »

I have a great male from my kennel about 1 year old I would love to breed a couple of my females to him. However he has had 2 cases of Red Mange since he was born. both times were light cured cases .i know common sense the vets etc say should not breed a dog with red mange it will pass along to there pops.

Has anyone been in a choice like this before with a good female or male and proceeded with the breeding with chance the pups would be fine? How did the breeding turn out?
I know the opposite choice for breeding would have to no history of red mange.
Thanks for any info.
Destry Lopez
LANAN BAY KENNELS

Hunting hounds by RANGER DAN & BLUE NINJA

Bigboy kennel

Re: Red Mange

Post by Bigboy kennel »

There are people that do. I would not take that the chance.
Phil Walls Jr

MasonKane Kennels

Post by MasonKane Kennels »

From what I understand about red mange AKA demodex mange. It's caused by a microscopic mite that is passed from mother to pup. I don't believe it is passed on from the father. After a couple weeks old a pups immune system is strong enough to fight it off. So if daddy was not going to be cuddling with the pups and mommy doesn't have it I don't think the pups would get it.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

I had a dog long time ago he had that or vet said he did ...wanted me to put him down. I didn't called a hunting friend he told me to dose the dog with ivomec..1 cc per day for a week I did it helped but came back so I did 1/2 cc for 2 weeks went away came back after running real hard. so for about 2 months he was given 1/2 cc almost everyday I think I forgot a couple days lol. cured him right up never had a problem I never bred him but sold him and they loved him I am sure they probably bred him to something never heard anything bad.
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

warddog

Post by warddog »

Demodicosis is the infection or inflammation in dogs caused by the demodex or Red mange mite. The mites are thought to be present on all dogs but the problem exist when the dogs genetics does NOT contain the ability to defend against the mites causing an infection. The vast majority of dogs have an immunity to the infection caused by the mites but some lines lack the immunity ability. Demodicosis itself is NOT hereditary but what is hereditary is the inability of the immune system to ward off the infection that is caused by the demodex mites. This infection is found in puppies that get infected by their mothers prior to them building up the immunity and in most cases will run it's course and the dog will grow out of it. Those that get it again or at a later age are probably the ones that lack the immunity ability in their heredity. This is why there is the opinion that they should not be bred. If this dog has had two mild cases of it in a years time that was cured quickly and easily, I would look at the time lines of how far apart they were and at what situations may have stressed the dog to open it to susceptibility for the infection to take hold. In my eyes this would be no different than a person coming down with a cold, the flu or a case of food poisoning. Most of us have the ability to ward off these infections but when our immune systems get lowered for what ever reason we come in contact with the vehicle for such infections and we get it. If this dog were of superior ability then I would not eliminate him from breeding BUT I would be pretty watchful of the female lines history for demodicosis. If this male comes from a top line and this is a hereditary trait for lack of some immunity gene then evidently it has been overlooked previously. I have watched your posts for dogs for sale as most of them are the same line as I have had for years and I have never had a case of red mange.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

You have to think, down the road do I want to put up with this or have others having the same problem from my breeding?

On a male it's quick and easy to fix, banned him and be done with it. It is a weak immune problem, don't propagate it within the breeding. Same with cherry eye, cut it out if you like, but ban the hounds involved so it's not spread within the family. Your destroying the whole family by letting these things pass within the breeding, it becomes hard or impossible to go back an find were these things originated to stay away from it.
It's gotten to where if I see certain kennels names within a pedigree I won't consider using hounds from the breeding because I can't trust things to be kept right.
There are to many good hound out there available to use, instead of these culls that only serve to destroy the work of others and yourself.

When ever your evaluating a hound, ask your self, "would I want a whole pack like this one?"

lananbay

Post by lananbay »

Thanks wardog
Destry Lopez
LANAN BAY KENNELS

Hunting hounds by RANGER DAN & BLUE NINJA

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

I think most vets would highly recommend not breeding the male , it's siblings or the female he came from.I would have
to agree and recommend not passing the problem to the next generation.
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

Bigboy kennel

Post by Bigboy kennel »

I brought pup with the plans of making s outcross. Those plans are done. He has red mange. Talked to a few guys they told me it came for the sire side. All I know he will never be breed in my kennel.
Phil Walls Jr

Dan R

Post by Dan R »

Wardog and Patch are right on. This is a question of will this better the breed. I can say not in respect to the future health of your generations. Just think if you sold a litter and they all had it. I would guess a few people would not be happy.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I have worked with veterinarians my entire career and you will find that they seem to disagree on ALOT of issues. Some of concern is whether it is necessary to vaccinate your dogs annually after they have ran through the initial series to build up immunity. Another one is the testing for brucellosis and many say they have not seen a single case in dogs for years and even brucellosis in cattle isn't as prevalent as it once was. I like to try to get things down to the root cause of an issue and this one appears to be the individual dogs inability to ward off a reaction to the bites of the mites which normally occurs when they are pups before their immunity has built up and at a later time when their immune system has been weaken through stress or another sickness. I will venture to say that there are probably many, many hounds that have had immune systems that could not have fought off such infections or other infections if the circumstances were ripe for them to do so. I'm certainly not advocating breeding hounds with obvious definite health issues but rather merely saying that not one shoe fits all and getting to the root cause as well as the research of the ancestry may very well reveal that one specific case may not be the norm. A demodex mite is as common in the dog environment as salmonella is in the human environment and neither one causes many problems UNTIL the circumstances are ideal for them to cause an inflammation such as Demodicosis or Salmonellosis. Most of the time these things become issues when dogs and or people are in a high risk group such as the very young, the old, sick, run down, pregnant or otherwise immune compromised fro what ever reason. I wouldn't say that a person that has had a couple mild cases of Salmonellosis would be susceptible to passing that through heredity and if so there would be a bunch of us in trouble as we have ALL probably had many mild cases of it throughout our lives and didn't even know it and probably blamed it on a little touch of the flu.