Take your time.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitearl

Take your time.

Post by rabbitearl »

You know I guess when you get older you look at things a little different.I went to a place today were I first rabbit hunt with dogs and just look at thing around the place and got back in the truck and begain to tear up a little and thank god for giving me this place to hunt.The old tree is still there the young trees are getting bigger,the old path is still there and even the old grave yard is there right were I kill that rabbit many many years ago.Theres been a lot of people that has past away in that time even the old man ottis that took me hunting with his dogs.I can see old ottis now with them rabbits tide around his string around his body with blood dripping down his legs.The beagles he had and that old mix up bird dog finding rabbits like he could.If I could just go back in time and slow down to just look around and just give thanks.So all of yall young men out there just be thankful you can hunt and look at what god has giving you.It really don t matter what kind of beagles you have just injoy life.Take your time and look around.It want be long it will be old.

Casey Harner

Re: Take your time.

Post by Casey Harner »

Never take anything for granted...
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

rabbitearl;

Very well said. A pine plantation my dad and uncles hunted and let me tag along has grown up and been replaced twice in the 50-plus years since I was a kid. I remember Queenie and Brownie and the big log pile every rabbit ran for when jumped. I have a small creek I learned to fish for trout that is my going-back-to-place, at least in my mind. I haven't fished it in nearly 50 years; I know it has changed. But when I close my eyes it's still there with all the sights, sounds and smell of violets and the memory of a young boy who passed that way years before.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

dhoundman

Post by dhoundman »

awsome store thier buddy need more of them

steveh

Post by steveh »

Great post and very well said. As my 18 yo son is trying to figure out what to do with his life now and kinda dragging his feet. I told him "you are going to wake up tomorrow, 30 years old a couple of kids, wife and mortgage. It happens that fast." He looked at me oddly but I think he understood.

NCSportsman

Post by NCSportsman »

My brother flew in from California last year to rabbit hunt with my Dad & I on the last day of the season.

He hasn't been hunting in 20 years. We hit our old "hot spot" from when we were kids and ran and killed 5 bunnies.

The cover was a little different due to trees growing taller, but the overall feel of the spot was still there.

Brought back lots of memories and added a new one!

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Very nice post rabbitearl.
Made me stop and think of yesteryear and the people I have run hounds with, especially the ones that have passed.

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Nice story the country was better back then ! :cry:
TheJohnBirchSociety

NC rabbit hunter

Post by NC rabbit hunter »

Yep most of my beginning years lands are now trailer parks or fields!! I sure miss them.
We Hunt And Recommend Bluetick Beagles!!!

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

Rabbit Earl, Your post made me nostalgic. When I was about 8 years old, we had one of those beautiful southern snows, real fluffy and about 5 inches deep. That morning Daddy (the original ROWCO) took us rabbit tracking. That was one of his favorite things to do although many years we did not have a snow we could track in. Daddy was tracking a rabbit behind our house and my brother Lindsay and I were following single file. Daddy turned to Lindsay and asked why are you taking such big steps. In child-like innocence, Lindsay said, "Daddy, I am just trying to step in your footsteps." Bobby (ROWCO)