Put them deer running dogs under the dirt

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dhoundman

Put them deer running dogs under the dirt

Post by dhoundman »

crazy i think :!: :!: but i have seen alot of time guys go out with six dogs and come back with three dogs and three collars. i ask what happen :?: :?: They reply ^#@(&*^ :mad2: deer runns i don't feed them. I didn't understand it :roll: After all the dogs where running why not try to teach them not to run deer. looking back seems like that is all i been really doing every sences getting a dog teach it to run rabbit and then get another and another . I think that is what i like most about beagle is the training of them them. Shock collars where the greatest break through that ever happen in my time of training beagles. :) :)
Any body else like training dogs from running trash :?: :?: :?:

rabbitatfarm

Re: Put them deer running dogs under the dirt

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Call me whimp, but I'd have a hard time shooting a dog--even a deer runner. If I couldn't break him, I'd try to find a home for a pet. I enjoy training puppies and as a friend told me if you keep them running rabbits they are less likely to run trash. He says when dogs get bored from not finding game the get into mischief. My dogs have never taken a track but they have never had a deer jump up in front of them either. That's one reason I use a GPS collar and they don't go afield without a shock collar either, except at field trials.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

NorthBranch Rummer

Post by NorthBranch Rummer »

These dogs were bred to chase, period! It's up to us to teach them what we want them to pursue. There are exceptions to everything but most dogs being shot for running deer are the results of a poor handler. That being said, If they don't run deer how the heck do guys get them in shape?????LOL

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

It is highly unlikely that I would keep a pup that I had to shock off deer more than twice, Once is often enough, and I have had a few that were trash proof , these actually are the ones that concern me the most , but after awhile they come to be trusted. I did say pup this is where the breaking begins and ends, I can't recall having a deer chase for decades , And I don't mind if you bring your deer runners to run with my hounds, like I tell others that hunt with me, you bring a deer runner you had better also bring your own truck because I am not waiting around at the end of the day on Deer runners! Some bloodlines are more prone to run deer than others but the secret is to never let them run the first one, while making sure they get to run rabbits on a regular basis, during this breaking/learning phase. Once broke they do not have to run rabbits on a regular basis to keep them off deer as some think ,if this is so, they are not broke and never were!
Last edited by gwyoung on Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

Good post GW,I'm old enough to remember what it was like trying to keep a honest pack of hounds without E-collars.And all the things we would do to try to break them once they got to liking running trash.You nailed the key(don't ever let them do it the first time)I have often wondered how many hounds have been saved by E-Collars.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

There's a lot of reasons other than just deer runners to come back with a extra collar or two but yes, those systems have probably saved a lot of hounds. I know i come back with a lot less dogless collars than i used to. You were right-on GW.
gwyoung wrote:And I don't mind if you bring your deer runners to run with my hounds, like I tell others that hunt with me, you bring a deer runner you had better also bring your own truck because I am not waiting around at the end of the day on Deer runners!
:lol:
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Ever year I will have two or three guys looking beagles to run deer.So don t cull somebody out there is looking one.

PREACHERS KENNEL

Post by PREACHERS KENNEL »

I rarely have a deer run but sometime pups will do that,,the ones that were the hardest to break having to shocki them 10 times or so ..beat them screamed at them lol. made super tattle tales once broke ..worth the deal but sure is frustrating when it happens..

shoot them?? that's crazy ..all dogs can be broke ..you just gotta be more hard headed than they are. keep shocking ...
ACTS 2:38=repent,baptised in the name of jesus christ,receive the holy ghost!

Skip

Post by Skip »

Good post gw...I agree with your thoughts. Especially on not needing to correct a dog much more than twice

Two other thoughts:

1...a hound who will not start a deer race is one thing...a hound who will turn down a deer race when another dogs starts one is truly deer broke.

2...I feel like if I start with a well bred dog as a pup, I can correct most faults and at the very least, make a rabbit dog out of him. About the only fault I do not tolerate is a dog who will run away when being corrected with the shock collar. I will not waste any time with a dog like this

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Bottom line is that the trainer must be smarter than the dog.It serves no purpose to shock a dog if he has no idea what you are shocking him for.
The dog must first know what the word"NO" means and I also demand that he knows what "come or here or down" means.If he knows those commands and has been taught that there are consequences if he doesn't obey, your battle of trash running will become much easier.
Many times I have seen guys shocking the fire out of a dog because he won't handle but the truth is they've never put in any time making him handle.I knew one fellow that had a pack of pretty good rabbit dogs--------except they weren't broke off trash.He went out and bought a Tri-Tronics 6 dog unit and strapped one on every dog in his pack.He now could stop his deer races but he never got his dogs "broke" and had an on-going stuggle with this problem.
I agree that the best way of having a broke dog is to keep him from getting started in the first place.Keep him on rabbits,rabbits and more rabbits.As GW mentioned,usually once or twice and maybe three occasions of shocking a young dog off trash and if they've got the kind of brains i want to see in my dogs they should have got the message.I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time on a confirmed trash runner.I just can't stand it.
I know of a kennel here in Tn. that for many years have had some pretty outstanding dogs.If they have a dog that runs a deer even one time he's gone.They get rid of him.I think that's over reacting.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

I've never shot a dog that has ran off game nor do I plan on it. Cruel to shoot a dog because you fail as a trainer and handler.

Lone Pine Beagles

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

That young hound that runs deer and runs them right... might be a diamond in the rough!
The young hound that has no hunt, back tracks, and barks in the kennel...would be a good one to sell on-line! lol
:dance:

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Good info ShadyGrove. That's what I been trying to say about shock collars. I ve seen so many that go out and buy the e collars and now think everything going to be find now.Some don t even call there dogs out now.They just mash a button.

hogbody

Post by hogbody »

bigcfromrbc wrote:I've never shot a dog that has ran off game nor do I plan on it. Cruel to shoot a dog because you fail as a trainer and handler.
most shooters are like wife beaters, low self esteem, makes them feel tough, like to brag about it.
I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and the dogs and me.

hogbody

Post by hogbody »

Lone Pine Beagles wrote:That young hound that runs deer and runs them right... might be a diamond in the rough!
The young hound that has no hunt, back tracks, and barks in the kennel...would be a good one to sell on-line! lol
:dance:
Very good point!
I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and the dogs and me.