Another type of packing ????

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

steveh

Another type of packing ????

Post by steveh »

I have an 18 month old female. She has no problem jumping, running, checking, doing anything when it comes to rabbit hunting. When I take her with my other 3 hounds she leads the pack. I take her and 2 of my other ones with my buddys (he usually brings 3) she shuts down. She will hunt on her own but not join in. Its almost like she is afraid to leave me, and she has been with his dogs her entire life 1-3 times a week so its not that she doesn't know them. My buddy says she just needs more solo time to gain confidence and take ownership of her jumps/packing.

Like I said, she is on her way to being the perfect hound when its just us. Any ideas?

chop505

Re: Another type of packing ????

Post by chop505 »

I don't think soloing a dog that's nor wanting to pack up is the answer but that's just me

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Only explanation I can think of is that maybe one of his dogs got into a fight with your female and she is nervous to be around them.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

pilotknob

Post by pilotknob »

She may not like the pressure of a larger pack.Can she run and hold the front when he has his dogs are down with yours?

swing

Post by swing »

Here's something you might try, send her home with your buddy a night or two and let her get comfortable with his dogs, might not work but I bet it will.
Trent

No one plans to Fail, they fail to Plan

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

The next time your run with your buddy you may try turning your dogs loose first and once they get a rabbit up and start running then turn his dogs loose one at a time and see if that helps. jmo
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

steveh

Post by steveh »

Chop, the idea is mabey to get her confidence up by soloing her. I want her to take ownership no matter what dog is on the ground.

Casey, I dont believe there has been any fight. These dogs have all grown up with each other and in the fence she goes up to them all, and they all get along. Not saying it didnt happen just doesnt seem to be.

Pilot, she solo's and runs the front when with my other 3. Once with the others, its like she doesnt want to seperate from me. She is a house pet.

Swing, she would have a fit if she didnt have her couch and blanket for a night. Did i mention she also lays on a pillow. Yea, she is spoiled but she does have tons of hunt and like I said she is the ideal beagle just has this hangup. She has been socialized with all the dogs since she was a puppy.

Stavemill, we were thinking of trying this. Each week I would grab one of his dogs to stay with me. Let them 2 run together every day for a few days then switch to a different dog. Less dogs less pressure maybe.

All good ideas, Even though I get irritated with her for doing this she isnt going anywhere now so I might as well get it figured out. Thanks

Donnie Durbin

Post by Donnie Durbin »

Put her on a leash and make her honor. If that don't work put her back in the box and make her listen, let her out, if she doesn't honor, put her back in the box.
Last edited by Donnie Durbin on Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chop505

Post by chop505 »

Steveh I had a problem very similar to yours with one of my beagles at the time I got her she was the only dog I had and when I ran her it was solo. Hunting season comes around go to hunt with my buddies dog does not go in and would not pack if she started a rabbit she would run it till other dogs harked in then she would drop out of the race. I finally sent her to a man that condition dogs and told her to run her with as many different dogs as he could. After 2 months of running with different dogs almost on a daily basis she finally came around. There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind if I would've soloed this dog more it would have done nothing to make her want to pack up. This was one dog and one situation not saying are all the same just my experience

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Lots of good advice. I think instead of going over to your buddy's for a stay though, you should bring a couple of his dogs to your place for a couple weeks or more. Just swap him for a couple of your dogs if u don't have space. Then try running her w/ just one of your buddies dogs w/ your pack, and gradually add in more dogs on future outings. This may work, it may not. Some dogs just have some ingrained weird quirks that don't have anything to do w/ a stressful event. I've had dogs exhibit the same behavior. They didn't stay here.