Can you tell.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rabbitearl

Can you tell.

Post by rabbitearl »

Some say they can tell if there beagles have jump and you did not see what they jump but can tell right off the bat that its a rabbit or deer. I never could.In the past when I had some that would run trash the only way I could tell was someone seen it or the dogs were gone.How can you tell?

sgc

Re: Can you tell.

Post by sgc »

I had dogs I could tell the differrence between a rabbit & a pheasant from how they tongued.

kbasler1s

Post by kbasler1s »

Unfortunately i can answer this... It all depends on knowing your dogs and how they run. For ex mine when they have jumped a deer typically their running with their heads up and not doing much senting. I run a medium to medium slow speed dog if its a deer they jump they will be running like a bat out of hell and you can forget about checks. This a good question to want an answer on since you dont know yourself means you don't have this problem...congrats

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Now with GPS it's pretty easy. If they are rolling out there 2000 yards, it's probably not a rabbit! I also look at the habitat. Big open woods, probably a deer. Thick brush more likely a rabbit. No guarantee but ....
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

bigcfromrbc

Post by bigcfromrbc »

Also watch if they circle. If not its a deer. No break downs mean a deer as well.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Kbasler 1s, I can assure you that rabbitearl does not have this problem, as far as I know he would be the mostly unlikely on this board to encounter this problem!

Newt

Post by Newt »

If dogs never get out of a trot its difficult to judge what they are running. Many deer, if not threatened will run small circles similar to a big cunning cottontails. Usually though a rabbit will cause some breakdowns by back tracking. Deer and fox will run straighter for longer periods of time.
Some days the scenting conditions are so good they run it like a deer. I've been fooled several times by cottontails that make big circles into believing they were running a fox or deer.

stavemillbeagles

Post by stavemillbeagles »

gwyoung wrote:Kbasler 1s, I can assure you that rabbitearl does not have this problem, as far as I know he would be the mostly unlikely on this board to encounter this problem!
does rabbitearl own any dogs right now?
Chris & Yum Yum Wells
http://huntingbeagle.gotop100.com/out.php?id=431

Haters Motivate Me!!

kbasler1s

Post by kbasler1s »

Thanks gw for pointing this out to me so clearly. I did not say at any point his dogs run deer. Thanks for your concern.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

That's true GW.No I don t have any dogs in the last three years.But when I did, not the last pack of dogs, but I just could not tell.Now why is this about me. Stavemillbeagles I left your board on rabbit dog net because you were so rude and bully on there.So please leave me alone on this board.Why come you two could not come up with just a reply about the ? like the rest.Some people are so rude.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

kbasler1s, Maybe I am taking your post wrong but I didn't say you said that earl's dogs ran deer, did I ? So I don't know what you are talking about, do you? Most knew what I was talking about you obviously didn't, and somehow you came up with the far-fetched idea that I said that you said earl,s dogs ran deer, My only concern is that you would read my posts and then pull something out of the air that I did not say nor imply, as you have done. But I will tell you something earl did say his dogs run deer at some point, didn't he. earl no -one picking on you, you posted something on an open forum, You put yourself out there earl, I don't think anyone was ripping you up, as a matter of fact no-one has said anything about you that you haven't said of yourself. You try to make it as though we are picking on poor little earl. no one is picking on you earl. all that was being said or implied is that you don't own hounds, if the truth hurts you that much, and you are that sensitive to the truth I really don't know what to tell you!

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

leave me out of it GW and look at the ????.REPLY to the ?? That's ALL.I notice on a lot of other post.Your real good at not reply to the ? but trying to put somebody eles down.I reckon you cannot tell.

NCSportsman

Post by NCSportsman »

It's been a few years since my dogs ran a deer, but the few times when they were younger, I could hear that their bark was different.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

earl, Just about every thread takes twists and turns, we all Including you respond to other posters on a thread instead of the original poster, if you do not like this too bad, you will have to ask that none reply to any other poster or question but you and yours and the one at hand when making your threads, Good luck with that and I will be watching in the future that you do likewise, because it is only right, if you are asking it of others, so ask from now on, being a forum I doubt if many will comply. Once again no-one is picking on you earl, and if I am putting you down by saying you don't own dogs , remember that you don't and you were the first one to say so, what are you looking for earl a pity party? Earl, I have answered far more questions on here than you ever will. So earl how about just answering my question , Where did I put you down? Looking for pity party earl, even if you have to make things up, that is the Earl I have come to know! I simply said you don't have any dogs and you don't but somehow the truth offends you, I would expect no less from you earl ! And as far as your question, I have no doubt that you can't tell when a dog is running trash, ( you said it earl not me) I am being honest here earl and answering your question ( but you won't like the answer and so will probably ask for another pity party instead of accepting the answer, ) My answer is I have never even ran with a kid who could not tell the difference between a fox, bobcat, or deer and a rabbit chase. I personally don't know anyone who can't tell the difference between a Hare and a rabbit where their ranges overlap! I don't have the time nor the inclination to educate you earl, suffice it to say, that no-one other than an amateur would mistake what you have as knowledge, this is also my honest opinion of you earl. Does this mean to me that you are a bad person, no it doesn't you simply have very limited knowledge concerning hounds . The thing that may help you the most earl is if you could somehow understand this is a forum and you are going to get some good with the bad. I won't address you in the future earl, as to tell you the truth I consider it a waste of my time and I wasn't addressing you to begin with. I just don't consider you worthy in hound related matters. How about someone jumping on this and having earl his pity party. I won't respond.

steveh

Post by steveh »

Hey gwyoung, why all the hostility? All the guy did was ask a question. You are the one that took it to a new level and got personal. Then you went and hammered on kbasler1s.

It was just a question, answer it or don't I don't care. but are you going to be part of the solution or part of the problem.