What makes a good rabbit dog?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mybeagles

Re: What makes a good rabbit dog?

Post by mybeagles »

Line flow is the most important quality hands down.....some dogs have line flow at different speeds. The faster the dog the more challenging it is to have great flow but if you ever see a fast dog with great line control it's a sight to see.

Dogs with smooth line flow possess the nose, brains and independence to run a good rabbit.

In addition to smooth flow they need hunt, handle and desire but all the hunt and skills in the world are worthless if they can't hold a line smoothly.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

I got a lead on a dog so I am hopeful that I may be getting a beagle that's running good and hunts hard and does it at a medium speed. If we get right she will be mind, if not I will still be searching.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

David Bowers

Post by David Bowers »

Look; I live about an hour from you. You are welcome to come run with me and see my style of dogs. I changed up this year after 20 years of the same line. I do agree it is hard to find good rabbit dogs here in S.C. because the limited places we have to hunt. I have spent way too much money running all over the country buying dogs this past year. If you don't know what you are looking for you will get hung and have nothing to show for it. I have 10 beagles on my place and all was bought with in the past year but one. All are keepers and not one of them will stand around your feet, they hunt and jump rabbits. My dogs run to catch and do quite a bit. You can look at my pack and see what I have and I can lead you to the right people on here. This is a good bunch of guys on here and I will help you the best I can. I will be off Tuesday and wed. Give me a call if I can help.
P.S I do not have any dog’s for sale.
Thanks,
David Bowers
803-271-5750
http://sqdawgs.com/LOOK OUT THE WAY HE WENT KENNELS

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

I will keep your number and give you a call one day. Real busy right now or I would take your invite up but schedule will not work. Thanks any way. If you have any future litters I may be interested if they be in this old mans price range. Maybe after deer season this year we might hook up for a real hunt and kill some rabbits. You Take Care and Be Safe.

George
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

David Bowers

Post by David Bowers »

I do have a litter that should be here the 28th. 5 world champs in the breeding. Mother and father here you can see both in action. Both have extreme hunt with the brains to run. The father was qualified for the world hunt last year, but I went and picked him up that weekend and did not know him enough to hunt him. He is the real deal. Mother has all the world champions in her bloodline. She is tough as nails also. I would cut you a heck of a deal to keep them close. AKC reg. I can run most anytime my work schedule is 3 days one week 4 the next. 7pm-7am
Thanks,
David

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

If the price is right I may take you up on that. It is always good to have your bloodline close by that way you have excess to them with out the cost of maintaining them. I sent you a PM explaining why I could not take you up on the invite and a little more info on me.
George
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

David Bowers wrote:I do have a litter that should be here the 28th. 5 world champs in the breeding. Mother and father here you can see both in action. Both have extreme hunt with the brains to run. The father was qualified for the world hunt last year, but I went and picked him up that weekend and did not know him enough to hunt him. He is the real deal. Mother has all the world champions in her bloodline. She is tough as nails also. I would cut you a heck of a deal to keep them close. AKC reg. I can run most anytime my work schedule is 3 days one week 4 the next. 7pm-7am
Thanks,
David
OK folks I am now the proud owner of a nice black&tan female beagle born Saturday March 22. Mr. David Bowers is true to his words he cut me a deal of a lifetime, I had a great talk with him today. I am pretty sure I will name her Star. If you read the quote above you will have to admit this is one well bred pup if this old man can do his part I am sure she will be able to do her part instead of me training her she going to train me. I can't thank David enough for what he has done for me. Thank You David.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

David Bowers

Post by David Bowers »

Good talking to you today George. Looks like She has a good name already. I had one called star Baby one time that was nice. Can't wait to meet up and talk dogs.
Thanks,
David

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

loads of great advice. i like hunt, brains and heart or stamina. i do like a fast dog but for killing rabbits a step above medium is good enough. beagles if handled properly will give you everything in them and more there flat unbelievable at times and one of the reasons i stay in the sport wither it be field trialing or just hunting i'm hooked for life.
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

Ole Mule wrote:OK my question is what makes a good rabbit dog?
if "your" happy with your dog, it's a good one. You don't have to please anyone but yourself.
Big Mike