.410 pistol hunters

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

matt c

.410 pistol hunters

Post by matt c »

I am in the market before next rabbit season for a .410 pistol, so I don't have to carry a gun around and can carry it in a holster. For those of you that hunt with one, what do you use ?

If you have a picture of one that you use, that would be great.

deerhost

Re: .410 pistol hunters

Post by deerhost »

I have a T/c contender with a 12 barrel it shoots the 2 3/4 inch 410 # 7 1/2 best. But it is hard to hit a rabbit with. I'd say I hit 3 out 10. I added a holographic sight to it and I now only shoot at walking or sitting still rabbits and my hit ratio has gone up....dh

island hare chas'r

Post by island hare chas'r »

JUDGE 6 INCH BARREL
CONTENDER SCREW IN CHOKE (MACHINED IN)
CRIMSON TRACE LAZER GRIP
PATTERNS OUT TO 30-35 YARDS WITH #5 CHILL :hammer:

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I would opt for a Contender--I may be in the market myself. I have a frame for my .357 Max. We shot a round of skeet with one once; I broke 17 out of 25. It was a blast--literally and figuratively.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

Me, my brother, and about 3 or 4 of my buddies all shoot the contender. Barrel lengths range from 10 to 14 inches on our setups. In my opinion, the 12 inch barrel is ideal. It pulls up and balances better than the 14 or the 10. You really don't gain any yardage using the 14 over the 12 either. I killed a rabbit at 40 yards with my 14 inch. That distance is not typical, but it was sitting. Killing 20-30 yards is easy once you figure the gun out. 3 of us carried them mostly all week in Maine this year and they probably account for 25 hare in 5 days. Contender is the only way to go in my opinion.

Here is my brother with his. This was the first time he ever shot it, killed a hare at 25 yards.

matt c

Post by matt c »

Smoke'n Mack wrote:Me, my brother, and about 3 or 4 of my buddies all shoot the contender. Barrel lengths range from 10 to 14 inches on our setups. In my opinion, the 12 inch barrel is ideal. It pulls up and balances better than the 14 or the 10. You really don't gain any yardage using the 14 over the 12 either. I killed a rabbit at 40 yards with my 14 inch. That distance is not typical, but it was sitting. Killing 20-30 yards is easy once you figure the gun out. 3 of us carried them mostly all week in Maine this year and they probably account for 25 hare in 5 days. Contender is the only way to go in my opinion.

Here is my brother with his. This was the first time he ever shot it, killed a hare at 25 yards.

Thanks for the info. Are they much louder being a pistol? Also what is the price ranger for a contender?

DIXIEDOG

Post by DIXIEDOG »

I use the Magnum Research BFR .410 revolver, it's a great rabbit gun :nod:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z110 ... /004-9.jpg

I also have a .410 Contender but haven't used it as a .410 much since I bought the BFR.....I would recommend if you can swing it to get the new G2 frame if you go the Contender route. The main thing that drove me nuts with my Contender was if you didn't shoot and you lowered the hammer down you had to remember to break the action open or you couldn't recock the hammer...the newer G2's can be let down and recocked without breaking it open.

bopar8454

Post by bopar8454 »

the super comanchee 45/410 with 10in barrel is a nice gun for the price around 200 dollars depending where you buy it

pcable

Post by pcable »

Be sure to check your state laws on hunting with the judge. In Kentucky you can't use the Judge as there is no way to permanently plug it down to 3 shots. I was ready to buy one when I found out so better check before you buy.
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

Big Mike

Post by Big Mike »

T/C 410 super 14 ....fun to hunt with, and much easier to handle dogs.
Big Mike

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

If you aren't feeling contender rich...

I have a Rossi matched pair pistol.

Comes with .410/.45 and a .22 barrel for under $350.

The Rossi is not as pretty as the tc, but performs very well IMHO.
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

Smoke'n Mack

Post by Smoke'n Mack »

You probably won't find a new contender either. I'm not even sure they make them anymore. You can pick up a used one in the 4-500 range I bet.

A few of my buddies have the old style that have to be broken open before they can be re-cocked. It's a pain, but they don't seem to mind. Just becomes habit really.

DEA

Post by DEA »

Fellas
I have a g2 with the 14 barrel and i love it havent carried a long gun since i bought it. I am tall so I can were a normal hip holster. I also had some special 45 long colts loaded up with 3 pellets of buck shot and some small shot around it. They work great on hare out to 45 yards and they will also knock down a coyote, which with birds shot is hard to do. definitly makes the gun easier to carry knowing that i can still protect my dogs against the brave ones.

Shoot Straight
DEA

44magman

Post by 44magman »

I live in maine and hunt hare only and have been hunting with a contender for the last several years and just love it . I shoot 3" number fours threw it and it preforms well. its nice to just holster it when you are going threw the thick woods and not have to weave a long gun threw all the branches.i have shot a couple of coyote with it that the dogs were trashing on never knocked them down but made them bleed pretty good. I should start and carry a couple of buck shot to shoot the coyote with but the dogs don't trash on the very often about once a year .

didion419

Post by didion419 »

dixiedog whats the price on that m r and what are those brass casings sure looks bigger than 45 long colt