Superior Intelligence - A nice compliment for any hound!

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

brad stewart

Re: Superior Intelligence - A nice compliment for any hound!

Post by brad stewart »

Prop in his blood I think he lacks brains if you ask me its because he is line breed :lol:
if they dont hunt they dont stay

fulcount

Post by fulcount »

good post JW

bunnybuster88

Post by bunnybuster88 »

interesting topic, thought i would bump it to get it going again....

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I just got woke up by my house trained beagle, well not really. See, she was never house trained, just had a litter of pups and started giving a bark every time she needs to go outside. I never had a hound in the house before but this one surprised me with a litter of 4 so we got one of them big wire crates with a plastic floor and that's where she's been in the kitchen the last week. I know this got nothing to do with running a rabbit but it surprised me how she just took to letting us know to go out, when she's been raised in a outdoor kennel all her life.
It's a funny thing, I turn her out and she goes down by the creek to do her business, I hollar "where's your puppies" and she come back to the house and sits by the door. I let her in an she goes to the kennel an gets in. I never would have expected one of mine to have been such a easy keeper in the house, they much more unruly out in the kennel with their own kind.
She's a climber too, one of those bad ones that has to be kept in the jail cell. Nothing special as far as a rabbit dawg but her pups have all been keepers better than her and she's a milk cow when it come to caring and feeding pups. I tell you what tho, one week in the house and she's lost all her undercoat, that's my wife's biggest complaint, I gotta keep the shopvac by the kitchen door to keep the hair picked up. So she showed me that a house dawg ain't gonna have that winter coat being kept in the house. Hopefully next week her and the pups go out to stay.
Well, everyone's quiet and back to sleep except me... :roll:

JCM

Post by JCM »

Thanks for sharing your story John. Nothing makes running more exciting than when you have a young hound that you really like that is making great progress. I think that is what keeps us all going.

This one sounds so smart she could probably do just as well even if some guy had her that always ran her in a pack. :lol:

Please ignore the negativity and keep sharing. It's fun reading about hounds in action.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

bringemback, No one said a hound doesn't have a brain and that he doesn't use it. I have said that he does, and that all do, pay attention. But you still give an example of something that the average beagle has the capacity to learn, My entire point and you have missed it ( poor comprehension on your part ) is examples of " brains" beyond what the average beagle possesses, most beagles subject to what you reference have the capacity to learn this and much more. I was not asking for an example of a hound using it's brain, it has to have a brain to stand up , ( but to give you credit where it is due , you unlike some others did mention an example of brains, leading to better running, but not above what the average hound possesses. ) I clearly asked for examples beyond what an average hound possessed, I put it in plain English but you somehow got the idea that I simply wanted a example of a hound thinking. John Way, as far as you giving examples of hounds using their brains and it leading to better running you have not provided one either. You speak of hounds becoming rabbit smart and it leading to FAULTY running, If you will re-read my posts on this subject I said the same thing about Leading to Faulty running, Search my posts and find out you are trying to tell me something I have already told YOU. These hounds becoming rabbit smart have absolutely nothing to do with hounds using their brains to lead to better running, which is what my question is about and I have stated it but you don't seem to be able to comprehend that either, look it up! I even gave the example of a hound skirting a brush pile and catching the trail at the other side, this is brains,( I never said a hound doesn't possess any) but this is brains leading to FAULTY running same as your example , you and some others need to grasp this. Fulcount, I see you are continuing to " mee Too" you are the champ at this and some mistake you for contributing, but what is not lost on most is you have not given one example of a hound using " Brains" beyond what an average hound possesses to promote good running, as a matter of fact Fulcount you haven't provided anything but the occasional "mee too" comment and that is there for all to see, once again Fulcount, provide us with some examples. Let me help all of you out, in an attempt to get a non-convoluted, non-relevant, answer, ( some still can't comprehend that I have said hounds , all hounds have brains and use them) just answer these questions . I know some will still have trouble and babble on about nothing that is being asked. Perhaps I can drag an answer out of Fulcount by using this method but I doubt it! Here goes all of you " brain" folks , just answer these questions Do you think it is brains that determine running speed, do you think it is brains that determines hunt, Do you think it is brains that determines good close check work, do you think it is brains that determine nose, this is a start seeing as how I can't get you to give any examples of your own perhaps I can pry something out of you in this manner to back up YOUR answer of brains, beyond what an average hound possesses! Tell ,me something that the average hound does not have the capacity to learn. I can actually give some examples of enhancement and you " brain" people can't give anything to back up what you defend, I find that interesting! John way, one other thing that you should think about and that is why hounds with equal opportunity do not develop in to identical hounds, as you have referenced, it is called Genetics John , most INHERIT different genetic material most know this , it is not because of their inherited intelligence that they greatly differ , it is why you could be 6' tall and your brother 5'5". or that he is a good shot, etc; and you are not, it is called inherited genetic material , it isn't brains that made the one brother taller, or a better shot, etc; as you and some others appear to think! And if you think that all hounds in a litter are genetically similar, as far as natural ability, as you say, you have a lot to learn there as well. I cannot agree with what you say even though thirty years ago I may have, it is been repeated over the years and very few have really given it much thought, they just repeated it! Give it some more thought and be honest with yourself about it as you observe. Thank you for the discourse as well . My final word and if you believe otherwise fine,( Some who believe otherwise cannot give a reason they believe otherwise, I find that amusing) Most if not all hounds have all of the intelligence necessary to preform their tasks. Does a hound have to have brains sure, not saying that, never did. But if all have enough why should it be listed as an attribute if they all have enough, and they do.
Last edited by gwyoung on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:49 am, edited 10 times in total.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Nice story John and pic. Thanks

John Way

Post by John Way »

Thanks Earl and others for friendly comments.
gw, this will b my last response to you with this intellegence topic. I haven't been a poster for very long on this forum, but realize for the most part, that others avoid responding to you. Especially this topic. Puzzling why??
Now gw , Nobody is arguing ,that in large part genetics/blood is partly responsible for the items you have listed in your final paragraph. Now with that in mind , the size of the average brain is similiar in mass, but its the level of function that determines an outcome. Level of Interpretation/ identification /understanding /utilization all play a part in the average brain elevating itself. All of these things play out every second of every chase. The intellegent ,adaptive hound utilizes these tools to increase his ability. Its just a fact that certain individuals excel. I can't explain why, and all the scientific studies done haven't isolated exact cause and effect.
I'm gonna give you an example of your average brain in action, touching on each of your points from the final paragraph in your above post. We will call it " Deer Poop "
My hound has the same average brain/ blood capacity as others , I know because,
• Hunt -- It efficiently seeks out locates and recognizes deer trails.
• Nose -- It is able to easily determine which pellets are the freshest and digest only those.
• Running Speed -- Moves from pile to pile with cat like swiftness or tortoise like slowness.
• Check Work -- Thoroughly works an area to be sure no fresh pellets are over looked.
10-4 Over and out

Rowco Beagle Kennels

Post by Rowco Beagle Kennels »

I challenge all posters on here to henceforth totally ignore GW and let him listen to himself. Why? Because even a human with an average brain would have to admit: that if genetics give beagles the ability to hunt, trail, check, and run with speed, then genetics certainly gives some beagles a better functioning brain. No need to respond GW; I will not answer. I challenge others to do the same. Bobby

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

Nice read John!!!!!..Andre

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Rowco Beagle Kennels wrote:I challenge all posters on here to henceforth totally ignore GW and let him listen to himself. Why? Because even a human with an average brain would have to admit: that if genetics give beagles the ability to hunt, trail, check, and run with speed, then genetics certainly gives some beagles a better functioning brain. No need to respond GW; I will not answer. I challenge others to do the same. Bobby

+1
TheJohnBirchSociety

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

THANK YOU BOBBY
BIGDOGPACE

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

john,
i'm the owner of redwood tree service here in nj and i'd like to be the first to offer your dog a job as a climber. $35 per hr. + benefits.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Amen BOBBY.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Since none can answer the question or give an example of Brains instead of blood, you try to save face by not answering at all. What are you going to do if another asks you to explain yourself as you tout brains as an attribute , decide not to answer them either, this would be your best bet because as I have asked you to explain YOUR own answers , you have huffed and puffed and got all jacked out of shape all to cover what is not lost on most, YOU could not answer the question, you did not have the knowledge to do so, you know it, I know it, and you know you were going to be exposed as not knowing when you gave an answer. Independence, this has a lot of forms , how a hound works a check, running style, running speed, nose, Hunt, and how much of it are all blood and not brains, the list goes on, the brain list, well as you have demonstrated does not exist. I really like the idea some of you not responding, you act as if I would somehow be the loser in that, how could that possibly be as I have never learned one single thing from you . I will tell you something most have learned here , none of you can back your little " brain" story up, because facts are simply not on your side, wives tales are what you perpetuate and stand by. I have educated you for quite some time on here, of course after you learn something you pretend to have known it all your life, I get a chuckle out of that, let me give you some more help as you struggle along , if you want to know anything about blood or brains look to the greatest breeder of beagles ever, take a real look at Traditional brace hounds ( I hate them) and what George Nixon understood about genetics, you can learn a lot from what is happening there, like independence in a hound an example would be turning a pack from behind, most who don't know any better consider this brains, it is not brains it is independence, a breed-able trait. if it is brains, then traditional brace hounds must be the smartest hounds on the planet for there is no more independent hound alive or one that pays less attention to why and where the hound in front of him is doing , just some more education for you on "brains" I know you need it. Hope someone doesn't ask you to explain brains in the future, that will be funny, anyhow, please stick to your promise of not responding to my posts, I am tired of you little fish trying to jump into my boat anyway, You would get smashed by the sheer weight ( knowledge) of the big fish anyway! You know you are out of your league when you can't explain your own answers! That's funny right there.