Running in the off season

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

ray s

Re: Running in the off season

Post by ray s »

pztrailman wrote:I talk to two different game wardens and our District 3 office and told them why I carried a pistol when running dogs. I had one killed. I have pictures in my truck. I was told if asked about the gun as long as I answered that I was coyote hunting there wasn't anything that they could do. You can hunt coyote 24/7.
If they're going to let us do that in Ohio, I'm going to carry my cabine with a scope. Because I have seen yotes ,out of range of my skills ,with a revolver. I need to thin them down more.
Last edited by ray s on Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

ray s as long as you stick with that story. If they ask what you are doing with beagles you can tell them your training them to run coyotes and they are trashing on rabbits or your using the beagles as decoy to lure coyotes in.

Marktnhunter

Post by Marktnhunter »

A few of the guys around here that run at night put Bells on there hounds to keep the coyotes away.

wvdaniel

Post by wvdaniel »

We use bells any time our dogs are running. And the Friday evening was to close for me. We was standing and talking 20 feet from where the coyote was at

tcshy

Post by tcshy »

I wish that would have happened to me, I would have shot it's eye balls out. I have never been that lucky to see one. I even bought I remote control coyote caller and still no luck. I always carry a gun with me because of Coyotes, just ordered more ammo from Cabela's today.

BOUTTIMEIV

Post by BOUTTIMEIV »

in ohio you can carry a gun and say you are either yote or groundhog hunting and they cant do a thing about it as there is no closed season for either.We do it with our squirrel dogs too and never had a priblem.
Mark