Running in the off season

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

wvdaniel

Running in the off season

Post by wvdaniel »

I know in wv you can run your dogs after hunting season goes out. But my ? Is when you go running what do you do about coyote? We was running last Friday evening and tried to catch the dogs right at dark. Well they got a rabbit up and had a hard time getting them. When we got the last dog there was a coyote 10' from him. Any suggestions?????

BCBeagles

Re: Running in the off season

Post by BCBeagles »

I carry a Keltec PMR 30, 22 magnum semiauto, I carry it in a pouch dangling right beside my Garmin.

If coyotes are in the area I fire off a couple shots to help urge them to leave..lol. We have had multiple issues with them until we educated them. Carry that gun everytime I run.... talked to a DNR officer about it. It is used as my protection, not concealed, and that is enough for them.

Good luck, call me sometime and I can tell you some more specifics we have done to "educate" them, coyotes that is.

Take care!

wvdaniel

Post by wvdaniel »

Ok Jim I sure will call. When is a good time? I just didn't know what the dnr would say about having the gun out of season. I know they told me sometime back you can't even have a knife on you when season is out

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

Call me in the evenings. If you miss me I will call you back.

Take care

wvdaniel

Post by wvdaniel »

Ok thanks

big w beagles

Post by big w beagles »

What is the law in Ohio about carrying a gun in the off season when running dogs?

wvdaniel

Post by wvdaniel »

Not sure about ohio.

wvdaniel

Post by wvdaniel »

They may not like us running on Sunday either but when you work 5 and 6 days a week you have to get them out sometime :dance:

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

Jim, Interesting that a DNR officer would tell you that it is O.K. to carry any weapon in the off season while running dogs. It is my understanding that Even though WV is an open carry state, there are certain limitations and provisions governing the open carrying of firearms. Wv chapter 20 specifically makes it a criminal offense to have a firearm in one's possession while training dogs in closed season. not only can you not carry a firearm openly you can't have one cased in your vehicle, as I understand the law. Am I missing something, am I not up to date on the current law on this? I would like to carry in the off season but the law seems clear?

ray s

Post by ray s »

big w beagles wrote:What is the law in Ohio about carrying a gun in the off season when running dogs?
It's illegal , unless you have a conceal carry permit. If you do have your CCW and someone with a badge asks." the pistol is for self defense only".

This one was taken a few yards from a den . He didn't like my beagles running rabbits in that area.(actually I was able to get his mate also)

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Michigan has a closed running season from April 15th to July 8th unless you have a permit.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

It is for my protection and my dogs. It is openly carried as self defense. Just happens I am running dogs.

I was told "how" to answer by a DNA officer....lol. They can fine me, but it may be tough. Still going to carry it, fine cheaper than my dogs.....sometimes..lol.

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

CANT U HUNT YOTES ANYTIME DAY OR NIGHT U CAN HERE IN N. C. SO U HAVE TO HAVE AGUN TO SHOOT YOTES
BIGDOGPACE

ray s

Post by ray s »

bigdogpace wrote:CANT U HUNT YOTES ANYTIME DAY OR NIGHT U CAN HERE IN N. C. SO U HAVE TO HAVE AGUN TO SHOOT YOTES
I mentioned that type of scenario to a game warden. He explained to me that he has hunted rabbits with beagles and he would know exactly what I was doing and he wouldn't appreciate me insulting his intelligents. And a judge would more than likely see it his way. I caught his drift, and let him know I also wasn't going let my dogs be coyote fodder either. He did say it wasn't a violation he went looking for but, would usually be one he was called out on.

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

I talk to two different game wardens and our District 3 office and told them why I carried a pistol when running dogs. I had one killed. I have pictures in my truck. I was told if asked about the gun as long as I answered that I was coyote hunting there wasn't anything that they could do. You can hunt coyote 24/7.