speedy dogs verses smooth running dogs

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

dhoundman

speedy dogs verses smooth running dogs

Post by dhoundman »

can you kill the same number of rabbits on any given day with those speedy fast dogs verses a pack of smooth running dogs.
----------- and on a bad senting day does a speedy fast dog spend more time looking for the rabbit then a smooth running dog :?:

briarhopper

Re: speedy dogs verses smooth running dogs

Post by briarhopper »

In my experiance i have had much better succes with a smooth running pack . I have owned both. Ran faster dogs for years and now run slower more line control dog. They can kick it up or down a gear and adjust to the conditions. During season we kill nearly every rabbit they run, they dont hole many rabbits and dont hardly lose any. I still enjoy watching a pack of fast dogs pound on a rabbit, it reminds me why i switched bloodlines.

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

Every dog has their day. On good condition day, a fast would get more rabbits. On bad condition day, a medium speed would get more rabbit. I just don't like a flat med speed dog n a fast no gear dog. A fast dog with gear could adjust to the condition n do well on both good n bad condition day. Fast dog with gear beats fast dog no gear n medium speed dog any day.
Minnesota Beagler

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I want a dog to be accountable for their rabbit. I want them as quick as possible, slow as necessary.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

Casey Harner wrote:I want a dog to be accountable for their rabbit. I want them as quick as possible, slow as necessary.
Sounds about right.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

I like a speedy, smooth running dog. It's not about killing as many rabbits as I can for me, it's about getting out and being with my dogs in the fresh air and see the excitement of the chase. I will kill a few, but not enough that I can still have plenty more to run thru the summer.
Thanks,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

duckbuster38401

Post by duckbuster38401 »

rabbitatfarm wrote:
Casey Harner wrote:I want a dog to be accountable for their rabbit. I want them as quick as possible, slow as necessary.
Sounds about right.
I agree I want both, I like em to run fast and clean and to have the brains to walk it out if need be. JMO
Jason McMeen
931-446-1467

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Try to keep the dogs that are focused on the rabbit instead of the dogs just trying beat or race each other when judging & your pack will continue to run smoother. I love competitive spirit in a hound , but when they become more focused on their packmates than the rabbit track, you're going to have problems such as swinging, overrunning, skirting ,racing, bounding off from the check area, etc. that ruin the smooth running of your pack.
Last edited by WELLS WOODS on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

bfoster

Post by bfoster »

dhoundman wrote:can you kill the same number of rabbits on any given day with those speedy fast dogs verses a pack of smooth running dogs.
----------- and on a bad senting day does a speedy fast dog spend more time looking for the rabbit then a smooth running dog :?:
Your questions are flawed and thus very difficult to answer.

Smooth running dogs are generally desired by everyone regardless of whether or not they are speedy fast dogs or slow walking dogs.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

No if you have the rabbits you can kill more with fast dogs.I do a trial down here call Gun dog TCP and these boy that have fast fast dogs can show you more rabbits.You get 100 points every time the rabbit cross the road with a dog behind it. Don t matter if its one dog or four but you get more point by having 4 dogs on the rabbit.But if your in rabbits you can kill more with fast dogs. But if I am not in rabbits I want a slower dog..Like I said.Rabbits make a big different.

Tsa la gi

Post by Tsa la gi »

Well woods, sounds like my hounds and I love it.
Come Run

David Bowers

Post by David Bowers »

Well I got to put my 2cents in. I started hunting at 8 years old and I am 48 so over the 40 years I have run with about every speed that is out there. Back years ago we run med slow about 4 to 5 on speed. Most of the time you killed it because the rabbits run different back then. We didn't have coyotes around and they have made the rabbits change up. The rabbits would run a small circle and come back moving slow just slipping around. I have even seen them run straight out and come back on the same trail.
NOW A DAYs, a whole different story. The old rabbit has gotten smarter at finding cover and run crazy. they may leave out and take a different zip code. If you think they are going to come back u are so wrong. They may make a big circle but forget about standing at the jump site because it ant going to happen, he isn't coming back. SO YES WE KILLED MORE RABBITS BACK THEN BUT I don't think you would now and surly not as quick. I hate to sit and wait for a pack to bring a rabbit 100 yards and it takes five min. I want them back to me as soon as possible and I think in my area I can kill more rabbits with fast dogs but wait I don't 1/2 the time carry a gun.
I loves me some fast dogs now...........!!!!!!!!!!

:moon:
http://sqdawgs.com/LOOK OUT THE WAY HE WENT KENNELS

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I've had the opportunity to see a couple of very quick dogs run on hare [ bare ground ] that could run one like they were hitched to it! I mean fly! Really impressive!
You can have SPEED and SMOOTH in the same hound and it's pretty awesome when you get one.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

island ridge hounds

Post by island ridge hounds »

i was thinking that, was the hound we were all looking for. a hound that could run a rabbit 100 miles an hour and never lose him. its fun to watch them corner. slower dogs put me to sleep fast dogs keep the race like they just jumped another.
let honesty run through the veins of each and every judge at each and every trial at each and
every format.