Another Tail Banding Question

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

birmi1nr

Another Tail Banding Question

Post by birmi1nr »

I've had a band on my dogs tail for 3-weeks now and it's yet to fall off. Band is aprox. 3" down from the tip of the tail, end of tail is black and appears to be dead but has yet to fall off. Anyone had one take this long? I'm using one of the green bands from TSC. Is there a smaller size band I should be using.
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA

Hill Top Beagles

Re: Another Tail Banding Question

Post by Hill Top Beagles »

No it will work takes a little moore time, probably will fall off when you take him hunting.

Jim Woods

Post by Jim Woods »

I was wondering if your dog finally lost the end of its tail. I have a 5 year old that I need to do something to the end of her tail. She lost enough blood yesterday that she was getting weak. Can't decide to try the banding or take her to the vet.

Thanks.

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

Here's a link to Tractor Supply Company that shows the banding tool that most guys use. Nick's dog is the first I've heard that has had his tail stay on for this long. I bought a plastic handled one last year for about $10 less , but I'm sure that this is still going to be much cheaper than a vet. A bag of rubber bands is only about $3. Just work the hair back and place the band between the vertebrae. Usually only takes a couple weeks to fall off.
Tool http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/p ... nd-premium
Bands http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/i ... ack-of-100

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

It is surely dead, cut it off with a pair of dykes.

I did this on one of mine, it worked out well.

Good luck!

birmi1nr

Post by birmi1nr »

Band is still in place and dogs tail still hasn't fallen off. I run him 3-4 times per week and I always think "today is gonna be the day that I load him up after running and it's gonna be gone", hasn't happened yet :shock:

The end of his tail is surely dead as it's black and crooked, just hasn't fallen off yet. I've been thinking of just snipping the dead part off, but I was hoping it would do it on it's on. After 5 weeks now though I think thats what I'm going to have to do. Only thing I can see to do differently next time is shave the portion of the dogs tail that I want to take off before I apply the band to make sure no hair gets under the band. I pulled the hair on his tail back best I could when I did it but the dog has longer hair on his tail and I've noticed that there is some hair that got under the band.
CEREAL CITY KENNELS
FCGD CEREAL CITY WANGO TANGO
FCGD CEREAL CITY OOH LALA

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I always cut the hair around the area, probably the hair holding it on...lol.

Good luck!

KPrice

Post by KPrice »

My old banding tool broke on me, so the last few times I have used a piece of PVC pipe. Just open the band with needle nose pliers and slide it over the pipe.
Then slide the pipe down the tail and slide the band off. Works and you don't have to buy a banding tool.

wireman252

Post by wireman252 »

KPrice wrote:My old banding tool broke on me, so the last few times I have used a piece of PVC pipe. Just open the band with needle nose pliers and slide it over the pipe.
Then slide the pipe down the tail and slide the band off. Works and you don't have to buy a banding tool.
That's a great idea .

hurryup

Post by hurryup »

Always use double bands on a dogs tail because of the amount of muscle n bone. Usually takes about a week.
Visit Our Website

Hurry Up Beagles.Com