guys with dog trailers step in

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Joeyman

guys with dog trailers step in

Post by Joeyman »

I'm tired of my 14mpg truck. I want to buy a smaller vehicle that gets good gas milage and pull a dog trailer. I dont know anything about dog trailers. We haul about 10 beagles every time we go rabbit hunting. How big are the trailers and on average how much do they cost. Do i need a license for it? Hows that all work? Like I said this would be all new to me I dont know anything about tralers. Where can I buy one? any websites I can look at. share the link. Any info you have please share so I can learn what it would take to make this happen.
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

chris1971

Re: guys with dog trailers step in

Post by chris1971 »

001.JPG
001.JPG (59.5 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
Joey we built our own last summer. I looked to purchase one but because of the cost I knew I could build it way cheaper. Our trailer is 5x10 with two runs, a dog box, and tool box for storage. I have seen trailers by searching websites that cost more than my truck. I have not seen any though from a manufacturer that has runs. Most are just box for dogs and maybe some storage. You sometimes can find one on Craigslist for sale if your not in a big hurry. As far as getting it licenced that would depend on your state.

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

Joey I do not have a trailer yet, but I have been looking to build one like this. small easy to pull. full size wheels top storage. you may need a bigger box and run for ten dogs but it's a start. GOOD LUCK !!!

Paul Moore
http://www.moorebeagles.com
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

Joeyman

Post by Joeyman »

That one there is what Im going after, small and easy. I dont know if I neccesaily need a run. i dont go on to many weekend trips to where the dogs would sit in the trialer over night.

So do the bigger tires provide a less bumpy ride for the dogs? smoother pulling trailer?
Missouri rabbits running for their lives!!!!

Give us a like on FACEBOOK search for Track Em Down Kennels

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

bigger tires run smoother and cooler. they are easier to change or replace if you tear one apart. and they have more ground clearance.
Paul Moore
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

A good cheap handy trailer for hauling and hounds is to buy one of those little trailers from the Rural King or farm store and maybe 3 of the 16' horse panels. You can fashion a lite strong collapsible cage out of the horse panels that easily comes on and off and still use the trailer for hauling items a smaller truck bed won't handle. I got the idea from one of those collapsible wire kennels that fold down flat when not in use, there really handy. The horse panels are a wielded 2"X4" 9 gauge wire, very stout. Cutting and bending a few hook connection to structure the collapsible cage, then coating with the rhino bed liner should give you a good looking, long lasting cage, all you have to do is put a dog box in front of it if you want and there you have it. The cage can be fastened to the trailer side rails with brackets for easy removal when not needed and since the cage collapses flat, it can be hung up on the garage wall not taking up any extra space when stored.
I bought a trailer to haul the Ranger on. My dog box sits atop the hard shell on the truck. I wanted a way to fashion a cage out of the trailer after I got to the hunt camp to keep the hounds in once the Ranger was unloaded. This collapsible cage setup will allows me to haul the hounds in the truck box, while pulling the Ranger on the trailer and then setup the cage once I get there. Just collapse the cage flat in the trailer and drive the Ranger in on top of it while traveling. Once I get there, the move truck box to the trailer and sit it in front of the cage. The Ranger has it's own dog box fastened in the bed, so load up and off we go.
Dog trailers can be as costly as you want to make them, creating your own design is half the fun.
Good luck with your plans.

ps.. nothing is as handy as a trailer you can multitask with. :nod:
Most the smoother riding trailers come with a torsion axle vers the leaf springs. Depends on how far you travel to hunt, roads and speed traveled. Bearing Buddies are a must for any trailer, easy to keep greased. Here, we go to the BMV, register the trailer and get a trailer plate.
Last edited by S.R.Patch on Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

I plan on building one as well for overnight stays on weekend trips. I also plan on downsizing and buying a Jeep Cherokee.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

mooredog,

That is my trailer and I love it.
Easily pulled with a 4-wheeler as well on the logging roads by my cabin.
I use it on trips, bought it from a guy in SW MO., pulled it home and have pulled it to the Island for a week too.
Hounds can move around and empty out when needed, I do lock them in when on the road.

One thing I would like different is a larger box, it fits two 15" hounds/side.
I am planning a little work on it this summer. I want to put a reinforced top on it so I can haul my 4-wheeler on top.
I can look at the tag and see who manufactured it and let you know.

There is a guy in MI. that builds them called Eddie Folland, reddog 1 has one from him and it is nice.
Maybe Chuck will post with contact info.
Last edited by Swampman on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I thought about that also, but was worried about it becoming "top heavy".

mooredog

Post by mooredog »

Swampman I saw that picture a while back and saved that picture. that is a nice trailer. having a removable box and runs would make for a multi-purpose trailer.
Paul Moore

sammiller03

Post by sammiller03 »

joey i am in the same boat. i have been thinking about just gettina a small aluminum trailer and mounting dog boxes on it. the thing i see is to get torsion axles instead of leaf springs for a smoother ride. i have also thought about a small enclosed trailer with vents and plastic dog crates.

sam
Millers Old Line Kennel
Grantsville, Md.

bunnybuster24

Post by bunnybuster24 »

Odis Faircloth in Bunnlevel, NC builds some nice ones. I have his number somewhere will look and see if I can find it.

Diamond Deluxe (diamonddeluxe.com) also build very nice ones with and without runs.

Seneca also builds trailers. Art Metts has the nicest one I have seen personally maybe he will see this and post pics
IFC Tysons Picking Banjo (RIP)
IFC Beavercreeks Manifest Destiny
IFC Blackies T Cricket
GRHBCH XDawg Lucky
FCLP Red Pines Sara Palin
LPRCH HBCH Crankin Katie
HBCH Loose Change WV Road Rage

Dale Pea

Post by Dale Pea »

I agree that Odis Faircloth can build it. I have one and I am thrilled with it. Have gone to the UP twice and to northern Kentucky many times. The only thing I wish I had done was to put a door on the top of the runs. Its easier to get the one hound you want if you can reach in from the top. When you go from the side it seems the one you want is always in the back and the others are trying to do the jailbreak.

I can get the number for Odis if you want it.

chris1971

Post by chris1971 »

I bought a smaller trailer the first time and it was light and easy to pull with a 4 wheeler but on a rough road it would bounce the teeth out of the dogs.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

SR ,
Can you post some picture's of your set up ? Would like to see how the flod up cage looks & works , sounds like the way to go for a multi-use deal .
Randy
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"