Cattle tags for ticks & fleas

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BM Orchard

Cattle tags for ticks & fleas

Post by BM Orchard »

Does anyone use cattle tags wrapped around the collars? If so is there certain ones to use & where do you get them?

gpen08

Re: Cattle tags for ticks & fleas

Post by gpen08 »

Use purple python cattle tags. Get them at tractor supply store. Thirty bucks for 20 of them.

retired4now740

Post by retired4now740 »

Thats what I use PYTHON works great.
Life is too short to run UGLY DOGS

eddy williams

Post by eddy williams »

the whole tag on the collar ?

HAREHOUND

Post by HAREHOUND »

same here. have used them for 3-4 years now. i started out with the whole tag and then went to a half tag and do not notice any difference. if ticks are real bad i put on a little frontline/bio spot etc. but not sure if i would have to.

JUDE

Post by JUDE »

If children are petting your hounds please read the warning label before purchasing.
Jude's Beagles

Always in search of a more perfect hound!

Strivingfortheperfectrabbitdawg

gpen08

Post by gpen08 »

I cable tie about three quarters of the tag on the dogs collar. Never take them off. That is a good point by Jude. It is an insecticide so I never put them on house dogs or dogs that children handle.

HS Run

Post by HS Run »

http://americanbeagler.huntingboards.co ... 17&t=76639
Hope I did this right...should be some examples on here.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

i've always wondered about this. your putting something on a 30 pound beagle that's made for a 2000 pound cow.it may be ok but i worry to much to try it on my dogs.

Hwy 30 kennels

Post by Hwy 30 kennels »

adirondackjoe wrote:i've always wondered about this. your putting something on a 30 pound beagle that's made for a 2000 pound cow.it may be ok but i worry to much to try it on my dogs.
I have used them for 5 year on my dogs used them on all my cattle small calf to a big cow.. Never hurt a dog or cattle and I no ppl that put them on their sheep and goats..... Only thang is I wouldn't put it on a animal that kids or pregnant women is going to b around wouldn't chance it....

blueticken5

Post by blueticken5 »

How long do the tags usually last can u put them on dogs that have front line on them to
Glomskis Red River Runner Jr.
PCh 4 wins Towards Grand.
HBC 3 Wins Towards Grand.
LPRCH
High Noons Big Horn Chase.
LPRCH
High Noons Little Shy
LPRC
High Noons Mack Attack J-Dell x Dora.
LPRC

CGS KENNEL SHAWN

Post by CGS KENNEL SHAWN »

I have also had results with them and we raise several litters a year never had a problem will be using them this summer. old dogs to young dogs
S&S KENNEL SHAWN
2013 Spring National Winner GRCH CGS To Hot Too Molly
LP RCH BAD HABIT
LP RCH Sadie Mae

NCSportsman

Post by NCSportsman »

adirondackjoe wrote:i've always wondered about this. your putting something on a 30 pound beagle that's made for a 2000 pound cow.it may be ok but i worry to much to try it on my dogs.
My vet warned me of this and he had nothing to lose as I don't buy my flea & tick meds from him.

He warned of other hound owners that lost their dogs to liver & kidneys shutting down from this.

However, lots of guys use cattle tags and seem to like them.

gpen08

Post by gpen08 »

When I first started using the purple tags I researched them online. If I'm not mistaken the purple ones were tested on dogs and found to be safe. There is several different colored tags varying in strength. I use the purple ones because they were deemed safe for dogs.

ironjawdawgs

Post by ironjawdawgs »

I used them with good results until I had about 3 pups chew and eat them and lost all three pups real quick before I could do anything for them. Other then that I bred males and females and didn't have any problems. I for sure didn't have any ticks on my dogs and I ran them a lot with the tags on them.