coyotes killed my best beagle

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

tcshy

coyotes killed my best beagle

Post by tcshy »

My dad went hunting last Wednesday with 3 of his beagles. He said they lost a rabbit and all was quite. The female came back and he couldnt get the 2 male dogs to come in even after shocking them. Has almost been a week and we have all but given up hope of seeing them we know coyotes where known to be in the area and we fear the worst. Always the good ones get killed. I have went to the area to try and kill the yotes but i have not seen a thing. I hate coyotes they are just a miserable menance. I claimed the Green Bay Shooter male of his that evidentally got killed along with his son. We both have been sick over it because real good money couldnt have bought the older shooter male.
Any suggestions on how to kill the bastard coyotes?

Lone Pine Beagles

Re: coyotes killed my best beagle

Post by Lone Pine Beagles »

Happened to me last year, but the dog pulled through.

The month of May is the worst because the female is protecting her den.

foxxy

Post by foxxy »

Had this happen 2 yrs ago best dog I ever owned and a top notch up and coming pup it sucks I know
DNA Jenny
Windy Ridge Lightning
Coal Runs Bowser
Coal Runs Lacey
Coal Runs Cappy
Coal Runs Amp
Coal Runs Yoshi
Lp r ch Turbos Grand Pappy Happy

littlewoody

Post by littlewoody »

Set some meat out and wait for them to show up ! Sorry about your lost .
TheJohnBirchSociety

rabbit chaser

Post by rabbit chaser »

do you guys run bells on your dogs?
Thumper Jumpin Kennels-home of:
Thumper Jumpin Luck-E-Colt
Thumper Jumpin Lil Terror on Paws
Behne's oopsie daisy
Behne's lady

rabbitatfarm

Post by rabbitatfarm »

I'm sorry to hear that. I'd be devastated to lose my worst dog. They are all part of my pack.
LP R Ch Quick Strike Go Go Boots
LP R Ch Quick Strike Big Red

sgc

Post by sgc »

Where are you from?

FORDWRENCH

Post by FORDWRENCH »

a guy i know has good luck hunting over bait piles of roadkills and such. hang a trail camera close by and find out what time they are feeding. sneak in and post up..
Throw me to the wolves and i will return leading the pack!

sbeagler

Post by sbeagler »

sorry on your lose, this time of year fawns are a large part of their diet, my neighbor has killed 2 with a fawn distress call this week, the moms come also to pup distress, they often come to rabbit distress as well. have heard of burlap cut up in 12 x 12 squares soaked in baking grease cant poo it out so eventually gets um, get witha local corn or soybean farmer might have something else to sprinkle in kill them quicker if you got live stock kills. just cant have dogs loose or store near water or run off areas.if an animal dinks mud puddle or wet drainage areas have a bad problem with nontarget exposure consumption could be lethal to wildlife not good.

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

Lost a dog a couple weeks ago. Sorry to hear that.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

rackhntr

Post by rackhntr »

Id say the dogs was either stolen or may just turn up somewhere. Its not very likely for coyotes to get 2 dogs at once and your dad not hear anything. If he could hear them running looks like to me he would have heard a attack. You said the female came in! How is she around strangers? Will she let a stranger catch her?
Home of
HBCH Quaker Knob Jill
Quaker Knob On The Spot
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Rebel
Quaker Knobs Lonesome Dixie
Quaker Knob Hannah Jae
Quaker Knob Bitsy Boo

John Way

Post by John Way »

Don't give up looking for them to quickly. Unless the attack was actually seen or heard, they still may be recovered. Lost two about 10 yrs ago at dusk. Coyotes were in area howling. Thought dead for sure. Two weeks later get a call from animal shelter next town over. . Some do gooder picked them up while running along the side road was on. Thought they were injured. Was just normal wear and tear from running. She kept them for several days before bringing to shelter. Never noticed my name plate rivited to collar.
I would be combing the woods where last ran looking for hounds or evidence of them being attacked and killed. Crows and buzzards are "dead " give aways. Sound like some hounds worth the extra effort.

mjd

Post by mjd »

X2 on the last 2 post

tcshy

Post by tcshy »

Thanks all for the advice and condolences. Been 14 days havent seen anything and have wore two trucks out looking for them. I have been back to the hunting spot many times even tried to call the coyotes with a remote caller. At this point i hope someone did steal them instead of coyotes killing them. I thought they might have jumped a deer and left the country but surely would have heard something by now. I use bells on my dogs but he doesnt. The female would probably let a stranger catch her. Here in KY coyotes are everywhere. Just sucks sorry to all that have lost a good dog this way or anyway really.

intrepid

Post by intrepid »

I'd invest in some tracking collors. I would think if your dad could hear them running a rabbit,he would of heard something if yotes came in for a kill. Could of had a deer jump up in front of them,and ran it silent for awhile. I'd check all the home owners within a 5 mile radius of where he was running. Maybe showed up at somebodys house.