Bev; Going on a hare hunting weekend

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

chuck raab

Bev; Going on a hare hunting weekend

Post by chuck raab »

Bev; The day after X-mas me and about ten other guys are loading our dogs and guns in our trucks. And we're heading to the U. P. in Michigan to enjoy the yearly experience of running our hounds for 4 or 5 days. We'll shoot a few hare :lol: and maybe this year I'll remember my gun. I'll let you know when I get back how good it was. Also I believe that there may not be snow were we're going, but the hare will still be white. Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year Chuck Raab

steve w.

Post by steve w. »

I would like to hear how you guy's do. I'm in Kalamazoo and head up around Rose City to hunt, going tomorrow. Been decent runnin up there so far.

Valpoguy

Snowshoe hunt

Post by Valpoguy »

Steve - are you going to hunt the Huron Nat. Forest? I hunted that area around Mio several years ago, only had about 4-5 chases over a long weekend but it was a lot of fun. Let us know how you do. Good running!

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Chuck, be sure and give us a full report!

steve w.

Post by steve w. »

Valpoguy, I think it is Huron Nat. Forest. Kirkland Warbler Habitat for sure, the jackpine areas is were we hunt. We shot 4 out of 5. Stayed pretty busy first half of day then slowed down. Not sure why other than we moved and the sign seemed old, so maybe they were'nt there. I hunted Mio before too and over by Luzerne, they say the hare population is in a down cycle right now but it's worth the trip too me.

chuck raab

Post by chuck raab »

Hey, guys just got back Monday afternoon at 4:30 we had great running, super weather,good fellowship, and we got 35 hare. If I can figure out how to post a picture or two I'll do it. Chuck

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Chuck, I just tried cooking a rabbit a different way and I'm wondering if hare would work as nicely. I was cooking a semi-boneless ham for Christmas Day and I threw some rabbit pieces down around the sides of the ham. OMG - YUUUMMM!!! If you ever try that with a hare, let me know how it comes out. Maybe I can turn Ralph loose long enough to go kill a few hare for himself before this winter's out.

Hare Hunter

Post by Hare Hunter »

Chuck, if you really killed 35 hare while here I'm glad I didn't hook up with you, 35? Are you really going to eat that many? I hope your report doesn't cause too many folks to come up here or we won't have any left to run after they leave. Hare
Earl Holbrook

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Earl, if all ten guys went with him, that's only 3.5 hare each. Granted, that's a large hunting party, but they should be able to manage that many hare. I know what your fears are though. Folks brag about coming into southern IN all the time and killing hundreds of rabbits each over a season. ?!?!?!?!?! I hope they are exaggerating. Who'd want to clean that many?

I asked that question one time and was told I was naive - they weren't cleaning those rabbits, they were taking them back home and selling them for 5 bucks apiece. Say it isn't so!

steve w.

Post by steve w. »

When only eight out of ten rabbit or hare live past thier first year can we really shoot out an area?I have seen area's once heavey with rabbit void off them the next year, it certianly was not from over harvesting as they were thier at seasons end and gone before the next. For the most part I assume it to be nature's way and I do like the game and move on. I hunt places that are great at the first of the season and lousey at the end, yet the tracks indicate that the rabbits are still there, I have come to the conclusion that it's the smart ones that are left and the rest are took by hunter's and predator's. Then the next season we start all over agian. I would not try to shoot out an area of rabbit but find it hard to believe I could.

Hare Hunter

Post by Hare Hunter »

Bev, mostly I was worried I would be gun shy if I was around that many folks shooting. LOL Hare
Earl Holbrook

chuck raab

Post by chuck raab »

Earl we have have got 35 hare, but that was 11 guys over 4 days. We had three hare running at one time. I hope that you think that we're trying to kill off all the hare up there. This is one trip a year and that is the only time we're up there hunting. Plus I personally only shot 1 hare.There were quite a few hare that we never got a look at. Plus we didn't shoot any that weren't ran by the dogs.Chuck

Hare Hunter

Post by Hare Hunter »

Chuck read the above post to Bev. It was all in jest, I usually hunt alone or with no more then 2 other beaglers, it was a joke about the shooting you guys must have been doing. That said I know there wasn't any snow there and the bunnys were white so it must have been pretty easy gunning. No offence Chuck, hope you see the humor in it all. Hare
Earl Holbrook

chuck raab

Post by chuck raab »

Earl I won't take any offense in your jest, but I'd like to been able to got a hold of you while I was there. that way I could have meet you somewhere and went running with just you. I only brought 3 dogs of my own. Chuck