breeding and culling .

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

transman63

breeding and culling .

Post by transman63 »

lots of talk about breeding and culling do u half to, too have good dogs ? if so do u line breed ? :???:
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

Hammerpolly

Re: breeding and culling .

Post by Hammerpolly »

Animals can only reproduce as good as they are. If you breed culls you get culls. Breed the very best you can find to try and get the best. There are many ways to breed but the best ive known line breed and even do a little inbreeding to set the abilities they want in their dogs or any animal.
Breed and hunt dogs that have strong desire, hunt hard, are pretty, have natural ablity in the field, and are smart. Hammer Talkin Beagles

Ole Mule

Post by Ole Mule »

I have to agree on line breeding. Do your homework and buy the best you can afford then work you out a line breeding program. Cull any with obvious faults or better yet cull what you want keep for yourself.
Stlnifr the Silent Hunter.
Rock Hollow Roxy
Rock Hollow Mabel
Rock Hollow Weasaw

bunnybuster88

Post by bunnybuster88 »

Line breed after u get what u want then cull what u don't want. Remember when linebreeding, you get what you double up on. Hunt, speed, line control, and oh yea the bad too. So be careful and put some thought in it. Think about all the goods and the bads of both hounds.

gwyoung

Post by gwyoung »

No, to answer your question you do not have to breed or cull to have good dogs!

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Hammerpolly wrote:Animals can only reproduce as good as they.
Really????? I beg to differ. JMO tho.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Alabama John

Post by Alabama John »

As cheap as dogs are right now, you can buy what you want cheaper than you can breed, feed, raise and train, cull, give shots, etc. and the odds will always be in your favor of getting what you are satisfied with.

transman63

Post by transman63 »

u forget the coast of transportation. better off breeding and cull. jmo.
AJ'S KENNEL'S .

gun runner

Post by gun runner »

Jmho, that is why beagles are so cheap because, there are a lot of people that breed to make a dollar! I know there are many different styles dogs, but at the end of the day there job is bring the rabbit back to u! The beagle is really underestimated in my eyes! There should be no brood bitches, or beagles with out papers or dogs with bad faults be rid of! You get these sorry dogs and breed to a powerful male and sale the dog on his name instead of there ability! Then the market becomes flooded! Not saying papers run rabbits either, but the value of a beagle will alway be low , because there is so many back yard breeders breeding for quantity instead of quality ! Prime example brankos dogs u don't see him selling dogs for nothing, just using him for a example! I know some people disagree but Jmho not trying to get things started but that's how I see it in my eyes!
LYNCH MOB KENNEL

LITAWAY'S CAPITAIN COLT COMMANDER
AWFULBAWLIN SMOKEN RED RYDER

Beagle Huntsman

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

If you set high standards for what you expect in a hound, it will be harder to buy. I cannot buy. I have to breed what I want and cull those that do not meet my minimum standards. Do that over a period of many years and you will get close to what you want, and at the same time it will get harder to find something outside your kennel to use.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Beagle Huntsman wrote:If you set high standards for what you expect in a hound, it will be harder to buy. I cannot buy. I have to breed what I want and cull those that do not meet my minimum standards. Do that over a period of many years and you will get close to what you want, and at the same time it will get harder to find something outside your kennel to use.
You got it. I couldn't agree more.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Culling to a breeder is just as important as breeding. It should be not unless they are just a puppy mill. A person breeds beagles to better what he has, according to that individuals standards.
The word culling has a brood definition.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

BB Beagles said a mouthful when he said"culling"has a broad definition.
Way too many people think "culling" means destroying the dog.You hear all the comments like"he needs a .22 tablet,knock em in the head,take em for a long walk",etc.Now I will agree that those means of "culling" do apply in certain cases such as birth defects,mental idiots,overly aggressive dogs [fighters],hardcore/can't be broken trash runners, tree dogs that never tree and beagles that never can put a circle on a rabbit,etc. And I have had to resort to that on several occasions in my 45 years of keeping hounds.
But "culling" can also mean just eliminating from your pack/kennel a hound that may just not"fit" for one reason or another.For example,I only keep females so I "cull" the males by selling them.I only keep 15" hounds so I have "culled" several little hounds that I have produced by selling them.I like a certain speed of hound so have "culled" several out of my kennel as they didn't have the foot to run with my others.They were sold to others that liked them.I have"culled" out a good hound before that was a chronic kennel barker[which I won't stand for] and sold her to a guy that kept his hounds at a farm several miles from his house.He didn't care if she barked all day. And I will admit it--I've "culled" several good hounds from my kennel by selling them to others because I just didn't like them----maybe their personality,voice,too cold nosed,etc.
Mel Faust of Satsuma Kennels "culls" out any of his pups that he's keeping for himself that aren't lemon and white and sells the tri-colored ones to others.I asked Mel if he thought the lemon and white were better dogs and he said"no,I just like em better".Sometimes that's just the way it is.You can have a good dog but just like another one better???
The old time pack hunters would talk about "head and tailing" their packs.That is when they would "cull"out the fastest dog and the slowest dog so they would have a smoother running pack.Certainly didn't mean they killed them but moved them on to packs where they fit better.
IMHO a beagler "culls" to satisfy what he wants in the hounds he keeps. I breed my own hounds to get what I want in my hounds.And I linebreed as I find it the best way to consistantly get the traits and type of hounds I want.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

David Bowers

Post by David Bowers »

Here we go; I agree culling is very important and if we cull right and pay close attention to what we breed culling is not too hard to do if it’s done right. Fifteen years ago I raised pups because I had a starting pen and enjoyed fooling with them. I did not sale pups, I kept the entire litter. I would put them into the starting pen and get them running good. Most of the time I would sale started dogs and keep what was doing the best. Well after several years I started hunting with some guys I had sold some started dogs to and there’s did as good or better than mine. I had to stop and think what was I doing wrong? Well I figured out quick, all dogs are not the same. Some start earlier and progress faster than others. This made me stop and look at the real picture. I was breeding a very strong line that produced jump dogs. I was able to pick most of the quick learners out but to find out the slower starters were as good as the ones I kept. What I found out I was Kennel blind. I like red dogs and was keeping all red and blue ticks. I also like fast small dogs 12 to 13 inches. I was not paying attention to the other dogs that didn’t suit my likings so I stepped back and started using my ears instead of my eyes. We all do it but some more than others so when you start culling or moving them out let your ears do it as much as your eyes. This is not saying don’t look at what they are doing but listen as well. Now I have started over and I have several different collars of dogs I pay more attention to the dogs themselves regardless of size or color. When I went to buy AKC dogs I looked for a line of dogs that were proven producers so the hard part is already done but now the fun part has just begun. CULLING
http://sqdawgs.com/LOOK OUT THE WAY HE WENT KENNELS

mn_beagleboy

Post by mn_beagleboy »

I cull very early. Wean the pups in 2 ac pen. By 3 month old, I should be able to tell who are the top of the litter. Non started or lesser ability gets cull. I get about 2 - 3 pups make the cut. I see a very successful results. Lesser ability goes to house pet where they belong! Good performance pups go to hunting home. Cull young, less feed, more room available, better reputation, and better beagling.

Sao
Minnesota Beagler