Let's hear bout those bitches

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BB Beagles

Let's hear bout those bitches

Post by BB Beagles »

Let's hear bout some ground pounding females y'all have. There accomplishments, hunt stories, bloodline on them, and any planned breedings. Pics welcome.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Let's hear bout those bitches

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I only keep females and have been blessed to have had several good ones that have also produced some real nice ones.
In 1993 I bought a female pup from Vic Costanza out of I.F.C. Maravic's Blue Ninja x Greenbriar Charity---Robinson's Naomi's Nola Drive.Nola made a very nice dog.She was bred to a D.F.J. male and produced A.R.H.A. Grand Rabbit Champion Shady Grove's Patch that went on to win the Tn.State,Mississippi State and Runner -Up Hound of the Year.The littermates also went on to be the better kind of gundogs.She was then bred to a Ol' Bad Cliff son and produced R.Ch. Outback's Jo Jo and those littermates were also nice.
Shady Grove's Brite Shine was a special dog out of Shady Grove's Perfect Storm x Branko's Outback Tarzan.She was very quick with an unrelenting machine gun chop.Not being much of a trialer she was only entered in two trials.The Southern Large Pack Championship in Louisiana where they ran for 6 hours and she took 4'th and the National Beagle Club's Triple Challenge in Virginia where she placed,taking 2'nd in the Large Pack Stakes [and being 5 weeks pregnant! ].Shine had been bred to Patch and that cross produced well.
I currently have an older female R.Ch. Shady Grove's Sassy Sierra out of F.C. Turbo Charged Thunder Blue x Branko's Sassy Susie.Sierra championed out in 3 hunts taking back to back firsts and a third in one month.She was bred to a Ninja,Haunted Hill Shaker male and produced a very nice litter that have excelled as gundogs in Ga.,Tn.,Maine and New Hampshire.She is currently bred to a strong linebred Lumberjack x Ali-Baba male and I have high hopes for this cross.
My Rainy dog is out of Sierra's first litter.An extremely athletic bitch she has more hunt,desire and bottom than any beagle I've owned.After running her for 12 straight days in Maine on hare she rested one day and I put her in her first trial at Claremont Beagle Club's licensed Large Pack on Hare trial and after 8 1/2 hours of running she took first.Rainy has been bred once to Puckett Creek's Tn. Driver.I have a very nice 2 year old that can hold her own anywhere and a littermate is making a for real hare hound up in New Hampshire on snow and sod.
Last September I took a trip up to Jonah Staten's in Ohio and picked up a female pup out of Staten's Blue Samurai x Jake's Blue Belle II [I.F.C. Beavercreek's Blue Max ].At 11 months old she is really opening some eyes and Brian Shoulter the breeder says that the littermates are all really cranking.
If you want to breed and you've got the itch,just remember that it starts with the bitch!
Hey B.B. how's it going? Still running ol' Ja-LO? I put alot of miles on behind that old hound when Bill Miller owned him.Steady as a rock.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Dana, I was hoping to hear from you on this post, cause I know you had a fine list of females in your kennel. Past and present. I myself have a couple hounds with that bloodline of dogs you talked about.
I have a 2 yr old female out of Overcomers Captain Jack x Mt Views Ticked up Shelby that I plan on breeding on her next heat cycle. I'm going to breed her to Puckett Creeks Tn Driver. It will be a good line breeding I believe. Actually it be a uncle x Neice cross. This would be pups 3 gen ped.
....................... FC Turbo Powered by Prop
..............IFC Greenwells Reggie
....................... Maravics Blue Girl
Sire...... Puckett Creeks Tn Driver
....................... Knee High Little Man
.............. Shady Groves Ninjas Echo
....................... Shady Groves Dixie Flyer

....................... Shady Groves Patch
................ Overcomers Captain Jack
...................... Shady Groves Brite Shine
Dam... DmD So-Co Sadie Ann
...................... IFC Greenwells Reggie
................. Mt View Ticked up Shelby
....................... Shady Groves Ninjas Echo

And yes Dana. Ole Ja-Lo is still pounding rabbits. He'll be 9 this yr. and I believe he'd run everyday of the week if I'd let him. He's a LPRCH, but to me he's whole lot more. I been looking for a good female that matches up to him to breed to. I would like to get pup out him before he gets to old.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

WELLS WOODS

Post by WELLS WOODS »

Scott Music & Don Hoog from Ohio have developed strong bitch lines through the years.
Wells Woods Kennel
Greg Wells

R.I.P.
FC Brent's Prime Time
FC Wells' Silver Spring
FCGD Wells Woods Valentine

Strange Daze Axle
Talkabout Cleo

pcable

Post by pcable »

I've got a few here!
Cable's Rockin' Ruby: She's retired now but she has been a pleasure to own. She is a grandpup to Shaker on top and great grandpup to Shaker on bottom. She is also a grandpup to Pacesetter on bottom and great grandpup to Jack of All Trades on top. She has been a true Jump Dog, with a great nose, speed, and brains to put it all together. She has never been trialed.
Wireman's Little Ann: She is out of Ruby's littermate sister and a direct AliBaba male. She is only about 12 inches but thinks she's 16. She hunts hard, great nose, as much heart as you can ask for, no quit, brains, and is also a Jump Dog! When rabbit season comes in she is like American Express, I don't leave home without her!!
Cable's Bluegrass Baba Sofia: She is out of Wireman's Little Ann and a direct Alibaba male. At only 12-13 inches, she runs with great speed, hard hunt, great nose, and is showing a lot of potential at only a year old!
John's Sweet Talkin Lady: Pine Lakes and I have a fine dog in her. She has great hunt, good foot(getting better each time out), great nose, and SUPER LINE CONTROL!!! She is out of Awful Bawlin Verswhacker and Conlan's Sweet Caroline. Striker, Shaker, and Ninja, all in one hound. Some of the best crosses of all time in my opinion, wrapped up in one good looking 15 inch female.
Martin's Holly Lynn: Holly is out of Reffett's Ky Mtn Sampson and Brandy II. Heavy line bred Northway. She is also retired. She was a good solid dog with super hunt but a little slower than my others, so I used her to start pups. I've bred her to pure Patch dogs, Superdog males, and linebred Paycheck males and always gotten great results! Just seemed to lose the ones that i kept for some reason. She has been a pleasure to own and a great pet as well. She lost a litter a few years ago and I put a litter of Pit bull pups on her and she raised every last one of them as if they were hers. She even got copperhead bit on one of her teats while nursing these pups and still done a great job!!
Cable's Bluegrass White Freightliner: Whitey Girl is out of Recoil and Ruby. She just started a few days ago. When I put her on the track, she ran it like she'd been doing it for years!! I guess the switch flipped! I have high hopes for her in the future.
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

Cooz's Beagles

Post by Cooz's Beagles »

I've been blessed with 2 very nice bitches. Together they make the perfect team whether running, hunting or trialling they've been an absolute blast to own. The younger of the females became Arha PP champ in a very short time at 2 years old and is very consistent every time I take her out and has places in 4 different trial formats. Clean with decent foot, never run a deer, hunts close but thorough , and hunts with me I bred her and plan to build my kennel up around her breeding. (Harehound (Colby hill x branko X progressive pack bred on dam side) as I have just got into trialling and beagles over the last few years I couldn't have been more pleased with my two females I bought for 75$ each as pups :)

-----------------
Kristina Cusimano
Cooz's Beagles
Arha PP RCH Lone Pine Cooz's Swampin Sammi

Rabbit Fever

Post by Rabbit Fever »

Ive had the pleasure to own quite a few good ones in my 35 years of running. one bitch that made the top grade was My Border Creeks Ms Emily. This hound was a jump dog supreme, med to fast foot, great nose for those cold days. Over her 16 years in my kennel we shot over 3000 Hare in front of her. She lived in the house most of her life. Her breeding was out of Little Cedar River Kennels from the U.P. She had one pup and that pup took on the same traits as her mom. I still have that blood in my kennel and I just love it.

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Glomski's Gin. One of the best bitches I've ever ran and gun hunted with. Track and jump dog.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

You have to think about it.Don t matter how many good males or how outstanding one is.It came from a female.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Rabbit earl, I agree with what you said. I drive myself crazy thinking about bloodline, genetics, traits, etc.
I think majority of time people think about the stud and forget to look at the dam.

Just using Reggie as example- when you think of Reggie, most think Turbo? Reggie is Turbo on top and ninja on bottom. If you really wanna get technical Turbo and Ninja all go back to the same group of hounds. So what if Reggie pulled most of his traits from his momma? Would that make him known more as Ninja? Or is it just a matter of opinion who had more accomplishments? Or was it a matter of who owned and advertised him?

Breeding is a unpredictable thing. You never know.

Example- a man and woman who both were very athletic growing up. Multiple kinds of sports, have two children. One may enjoy sports, while the other chose to exercise their brain by being knowledgable.

I don't think the females are given as much credit. Like Rabbitearl said, he came from a female. I have seen ton of peds there top side be loaded with FC, RCH, GRCH, but bottom side be just a bunch good ole rabbit dogs.

All we can really do is breed the best we got, to the best we can, and hope for the best.
I do like a good linebred dog, the genes are in their somewhere, but you always have theory of the two athletes.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

Casey Harner

Post by Casey Harner »

Why is it that the stud is to blame. I've seen several members on this site feel like it starts with the female.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

BB Beagles

Post by BB Beagles »

Casey, a lot of pressure is put on the stud. Especially when advertised hard. It takes 2 to tango.
Wonder what it be like if we had a pimp page advertising our best females?

I've talked bout it before on other post, Blue Ninja produced over 50 FCs in 40 ? breedings. There had to be 1 or more FCs in every litter. To me he was a proven reproducer. And again Reggie has some his blood in him, but is he has good reproducer?

A stud or dam cannot be blamed if breeding doesn't produce what a persons wanting. Genetic mesh up just wasn't there. If they choose to repeat, they might get whole litter of champs. Genetics may meshed up differently? Breeding is a gamble. Genetic mesh up is out of are hands. We just try are best to match up the best we can.
BONE BOX BEAGLES

pcable

Post by pcable »

Great point Rabbitearl. They all come from a female.
BB you hit the nail on the head "breeding is a gamble"! We can't control how the genes mesh up! All we can do is stack the odds a little bit. That's why I like linebreeding! Take dogs with proven producing bloodlines and line breed and you'll come closer IMO to reproducing the traits that you want. Striker, Shaker, Ninja, and Ali-baba lines all seem to continue producing quality hounds down thru the years and generations. That is why I have the dogs that I have in my kennels.
IF A DOG WON'T HUNT, IT CAN'T JUMP RABBITS!!!
Owner Co-Owner
Cables Ragin' Recoil
Cables Rockin Ruby
Cables Tuff Baba Clyde
Martin's Holly Lynn
Wireman's Little Ann

outrider66

Post by outrider66 »

This is a great post its nice to see the girls getting some attention ! i can remember when the word BROOD BITCH seemed common around the beagle world i grew up around.
Being a long time coonhunter i also realized that the word BROOD didnt fly to well with coonhunters. ive produced gr nite chs and some real nice rabbit dogs but i will admit
i didnt breed world beater females. just some good old dogs i didnt/dont mind steppin in the woods with. I think the best is yet to come for all beaglers with more focus being
put on the females and the reproducing ability of males then on just titles alone ! Again great post!

Lance

Post by Lance »

PPGRC Lincoln Ridge Ginger

The only female to ever win the Progressive Pack US Championship twice. Did it as an open and grand and also had a second place finish in the champ class. Ginger can get up and roll or she can walk out the tough ones. With the influx of rougher faster dogs in PP, Ginger always keeps a level head and runs her rabbit. She is without a doubt the best I have owned and will be my measuring stick for a long time to come.
LINCOLN RIDGE BEAGLES...GET DOWN, BELLY CRAWL, ROOT EM' OUT TYPE..
http://www.wix.com/llmccarthy74/lincoln-ridge-beagles1